“Love it!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Dearborn, Michigan
“Love it!”
Reviewed August 28, 2014

I have stayed here numerous times and it's always a pleasant experience. Clean, quiet rooms. Friendly staff. Reasonable rates. The bar & restaurant are wonderful. Within walking distance to numerous bars, restaurants and attractions. Everything you could ask for. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Erin H, Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, September 8, 2014
Bud K,

Thank you so much for your great comments about your recent stay! We always love to hear that our guests enjoyed every aspect of their stay and are passing on the word to others. As always, we hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Somis, CA
Reviewed August 27, 2014

We stay often at holiday inn express hotels. This hotel was close to where we needed to be, so we gave it a shot. My room came with two beds & I was told there was a charge to change to one bed??! That was odd... With how many families are traveling today, it would be nice if this 3 star hotel had a comp breakfast. For the price we paid, it was just ok..

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Erin H, Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Avocado-gal,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us. We are sorry to hear your experience was less than satisfactory. Your comments are important to us and will be addressed with our team as we are always looking for areas to improve, both our service and our guest experience. We hope that this does not discourage you from returning, giving us another chance to show you what we, and the great city of Grand Rapids can offer.
East Lansing, Michigan, United States
Reviewed August 24, 2014

Had an amazing stay at the Downtown Grand Rapids Holiday Inn! I cant say enough about how great the customer service was, i called for a roll-away it was there with in 3 minutes, i saw a little rench on my thermostat when i went to turn down the air - called again to the front desk and the same housemen was back within 3 minutes to fix the problem. the Night Time Manager (Jim or Tim) was amazing and kept it peaceful yet let us still have fun! I manage a hotel in Chicago, IL - I personally would stay at this hotel anytime and recommend it to anyone! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Erin H, Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Kyle R,

We appreciate you taking the time to leave such great comments about your stay with us. Hearing from a fellow hotelier who knows what great service is, your comments are very important to us! We will make sure to pass along your comments to all of our staff and hope that next time your in Grand Rapids you will give us another opportunity to impress! See you soon.
RobynB1201
Reviewed August 24, 2014

I am an IHG Platinum member, and I made this reservation several months ago as a night-before-the-wedding/place-to-prepare-the-morning-of for my daughter and her bridesmaids. I called a few days beforehand to check on potential upgrades, and Samantha was so polite and so helpful in assisting my with questions and discussing different potential room options. We settled on an Executive Suite with a King bed and a rollaway, and the room was perfect for the girls that night, but especially for all of us in the morning when we were working on make-up, hair-dressing, etc. Parking was plentiful and free, which was great for the girls who came to assist with make-up and hair. The room was clean and quiet, and my daughters received extra towels upon request. We didn't try the restaurant, but I imagine that having it right in the hotel is handy. I was very satisfied with the way we were treated, and I would recommend this property to anyone staying in the Grand Rapids area.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
RobynB1201,

Thank you for taking the time to post such wonderful comments about your recent stay! We are glad to hear that your room worked out perfectly for both sleeping accommodations and getting ready for the big day. We will make sure to pass on your great staff comments and hope to see you back soon for the next big event!
Rio Rancho
Reviewed August 22, 2014

I am a Gold Member of the IHG Rewards Club. I normally stay in Holiday Inn Express Hotels but since we were going to a function that was within walking distance of the hotel we decided to book what I thought would be a King Suite at the Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown. The room was much smaller than what we normally get at a Holiday Inn Express, but it was adequate, clean and comfortable. The real kicker came the next morning. We went to the hotel restaurant (The Pearl Street Grill) for breakfast. It was about 8:45AM Aug 22, 2014 and there were people occupying 4 tables in the restaurant with 2 waitresses. Half of the occupied tables had 2 people each and the others had 5 people each. One waitress was doing something with napkins at a serving station (not waiting of customers), the other waitress was tending to one table. That waitress walked past us 3 times and never once acknowledged that we were present in the room. No eye contact. We waited for almost 15 minutes and got up and walked to the cashiers station and complained. The response we got was "OK". Realizing we were not going to get any other response we went to the front desk. The response there was "I will tell the restaurant manager". We were not going to get any other response or action so we went up to our room (205). We ended up having breakfast and all other meals at a café in the Amway Grand Hotel on the other side of the river but within walking distance of the Holiday Inn. Normally when a waitress or waiter are not able to serve you right away they acknowledge your existence and tell you they will be right with you. This hotel believes in just ignoring customers. This was our 1st and last stay at this hotel. Evidently the Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express properties have very different rules to live by.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Paul J
Paul J,

First, let me apologize for your experience at our restaurant. To say the least, I am very concerned about your experience from start to finish. This is not what I have come to expect from my team. Please know that your comments are taken very seriously and we will be working with all team members on service expectations so this does not happen again in the future. We hope that this unfortunate event does not discourage you from giving us another opportunity in the future to make it right and show you the level of service you deserve.
Ontario, California
Reviewed August 11, 2014

The boyfriend and I stayed here on our Western Michigan Beercation. It's right in downtown and you can walk anywhere from here.

I had initially booked it through the hotel website itself, but ended up getting a deal on Priceline for a WAY cheaper price.

The staff was very nice and helpful, parking was free and safe. We enjoyed our stay here.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Erin H, Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
SoCalC8,

Thank you for taking the time to post comments about your recent stay. Its great to hear that our staff was accommodating and you enjoyed all the amenities our property has to offer. We hope to see you again in the future for another great stay!
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Checked in on August 10, 2014 and checked out August 11 (of the same year, obviously). Arrived at about 8:00 PM and quickly checked in without any hesitation. Asked some questions about what was around and was given all sorts of great information.

I asked for a late check out because I can't check into my next destination until 3:00 PM and Emily enrolled me in the rewards program and let me know that I was scheduled to have a 2:00 PM checkout. All in all it took about 5 minutes.

I should also note that Emily initiated conversation, was very welcoming, and was helpful with making change for $100. Coming from past hospitality experience I have to say that it's nice to be greeted with the same standard that I gave guests when I worked in the industry.

Later that evening we were starving and asked the front desk for suggestions on where to go. I apologize but I forget the girl's name. She was working with Emily at the front desk. I forget her name but want to make sure she gets credit if any management reads this! Anyhow, she asked us what we liked and since we were open minded, she grabbed a map and I asked her where she'd go. She suggested a place called Z's Sports Bar. It's across from the JW and it's really good so I definitely suggest it. Great food and a ton of beer. I like beer.

We came back from dinner and hit the pool (Open until 11:00). I will say that the pool looked like it hadn't been cleaned in quite a few hours. There were towels all over the place. I get that it can be busy in hotels so I didn't hold it against anybody. While I was in the hot tub engineering came in and checked the chlorine levels so it's not like the pool is neglected by any means.

The room was pretty solid. We got an executive king and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I come from the land of Starwood and I'm spoiled by Westin but this room was a nice treat. It had pretty much a fully functioning kitchen in it. Counter top, microwave, sink, refrigerator, coffee pot. Not bad!

Bathroom was small but that's only because I come from Westin and I'm used to huge bathrooms. It was a standard bathroom for a hotel and it was clean and in great shape.

The bed was huge and not that comfortable but I practice martial arts so I'm always sore.

The gym is in great shape but lacks anything work using. There s a bench and a few dumbells, a bosu ball, yoga mat, treadmill, eliptical, and some other cardio machine. I would have used it but there wasn't even a place to do pull ups so I opted out for working out in the hotel room. It was plenty big to do yoga, body weight exercises, and more.

All in all this is a really nice place, especially in regards to a Holiday Inn. They seem to have really changed their image which is nice.

I think the price was around $180 for the night (booked third party even though hotels hate that - sorry guys, I'm poor!). Anyway, I don't travel often but when I do I always make sure to leave a review if it was good or bad and I have to say that over all this place was pretty stellar for the price. If you're spoiled by four diamond places then you might not agree but if you are a budget traveller this will definitely be a higher class establishment!

Room Tip: Get an executive king away from the elevator. It's incredibly loud. I'm not a picky sleeper...