“Very Impressed!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Michigan, USA
“Very Impressed!”
Reviewed September 30, 2008

This is not your typical Days Inn. It is a fully staffed hotel with marble floors, lounges and restaurants, beautiful rooms and comfortable beds.

Staff is friendly, hotel is clean and conveniently located.

You get a lot more than you pay for.

• Liked — Everything in the hotel was nice, and well above the price point.
  • Disliked — they do not have automatic doors, so anyone with a stroller or a wheelchair would have to seek assistance.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Kristyn417

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviewed September 4, 2008

I was a bit nervous about booking the Days Hotel because of a few earlier reviews. But the location (across the street from the Gerald R. Ford Museum) made it irresistible. The hotel is just off the freeway, with a large parking lot, and an easy walk to museums and restaurants. I sometimes wonder whether rave reviews are justified; in this case, they are. This is a very comfortable multistory hotel with friendly staff, who told us all the rooms have been renovated. We didn't try the restaurant or the pool, so can't comment on them. We would definitely stay here again and, have recommended the hotel to our friends and relatives who might have the good fortune to visit Grand Rapids. We are accustomed to having a continental breakfast at Days Inns, but this seems to be more of a hotel, and we didn't mind that breakfast wasn't included.

• Liked — Comfort, location, price
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gweez
Wisconsin
Reviewed July 25, 2008

My wife and I were very impressed with this hotel and their staff. The room was in great shape and very clean, and a great price on our weekend stay. The staff set up reservations for us at a local restauraunt and they treated us like we were a DeVos or VanAndel in the city and we owe it to Troy at the desk. I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Liked — staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 24, 2008

Once in awhile, frequent travellers will find an unsung star in the accomodations constellation. Such was the case with a recent stay at the Days Hotel in downtown Grand Rapids. This property occupies a great location, a block west of the Grand River across from the Gerald Ford Presidential Library, a riverside park, and a museum. The riverwalk is a block away and the center of downtown a short walk over the bridge. Freeway access is very convenient with entrance and exit ramps to US 131 immedialtely adjacent to the hotel.

Aside from location, the hotel features a stylish refurbishing of what used to be a budget Days Inn Hotel. The remaining remodeling seems to be concentrated on the fourth floor and guests are not placed in rooms there. The resulting update has brought this facility into the new millenium with modern furnishings, upgraded finishes, and a comforting and welcoming feel upon entering the lobby. The rooms, traditional in size and scope, feature a pleasant and modern decor, flat screen television, and a refrigerator.

The staff were very friendly, professional, and accomodating. Even cleaning staff and maintenance men would open doors if they noticed we were approaching. Such service at a hotel in this price range is rare and reflects outstanding management and training.

Some of the other benefits found at the Days Hotel included free computer use adjacent to the front desk, a pool and whirlpool, a fun lobby bar, a restaurant that was inexpensive and offered friendly and efficient service, and free parking in the hotel lot and a nearby ramp.

The Days Hotel is that rare blend of a refurbished property with new management that is trying to reposition itself. This property exceeded expections on all accounts and is a great value offering pleasant surroundings at a good price with a fine staff.

• Liked — Value and location
  • Disliked — Insignificant remnants of its budget hotel past
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Grand Rapids MI
Reviewed June 17, 2008

I stayed at the Days Hotel for a girl’s weekend in April. The hotel was fabulous and made our weekend thoroughly enjoyable! The staff was extremely friendly and helpful throughout the weekend. They went above and beyond with every question or request that we had. Everyone from the hotel manger to the house keeping staff always greeted us with a hello and a smile and made sure our stay was going great. The hotel has been newly renovated and was gorgeous! The lobby, restaurant and bar are something you would see in a travel magazine. Our room was also beautiful. It was plenty spacious for the 3 of us and had all accommodations we needed including a fridge and a microwave! We had breakfast at the hotel restaurant the food was outstanding! The lobby bar was a great relaxing place for us to have a drink and appetizers before we headed out on the town. The hotel was centrally located which made it easy for us to walk to all the attractions downtown. Every part of our stay was taken care of by the staff at the hotel. They even had a welcome basket in our room with snacks and bottled water. We had such a great time we are planning on doing it again in August. I would defiantly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay downtown Grand Rapids.

• Liked — The staff was extremely helpful and the hotel was all new and beautifully decoreated!
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank kblubaugh
Michigan
Reviewed June 6, 2008

I am happy to report that I just stayed at the nicest Days Hotel I have ever seen! This hotel has been recently renovated and it is very impressive! The second you step foot into the lobby you know you're not entering your average Days Inn! The interior design and decor makes you feel like your staying in a botique hotel. The rooms are fresh and stylish with very comfortable bedding, again making you feel like you're in a lux hotel. The price and location alone would make this a must stay, but the fabulous design puts it over the top. I also wanted to mention that the staff was very friendly, helpful and professional. They also have a fantastic restaurant and lounge area! I can't say enough what a great stay I had!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
New York City
Reviewed May 19, 2008

I checked in this morning. The first room I was assigned had eight inches of standing water in the bathroom because of a leak. The room was also un-renovated and smelled funny. It looked like your typical Days Inn - horrible bed spread, motel all the way.

I was then assigned a renovated room, but it was a double instead of the king room which I had reserved, and had called to confirm two days earlier. When I spoke to the front desk about switching to a king, which again I had RESERVED, I was told they had none available. I then went in the hallway and saw that there was a king room vacant and being cleaned two doors down. I called back and asked if I could have that room. I was told it was reserved. I said that I had reserved a king room too, but that didn't stop them from putting me in a double - why couldn't they put me in that king? The front desk had no answer, so then I spoke to the manager who still wouldn't move me even though that room was vacant. I feel disregarded as they are refusing to honor my reservation, but are clearly honoring someone else's reservation over me. It is the most horrible, rude service I have ever experienced at a hotel, and I travel for a living, and have stayed at countless hotels.

If you choose to stay here, stay at your own risk. The hotel is still under renovation, which you see when you enter the lobby and read the large sign - but this is not told to you ahead of time. The website makes it look like a nice new hotel but it is really just your run of the mill crappy Days Inn with a lousy, lousy staff who have no regard for their clientele.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
DaysHotelMgt, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, June 24, 2008
We are disappointed that this guest didn't experience exceptional guest service. This guest's reservation was made by a third party travel agency as a part of a group booking. None of the rooms were guaranteed to be of a certain bed type or that upgrades would be extended at no additional cost. Our answers to this guest were truthful in that we did not have any king bedded rooms available for the entire length of their stay. Yes, the hotel is currently under renovations, however, there awere no renovations being performed in the public areas and only one entire floor would have been under renovation during this stay. This area is clearly designated as a renovation area with work being performed only during normal business hours to avoid disturbing our guests. This group is a performing arts group and had special needs in regards to quiet hours, therefore, we even adjusted our renovations to accommodate their request for quiet hours prior to 11 AM. All renovations will be completed by mid-July 2008. There is no doubt that this guest has many opportunities to stay at various types hotels across the country, we are disappointed that our quality and service didn't shine through. Please accept our apologies and the promise that we will work more closely with third party agencies to have a full understanding of their clients' needs prior to arrival.