“Friendly staff, clean hotelrooms. Very 1979s retro.”

Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)
Ranked #29 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed March 11, 2012

This is my second stay at the Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids Airport and I enjoyed both visits. The hotel staff are very friendly and helpful, but then that goes for the good citizens of Grand Rapids too.
Hotel is very retro from 1979, including the wild 1970's striped room and hallways carpeting. My only complaint was the mediocre gym equipment that was in disrepair. In fact, when I arrived to work out, the current guests had to warn me which half of the treadmills didn't work properly. The single Universal machine was rusty and squeaked when you used it. Irritating.

Also, my tub drain was clogged and I was forced to stand in two inches of dirty water, very unpleasant. I hope maintenance will address the problem for the next room guest to avoid.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed February 20, 2012

It is a fine place to stay if you are on the Eastside of Grand Rapids. Not great facilities or service but not bad either.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Close to airport, airport shuttle, good front desk, rooms were very nice with huge flat screen tv.

Hotel is older, and they need to pay attention to the worn and grungy hallways... But overall I had a relaxing, quiet stay.

Oh, inside pool and restaurants across street

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank FlyMom10
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Grand Rapids is a great place to visit and stay. I have traveled for 20+ years for business and pleasure, and stayed in many Crowne Plaza's. I am sorry to say this Crowne Plaza needs a facelift. Not up to the standards I have seen in most Crown Plaza hotels. I checked in later at night, and did not have my rewards card number handy. I asked if they could look it up. I was told no, they did not have access to that, but if I went to my room, I could look it up online and call the front desk with the number. Seriously? This is a CROWN PLAZA... I am a rewards member, and have ALOT of points.... take care of me! I also saw 20 bottles of water behind the desk. Did they offer me one to take to my room? NO. I get better treatment at the Hampton Inn! NOT user friendly.

Internet service was slow, at best. The room was not up to CP standards. It was "clean", but outdated. Looked like they had tried to update some things, but not others. Lighting in the bathroom was horrible, but the bed was clean and comfy. Linens clean. Bathroom was half updated, half 1970's. A large hotel, but not alot of spirit in the staff and not to the level of most CP's I have stayed at. Not one of the better hotels avail in the GR area. Come on, CP, step it up to your standards! I know times are tough, but you have a great opportunity in GR to be a leading hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank sheeeebs
Andrea J, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2012

Dear Sheeeebs:

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids and for taking the time to share your experience. I appreciate the confidence that we can be one of the leading hotels in Grand Rapids! We feel that way as well, and work hard at improving our service levels each day. I was disappointed to hear of your Priority club treatment at check in. Our management staff does have the ability to look up Priority information and could have done that the next morning for you prior to check out. You also should have received a complimentary bottle of water with your upgrade to our executive level. I will use your review to further train my staff about the importance of not only our priority club members, but all guests of our hotel! We definitely aim to be one of Grand Rapids finest! Thank you again, and I hope we can serve you again soon!

Reviewed December 12, 2011

Spent the night for business as all the downtown hotels were booked. Great older hotel - very well kept with an excellent staff. Only downside is there is no entertainment in the evening. So if you want to sit in the bar and listen to some music - have them put on a radio.

Clean rooms, nice beds, nice pool

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Andrea J, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience at the Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids! We appreciate you giving us the opportunity to serve you when the downtown area was sold out. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again the next time you are in Grand Rapids.

Reviewed November 24, 2011

I visit this area 4 times a year to visit my nearby mother in-law and have had nothing but problems - and I travel several times a month domestic and overseas generally with no issues elsewhere. For a couple years we tried the Marriott Courtyard down the street but almost always had noise problems. Then the Hilton, but also had noise and service was pretty pathetic. So this time I thought I'd try the Crowne Plaza - I even paid extra for the "executive floor".

To be fair, let's start off with the good part: The bed is very comfortable, the room was clean, and the staff - especially in the executive lounge - were very friendly. It was also quiet - but that will happen when there's a total of 5 cars in the parking lot. Slow week?

But here's my big rub. The nature of my job requires me to stay in email/internet contact. The hotel advertized high speed wireless, which these days has become pretty much a minimum expectation. When I first tried to log on I noticed problems, then discovered it was very intermittent even with a strong wireless connection, often dying completely. I contacted several people, had several people say it was going to be fixed, but nothing. Maybe I'll even attach my screenshot of a speed test - yes it was dial up speed. Luckily my mother in-law did have a real high speed connection and since I had to spend a lot of time over there, I got work done - and I also took advantage of the mini hot spot capability of my iPhone. But this is a deal-breaker for me. True, reliable high speed internet is simply a requirement for my job.

Some other notes: my big complaint at most hotels was true here: lack of power outlets to charge cell phones (especially next to the bed where I can also use it as my alarm), computers, iPad, etc. There was one single outlet on the desk lamp, and the lamp had to be half off the desk in order for chargers to fit the orientation of the outlet. The carpet was a bit worn, and the toiletries were no where near appropriate for the supposed four star category of this hotel. Sorry, this is really a three star at best. The free breakfast and evening drinks in the executive club lounge were pretty pathetic, but since I just eat cereal in the morning it was ok - and better than spending $20 like I'm often forced to do at other hotels. On Thanksgiving the lounge was closed and we were told to partake in the "continental breakfast" in the lobby - strange tasting coffee and just some cold danishes - no cereal or other options. Gee... and I paid extra for the upgrade to the executive floor... hmmm...

But the bed was good, and I slept well. If that's all you need, then the Crowne Plaza is an option. If you need reliable internet, look elsewhere. If you want true four star then I guess you're heading into the JW or similar closer to downtown - there's nothing in this part of town.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank LeanCEO
Andrea J, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2011

I am sorry you had such a difficult time with the internet during your stay. This has been our focus area the past few months and we just recently changed our server. I am glad you had a quiet and comfortable stay with great service, but I definitely agree with you that good, reliable internet is a must! I will make sure our engineering department is continuously monitoring our routers to ensure our speed is up to par. Thank you for sharing both your positive experiences with your suggestions for improvement. I hope that you will give us another try when in Grand Rapids again visiting family.

Reviewed November 19, 2011

The only real complaint I can muster about this hotel is that it's nearly impossible to find the parking lot entrance. You have to turn before you actually get to the hotel, but the turn is not labeled. We ended up driving *to* the hotel, then *past* the hotel, completely befuddled as to how we were supposed to get there. We turned right at the light immediately after, and then managed to drive through two parking lots to the parking area for the Crowne Plaza. For the entire length of our stay, we had issues remembering where we were supposed to turn.

Check in was very fast and easy, and the decor is very professional. The room was spacious and well cleaned, although there was mold on parts of the caulking in the tub. I understand it is difficult to clean those nooks and crannies, but some bleach spray works wonders. The room was also quiet - I'm not sure if it was because there weren't very many visitors at the time, or because they have enough insulation to effectively cocoon the rooms, but it was much appreciated.

Another nice touch - the bedding was very soft, and the room didn't smell funny. Smell is the first thing I notice about a hotel room, and one of the hardest things to control effectively, with so many people and situations in each room. If a room doesn't have an odd scent, I know that the staff is cleaning effectively.

We used the hot tub each night of our stay. The indoor pool/spa area was spotless and at a very comfortable temperature. The sauna was in perfect working condition, and also spotlessly clean.

We decided to forgo the hotel restaurant breakfast for IHOP, which is less than 5 minutes away. The breakfast didn't look up to $9.99 standards, and we were craving pancakes, anyway.

All in all, very comfortable and worth the rate.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Shawn D
Andrea J, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2011

We are glad you enjoyed your stay at the Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Providing a quiet, comfortable and relaxing stay is our goal and it sounds like that was achieved! I will pass along the bathtub issue to our new housekeeping manager and make sure to address the signage with our GM. Thank you again for sharing your experience and suggestions, we are always striving to take our service to the next level!

616-285-1349