“Internet worked, but desperately needs improvement”

Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)
Ranked #29 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I've stayed here multiple times simply because it is the best hotel in the Cascade area of Grand Rapids. But "best" means two stars at best - which yes really says something about the Courtyard and such down the street. At least this time the internet worked fairly well, which is a huge improvement over my last stay. But this property still desperately needs a couple million of improvement to take it to three stars. Beds are ok, but decor is seriously from the 80s, any bathroom where you have to almost step over the toilet to get out of the shower doesn't merit more than two stars, the bathroom door was broken, tiles and molding are chipped, hallways are dark and smell stale. The lounge and restaurant are definitely out of the 80s. Drinks were bad, $11 for a plastic bowl and some Cheerios is nuts, coffee was the worst I've tasted in years. Thank God for Starbucks and Panera Bread down the street. This property is a serious drag on the Crowne Plaza brand.

Room Tip: Pray that it has been cleaned.
1  Thank LeanCEO
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear LeanCEO.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations regarding the condition of our facilities and the service you received at the restaurant and lounge. Your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Thank you again for your feedback and we all hope to get a chance of hosting you again on your next visit.

Karen C

Reviewed September 3, 2012

This was the third time I've stayed at a Crowne Plaza. The first two I stayed at, were excellant. This one is not. The others were in Auburn Hills, Mi. and Wauwatosa Wi.

The reason I'm calling this review "nice bones" is that the overall building structure, is built of quality materials... full brick exterior, heavy doors... etc... The skin is aging, and it's showing, and seems to be by neglect of housekeeping and the maintainance crews.

The stain on the interior doors is cracking and fading and needs to be refinished. Some of the hardware is needing some attention. The sliding doors of the closet come off the track easily, and some screws were missing from the door knob trim. If there was once sound insulation in the walls, it has deteriorated, and noise from adjoining rooms could be heard. Lots of areas need paint touch-ups.

Housekeeping seems to be cleaning the essentials (the bed sheets, vacuuming the floor, cleaning the surfaces), but isn't inspecting other areas carefully. There was a booger embedded in the shower curtain, the balcony area looked like it hasn't been cleaned in months. Housekeeping needs to do a better job on informing the maintainance crew on items needing attention.

The bathtub had one of those creepy, multi-legged bugs that scamper about. I quickly disposed of it before my wife noticed.

The service desk people were friendly and efficient and did an "A+" job.

The free wi-fi had fair signal strength, and I didn't notice any dropped signals.

If you are expecting a good comfortable bed, and the basics, you won't be disappointed. If you come with high hopes of perfection, you won't be satisfied. I'd recommend this place if you get a Hotwire or Priceline bargain, but if you are paying full price, You'd do much better at the two hotels, just West of here (across from the Meijer store). They have good complimentary breakfasts.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on the fourth floor. Some rooms have balconies
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
John L, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear flintjarvis,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give such a detailed review. We are pleased that you found the front desk service to be friendly and efficient and flattered to be described as "A+". Our Maintenance and Housekeeping departments both have the same high level of expectations and will be taking your comments seriously to ensure that on your next stay with us you will significant improvements!

Kindest Regards,

Todd Clark
Guest Services Manager

Reviewed September 2, 2012

I was worried about this hotel after reading the bad reviews here (after booking on priceline). However we were pleasantly surprised with a very nice hotel, staff was awesome, rooms were clean, indoor/outdoor pool and hot-tub/sauna were very nice and clean. The location was perfect. My wife is VERY picky and she was very happy!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lumax99
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Have stayed here before for baseball tourney because of the larger in/out pool and patio area. Standard older/smaller rooms, tight bathroom/sink for two people trying to get ready. First room we were given/entered had not been serviced, mind you this was at 6:30pm check-in. Second room looked clean, although when I sat down to check some email, noticed a larger white pill on the floor which should have been noticed when the bed was made or floor vacuumed...glad I was not with any young children. Hotel is older property, mold around shower tub and what appeared to be updated tile/stone. Countertops in bath/dresser replaced/updated in recent year(s); however, the dresser drawers were not working very well. Hallways dark and dank and hotel design makes getting around confusing at best. Can't speak to on-site dining, although it was pretty empty everytime I walked past. Soccer/hockey tournament going on during stay, kids running the hallways until about 11p. Hotel seems like a good place for a team, pool area is most redeaming quality.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2012

Dear LansingMark,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Ferdinand G.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Don't be fooled by the pictures; this place looks new n the pictures in reality is is extremely dirty. The door handle to open the room door is so dirty and worn out you will not want to open it. The hallways are dirty, dust is visible everywhere. The room smells musty. The bathroom smells of mold and fungus. There is black stuff growing on the grout around the bathtub. The bath towels are placed on a lower shelf in the bathroom; this shelf is touching the bathroom garbage can. I was afraid of touching the shower curtain. Tape is being used to hold up torn sofas, shower curtains and window curtains. There is tons of dust in the balcony; do yourself a favour and do not open the window curtain. The pillows are worn out. I did not choose to stay here I was travelling with others and they chose this place.

Positive: The Internet was fast and reliable. The front desk staff and the shuttle staff was friendly. The breakfast restaurant was OK.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any good rooms.
3  Thank KeepGoingWest
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I was happy about the rate. I was a little disappointed that the refrigerator was removed and there was a separate charge. The shampoo looked like it was refilled because of the air gap in the middle of the bottle. The fan in the bathroom was useless. After taking a shower it took 15 minutes to see through the mirror.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear Gen0vese,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am sorry that the refrigerator was removed in your room and you experienced inconvenience in the bathroom. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide rates that are competitive in the area. Please accept our apologies for falling below your expectations. While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Lera M

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Noisy, out dated and not kept up, beds are old and have a swayback. Pillows are like rocks and you need to bring your own. Desperately need paint. Walls are thin. Bathroom was dark and dingy. There is an unpleasant odor to the rooms. Paid $55/night and it was not a particularly good value even at that price. Rated 3.5 stars, more accurately 2 stars.

Room Tip: There is not a good room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear joypaslov,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you did not find our hotel to your liking. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Despite your disappointment I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Karen G.