All reviews ford museum road noise within walking distance public museum across the river pearl street light sleeper van andel devos place room was clean and comfortable art prize definitely stay here again sink pillows gerald breweries proximity
Selected filters
Reviewed May 7, 2019

Went to my room, it was cold, warming system broken, the only hunger with clips broken, room phone out of service. Went to front desk to complain at 6:00 pm. Back at 9:00, room was cold, warming system out of service, hunger not replaced, phone out of service. Never seen anything lime this in more than 20 years of worldwide travels. Stay far.

Date of stay: May 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Heather E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

AndreaG5415,

Please accept my sincere apology for the difficulties you encountered during your stay. Your experience is certainly not typical for our hotel and team. Your comments have been noted for follow up and coaching with our team.

Thank you for your frank comments.

Safe Travels!

Reviewed April 22, 2019 via mobile

Check in quick and easy, very friendly front desk staff. Clean and comfortable room, great pool area. Within walking distance to event we attended. Within walking distance of alot of great things downtown and along the river. Restaurant so so, better choices within walking distance or for delivery. Definitely would stay again. Made our birthday celebrations great!

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2019 via mobile

Two things save this from a 1 dotted review....staff & location!

Staff is a solid 5 stars!!!!!

Location can't be beat for anything downtown.

The staff was INCREDIBLE! Every single person I interacted with was eager to help & appeared genuinely happy to assist while fully answering every question I had. Everyone at the desk morning, afternoon & night were great!

The lobby is rather small but is very nice all together a good area to meet in.

Uuugh....now to the room.
It has been at least a decade since I've been in a hotel room without a fridge or microwave. The walls & decor are definitely dated. Beds were not cozy at all. When sitting on the edge you not only hear springs crunching but you feel them as well. As you lay down the comfort level gets better but not by much. You are given a selection of pillows (soft, medium, firm) which weren't that bad.
The bathroom is approximately 5' x '5. Standing at 6'2" I have to say it's a VERY tight fit. I started losing hot water both days after a very short period of time for some reason. The tub filled up rather fast while showering as well. To top it off in the bathroom, fortunately the door did close as the tub faucet dripped & would've drove me nuts if I could hear it.

Breakfast was wretched. Very difficult to screw up eggs or biscuits & gravy but the cooks managed to do it 2 days in a row. Medium eggs were cooked to death & hard. Biscuits were mediocre and the gravy was hands down some of the worst I've had! The gravy had a heavy flour taste and burnt flour at that. The service was the only good experience here. Kathleen, Emma & Cecylia were all outstanding!

For the rate & location I expected much, much better.

Trip type: Traveled on business
Heather E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2019

Trichard01,

Thank you for your candid and detailed review. First, let me say how happy I am to hear that our team really pulled through for your stay. Second, let me address your concerns about your guest room. I do apologize for and will address the condition of your room with my team. The exciting news is that during 2019 we will be starting a total transformation of the interior of the building - starting with our guest rooms! In the meantime, our team will review your guest room and make the needed repairs or reasonable replacements to meet the comfort of our guests.

I have brought your comments about your breakfast food experience to our Food & Beverage Director. He has already made adjustments to a few recipes to improve taste, texture, and quality for breakfast. Additional coaching has also taken place with our new breakfast cooks as well.

Again, I truly thank you for your candid comments as these give me the specifics needed to improve our overall guest experience. I hope you would give us another opportunity to serve you should your travels bring you back to Grand Rapids.

Heather E.

Reviewed April 8, 2019 via mobile

This hotel was great. The staff was so friendly and the rooms were great.. Paid an extra $5.00 each and got this wonderful breakfast. Walking distance to the concert. Nice bar and restaurant inside of the hotel..

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2019 via mobile

We were in Grand Rapids for business, the rooms were in a block reservation. $149 night we had a 2 Queen room. The room was clean and housekeeping was good.
The block rooms do not have a fridge or microwave or complimentary breakfast.
The rooms are crowded/ small. That is a horrible price to have to pay for the room you get. I have paid that price for a room in other hotels in a downtown area that were much nicer and much larger that had fridge and microwave and a morning breakfast. Sure don’t get what you should for what you pay. I expected much nicer.
the front desk staff were very short with us during the day.
The lady that was being trained during the day was very nice the rest of the day staff could definately follow her politeness and courtesy.

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2019

Hi DougK762,

Thank you for choosing us. We love to be your place of choice whenever traveling for business or leisure. We’re happy that you liked our tidy rooms, but disheartened to learn that the size of the room did not exceed your standard. A complete amenity is what we wish to offer and I apologize that we fell short during your visit. Our team works hard to give the best service whenever needed and I glad you found comfort with our staff. Your comments will be shared with the management to ensure your next guestroom is absolutely perfect for all your needs. We truly hope we can further impress you for your future stays.

We are hoping for your continuous patronage and will make your next stay more memorable.

Happy to assist,