Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
JW Marriott Grand Rapids(Grand Rapids)
  • Breakfast included
CityFlatsHotel(Grand Rapids)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
131 Hotel-Plaza(Grand Rapids)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe pearl street grillford museumroad noisewithin walking distancepublic museumacross the riverbars and restaurantssmall bathroomlobby barconvenient locationroom was clean and comfortableart prizepool and hot tubchecking invan andel arenadefinitely stay here againparking lot
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We spent a 3 night weekend here for a wedding we were attending. Our room was on the 8th floor and was very small for the cost. The Bathroom consisted of the tub/shower along with the toilet in one small room. We had visitors in that bathroom every night in the form of little bugs. I guess it was entertainment while you did your business in there. The vanity in the main room was extremely tiny with no counter space. If you stood at the vanity your partner could not pass you since the foot of the bed was right there. Thought he bed was ok the pillows are extremely small. Like about 18in. square in size. The light switch to go into the little bathroom was not by the bathroom door, no it was by the entry door. Made if fun to find it in the middle of the night. Also the water in the bathroom for some reason did not want to go down any drain. Which meant you had to flush the toilet twice, and had standing water in the bathtub after a shower for at least 20 mins. On Sunday, our room was not even touched by any maid service.

But as bad as the room was, the restaurant in the Hotel was great. The food and service was great. The wait staff were very friendly and helpful. The Breakfast menu was limited though.

Hotel is located downtown so it is close to a lot of night life. Which is both good and bad. Good for walking distance, but bad because the hotel parking lot fills up with cars from people coming down town to enjoy that night life. So you may have to park away from the hotel itself in the parking lot.
On Saturday night of our stay we gathered with family in the hotel lobby/lounge area. There was a person passed out in the lobby for at least 30 to 45 mins from being drunk.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Ellen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Jerry M -
Thank you for your candid comments regarding your stay with us. I appreciate you making mention of the challenges in the bathroom area. Each of our rooms receives a complete preventative maintenance and deep cleaning at least once a quarter. Perhaps we might want to reconsider how often we are completing each room. The room described is not typical of all our rooms and correlates to a small number of rooms located near the hotel's laundry chute. Without some key pieces of information, I am not able to confirm the exact room number. If you care to reach out to me at Ellen@higrdt.com, I would be happy to make note of your concerns so that we can select a different location within the hotel on your next visit. I am very excited to pass along your food and beverage comments. Often the food and beverage team's service is not experienced or complimented when traveling for social events. I know they will be wearing proud smiles over the next few days. Again, thank you for your comments. We appreciate any comments good or bad. Safe Travels to you!

Reviewed April 19, 2013

The hubs and I visited GR over a weekend to see a show at The Intersection. I chose the Holiday Inn because of the convenient location and I usually prefer Holiday Inns when I travel. The best thing about this hotel is its location. It's right off 131—and that does mean 131 runs RIGHT next to it—and I was a little nervous about traffic noise when I booked but I figured, "It's only one night. What the heck." I was pleasantly surprised that I heard very little road noise from our room on the 5th floor which overlooked the hotel parking lot. I did request a quiet room when I booked. You never know if you will get it, but it seriously doesn't hurt to ask. We booked a standard king room and it wasn't huge, but I've certainly had much smaller rooms. The only odd things had to do with the bathroom area—when you enter the room the light switch at the door turns on the bathroom light and there is no light switch inside the bathroom, i.e. the bathroom door has to be open for you to turn on the light which is unfortunate if you are traveling as a couple and one person gets up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. The other oddity was that the sink area is not inside the bathroom, but in the entry way, which is unfortunate if you are traveling as a couple and one of you likes to get up early and get ready while trying not to disturb your partner while he is sleeping. I've stayed in hotels with this arrangement before and never been overly fond of it. Other than those issues, I was perfectly happy with our stay. The room was clean and seemed to be relatively recently remodeled. The bed was comfy and the in-room HVAC worked well and wasn't one of those horribly loud window units—always a bonus! The staff was friendly, knowledgable, and quite helpful. But, like I started out with, the location was the best part. We were able to walk to great bars and restaurants—The BOB, Hop Cat, The Intersection, and VanAndel are all only a few blocks away. If the weather's bad a taxi will get you there for about $5-7. I was a little surprised at the higher rate for this Holiday Inn compared to others I've stayed at, but was willing to give a little extra for the downtown location and I'm glad I did.

Room Tip: Our room on the 5th floor overlooking the hotel parking lot had very little traffic noise.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Amanda H, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful comments on our hotel! Please come back and see us again the next time you are in Grand Rapids!

Reviewed April 16, 2013

The Hotel delivered what we wanted, and that was basically it...Rooms were small..Bathroom was ridiculously small..The bed is not as good as any Holiday Inn I usually stay at..Was disappointed to be honest..

Would I stay here again? Maybe.. But im going to try others first as price is close enough to other hotels.

Pros:

1. location
2. FREE PARKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cons:

1. Bathroom very small
2. Mattress does not compare to other Holiday Inns

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Heather E, Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Thank you for posting your review of your exerpience at our hotel. I was dissappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations as our goal is always to exceed our guests expectations. I apologize that your nights rest was not as comfortable as you have come to expect from the Holiday Inn family of hotels.

Please know that each and every review is noted and reviewed as we continue to improve our hotel each day. We hope you would give us another opportunity to serve you again on your next visit to Grand Rapids.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We had made reservations at this hotel to stay the evening before my Mother-in-law's surgery the following morning. After a long drive in freezing rain on terrible roads we arrived only to be turned away because I did not have a credit card. I informed the person at the front desk I wanted to pay with cash but was told I still needed a credit card. Or I could pay with cash upon departure if I gave them a $250 deposit, which would be refunded by mailing me a check within seven days. We were on a tight budget as we are not wealthy and traveled quite a distance to bring my elderly Mother-in-law for her surgery. I was very humiliated and was treated like a criminal by the snooty staff. We were forced to stay in a dumpy motel and only got an hour or so of sleep because of the noise. Only to wake up to police cars and a "meat wagon" outside our room.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Iceman123616

Please accept my apologies for your experience upon your arrival at our hotel. I am concerned that our policies were not fully explained to you at the time of your reservation as they should have been. At the time you make your reservation, our agents are required to inform each guest that a valid credit card is required at check in. Should a guest wish to pay in cash, a $250.00 deposit is required. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience that was caused to you and your family.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is a nice Holiday Inn and I would recommend it as a place to stay when visiting Grand Rapids. Very easy on/off the expressway. I've seen on some reports complaints about road noise, but we did not have this experience. We are from an extremely rural area so we notice noise much more than your average person, yet we had no trouble here. It wasn't silent, but it wasn't overly loud. Easy to walk to the downtown area just across the river. Ford museum is right across the street.

Staff was very friendly and helpful not only during our stay but also during booking.

Restaurant on premises was decent. Better than what you would typically get at a HI, but not exceptional. It was good food at a decent price.

Overall, I would recommend the Holiday Inn and if we ever get back to the Grand Rapids area, we will stay here.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple