“Booking Error and Would not go Good on it”

Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown
Ranked #24 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I booked a room here on what I thought was a conference rate and for what ever reason I did not get the rate when I checked on the reservation. I think it was because I used the link on the hotel webpage and didn't know I may have had to use a different link. They would not do anything to help me out and to get the better rate they told me I could cancel the reservation. Not my idea of good business management.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Dear Denise s,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. However, I am sorry if the level of customer service received at the hotel was unsatisfactory.This feedback will be shared with the management that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Charisse V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Our stay was for 2 nights to being our pilgrimage to as many Michigan micro-brews as possible. It was during the Memorial Day weekend so I'm sure prices were a little inflated. This hotel is the only one we found downtown that did not charge for parking (the others averaged $16 / night).

Check in and check out were friendly and painless. The hotel and grounds were clean and attractive. There is a small restaurant and a separate bar in the hotel that we did not use, so we have no idea about prices or quality.

We had a King room with a mini-kitchen and TV area. The room was plenty big enough for our needs. We booked late, and ended up with a room right across from the elevator ... when people were getting on and off the elevator we could hear them clearly. Luckily there wasn't much late night activity.

The bed was comfortable except for the combination comforter / blanket that most hotels are going to ... and I totally HATE. You end up being either too hot under it, or too cold if you push it down. The thermostat seemed to have a mind of its own, changing temperatures on us.

One downside of the hotel is it is directly by US 131, so road noise can be an issue. We turned the fan on to blow constantly and that helped, along with the bellies full of beer we had when we got back to the room.

The hotel is an easy walk to most if not all of the downtown attractions. Overall, we were happy with our stay, would recommend the hotel to others, and will consider staying here again the next time we're in the area.

Room Tip: Avoid being near the elevator - sound proofing isn't great.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This hotel has a great location and is much more affordable than the other options downtown. The restaurant isn't the best, but there are so many options available downtown that you can walk to, there's no point in eating at the hotel restaurant anyway. The front desk is always friendly and willing to help out in any way they can. Also, parking is abundant and free here, which is another advantage over the other downtown hotels. The Holiday Inn is not as luxurious as the other hotels in the area. I have stayed at the others, too, and I usually opt to save a little money and stay here. I will say that, if it is a cold time of year, the other hotels are attached to a lot of downtown attractions by a covered walkway, so that is one thing to consider.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Clean hotel, much less expensive than other nearby options. Very convenient that we could walk to breweries downtown. Parking was no problem to just pull in, right off the highway. Quiet, easy to sleep. Not really a lot of breakfast options nearby though, not even a Starbucks. I think there was a Biggby coffee or something like that relatively close though.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

Went here this past Thursday night and stayed in a double room. Was. Pleasantly surprised by how updated and well kept the hotel was. Very very clean as well!!!! Was extremely satisfied with my stay especially for the price! Also the free wifi was high speed and parking at the hotel was very convenient!!! Will definitely stay here again if I'm in the area!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 16, 2014

I stayed here for a convention at the De Vos Center. The king room was comfortable and well maintained. I wish the bath towels were thicker and larger, and that the heating/cooling unit was a little quieter. Ordered room service for breakfast and when the eggs came "over easy" instead of as ordered, they were cheerfully and quickly replaced. This hotel is a pretty good walk to the De Vos Center but doable if the weather is nice. All in all a good alternative if the Amway is booked. Bonus: parking and wi fi are free.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 7, 2014

This Holiday Inn is a little "tired." It is kept clean and there are eating facilities on the property. The location is convenient to the Grand Rapids Public Museum and the Gerald Ford Museum.

I found that I was 'nickeled-and-dimed' to death. If you wanted breakfast included, you had to let reservations know at time of booking, at an up-charge. Not all rooms came with a refrigerator. Ones that did had to be specified at booking for an additional charge. If your room did not have a refrigerator, you could get a portable one for half the price of one that came with the room.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Ellen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Ed A,
I apologize that our team did not do a through job describing the varying room types available at our Holiday Inn. We do try to offer a variety of rooms with different combinations of features to allow our guests options that might fit their requirements. We appreciate your posting and candid comments that we can use to improve our reservation taking skills. Safe travels to you in the future.