“Gerald Ford, shuttle capsules, big rivers, oh my!”

Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown
Ranked #19 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersSilver level
Carrboro, North Carolina
“Gerald Ford, shuttle capsules, big rivers, oh my!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel during a visit to Grand Rapids. I was pleasantly surprised by the city. The hotel is right next to a general museum (with an Apollo space capsule in the front yard) and across from the Gerald Ford museum. Neither of which I had time to visit, unfortunately. The hotel is a 5-10 minute walk across the river to downtown where all of the bars and restaurants are.

Service: the check-in was courteous, but seemed rushed. The night staff went above and beyond twice, once to offer to-go condiment cups as make shift contact lens cases at 1am, and another time to change the battery on my door lock, again after midnight.

Restaurant: breakfast was okay, fair prices, but not cheap

Price: although this is a good hotel and the parking is free (unlike others in the area) I still felt it was a little pricey for having to walk downtown and not including breakfast. I did not get a chance to try the pool or the complimentary bikes, these might have improved my feelings on value, so check those out!

• Stayed July 2013
Ellen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Cherreal07,

I am so sorry that you were not able to visit the Gerald R. Ford Museum. It is quite interesting and a true honor for Grand Rapids to be the final resting site for the President and his amazing wife. The Grand Rapids Public Museum provides a great history of the city and always has some top notch exhibits like the Titanic and Bodies Revealed. We are very fortunate to have them next door. I do believe the little extras like the bikes, our dedicated and creative staff, free parking, and unique food and beverage options do offer value. I invite you to visit again when you have a few extra minutes to relax and experience them.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I've stayed here numerous times for weddings, bachelorette parties and recently my own bachelorette party. Perfect location! Great rooms. Nice amenities. Always an awesome stay. Close walking distances to great bars and restaurants. Right in the heart of Grand Rapids!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Ellen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
kikikarpus -

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel in downtown Grand Rapids and for being a frequent guest! We couldn't ask for a better compliment than a great review posting and the privilege of a repeat guest. We, too, believe we have one of the best locations in the best city in Michigan! We look forward for your next stay with us. As always if there is anything we can do to make your stay more comfortable, please don't hesitate to ask! See you soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Pleased. If you can't afford to stay a night at the nicer hotels then this is a perfect way to go. Clean and right next to the river, across and next to museums. I didn't like hearing the traffic noise from 131 though.

• Stayed July 2013
Ellen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
georgie127,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate it very much and know that your fellow travelers do as well. Your review touches upon three areas that we believe are high priorities for our guests. Receiving a good value, along with a clean room in a location that works for you the guest, makes a solid foundation for a great experience. I apologize that the highway noise was not as quiet as you might have hoped. We are currently reviewing specifications for new windows featuring noise reduction abilities. I invite you to try the hotel again in the future and provide us with some more feedback. We value your comments very much! Safe Travels to you!
Danville, KY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

While passing through Michigan we stopped at the Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown because it was across the street from the Gerald Ford Museum, which we enjoyed. This was not your usual Holiday Inn. The decor was excellent, our room was very comfortable, and the restaurant served a delicious breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Ellen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Alicia N,

We are glad that you had the opportunity to experience Pure Michigan! We are proud members of the statewide tourism organization. The Gerald R. Ford museum is exceptional and we consider ourselves fortunate to be just across the street. We are hopeful that you will be traveling through Michigan again soon and would consider it an honor to have you and your friends stay at the Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown. Enjoy the rest of your summer!
Spring Lake, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Downtown Grand Rapids is such a beautiful city with so many things to do, places to eat, etc. The only problem is that staying downtown is rather pricey. There are not that many hotels to chose from to begin with. So I was ecstatic when I found a great rate on Hotwire for the Holiday Inn downtown. It's always risky on Hotwire because you don't know the name of the hotel until after you book, but it worked out this time!!
What a great hotel! I think it gets overshadowed by the the Amway and the Marriot, but it was beautiful, comfortable, and in a great location with a great view. After I booked my room I called the hotel to upgrade to a corner room. I had read on reviews that they were larger and had great views. When we checked in everything was in order and they even remembered to wish us a happy anniversary. The rooms are very modern looking. We had a great view of the city. The bed was comfortable. It was wonderful!!
We ate downtown and saw a show at Devos Hall and walked a very short distance to each location. Grand Rapids is such a nice city that it's worth it just to walk around and enjoy.

So if you are looking for a great place to stay in downtown GR, don't forget to think about this hotel. Sure you can pay $200 plus to stay at the other hotels, but you can get about the same thing, in a great location, for a lot cheaper. It even has free parking which is unheard of for downtown hotels.
Thanks for making our 25 anniversary a great night.
PS - If your not willing to risk hotwire, their normal rates are still a lot lower than the others.

Room Tip: Many wonderful places to eat downtown. Skip the hotel restaurant and venture out into the city!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark W
Ellen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Congratulations again Mr & Mrs Mark M!

I can't tell you how honored we feel to have been part of your 25th anniversary celebration! Your description of Grand Rapids really sums up the city well. It IS a great place and my team and I are lucky to enjoy it daily. Thank you for including our hotel and staff as key components to a positive experience.. We really strive to be the best value for any stay in Grand Rapids. We will look forward to seeing you again soon - but will count on that next anniversary! Safe Travels!
Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Nice Place..........
The whole place was nicely appointed and appeared to be quite well maintained.
I found the bed to be quite comfortable and was not at all put off by the square pillows.
All of the staff I encountered were quite friendly and helpful. I should have mentioned to someone on the staff that the desk chair in room 833 seemed to be defective, as when I leaned back in it, it just kept going until I was lying on the floor. I was unhurt, and it gave my friends a good laugh, so "no big deal", but it might be to someone else.
We encountered no issue with freeway noise, but then road construction kept traffic at a snails pace, so I can't actually weigh in on that issue. I wouldn't recommend breakfast at the Pearl Street Express unless it is included with the room price. It seemed quite "pre-fab", as though it came out of a box.
Overall, it seemed like a nice, cheery, place with friendly people and is in a very good location for taking in the museums and just a short scenic walk to restaurants and nightlife. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank BusterB8
Hello Berman58!

Thank you so much for your review. I love how it offers us some insight into areas that we need to put more focus. Please know that the chair in 833 has been replaced with a brand new chair of a different style. It appears that we selected a chair that does not age well. We appreciate your concern for others and hope that your friends will not remind you of the chair incident in the years to come! I was disappointed to hear your description of breakfast. If you would care to share with me your menu choices it would be greatly appreciated. My email address is: ellen@higrdt.com. Some of the items on our breakfast menu are Holiday Inn brand specific and some are our own creations. Holiday Inn is always asking for guest feedback from us. Having your specific menu choice will allow us to respond to the brand or adjust our own items. Either way it is important!

Thanks again for the review. We hope to see you the next time you are in Grand Rapids. In the meantime, safe travels!
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

Excellent place to stay and at an excellent Priceline rate. The location is downtown next to the museum and US 131. Most of the restaurants are on the other side of the river, but it is a very short walk across the bridge.

The room is appointed nicely. Modern tile around the tub and a granite vanity. Nice linens, Bath & Body Works bath products, mattress appeared to be fairly new (the comfort of the mattress was "OK"), 32 inch HDTV.

Free Internet and free parking (unusual for a downtown hotel).

Indoor pool and fitness center.

The hotel appears to be well maintained and attractive in and out. It has a bar and a small restaurant. A lot of people seemed to be enjoying both. Food was decent and very inexpensive. It also appeared that the prices on the room service menu were the same as in the restaurant.

Everyone was really nice. I received a phone call once I got to my room welcoming me and inviting me to call the front desk if I needed anything.

A friend of mine told me this used to be a Days Inn, which is a budget establishment. They did an excellent job with the conversion. I wouldn't have even realized it was previously a budget hotel although once he mentioned it I thought the layout of the room was peculiar: vanity was small and in an odd location, closet was small, tiled floor entering room......remanents of being built as a budget hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
Ellen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Hi fedaccts,

Your friend was correct. The hotel was originally built as a Days Inn in the late 1980's. Being in a downtown location that decade's trend was a smaller footprint. We have tried to compensate for the room layout as much as possible. We can see that you didn't miss a thing right down to the pricing being the same for room service or dining in our restaurant. If you have any candid suggestions for us, we would welcome them at any time. Thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers and with us! We appreciate the review, as well as, your business. Have a great day!