WINNER WONDERLAND

Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown
Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersSilver level
Michigan
“Clean, Up-to-Date, and VERY small rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Visited in late February of 2013 while attending the Michigan Brewers Guild Winter Beer Festival. The hotel is modern, located in downtown Grand Rapids, ample free parking, and is within walking distance to all downtown attractions.

The rooms are up to date with the most current Holiday Inn furnishings and bedding. But the rooms are very small. The bathrooms in particular are tiny (but clean and fully functional). Also the bathrooms have the vanity in the room (a design choice that I personally dislike).

Finally, our air handling HVAC unit was very loud. Unlucky draw I guess.

Staff: the staff are friendly and customer service oriented. Definitely no problems there.

Lots of choices in downtown Grand Rapids. You are close to some GVSU facilities here, the Gerald Ford Museum, and other attractions... so there might be a very compelling reason to stay here.

Room Tip: I don't believe they have double bed rooms with queen beds, just full beds (just an FYI).
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jra3
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear jra3,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. I am happy to read you appreciate our clean and updated rooms. Your opinion is very important to us, as it helps us identify areas in need of improvement. I was really disappointed to learn that you were unsatisfied with the room layout and loud air conditioning unit, and would like to apologize for any inconveniences. Rest assured that your comments have been documented and will certainly be looked into.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Very nice. Clean. Newly refurbished. Staff very nice. Bar/lounge area in lobby. Dining room we had nice breakfast for two $15. Indoor pool was clean. Room on 7th floor but still can hear the hi way traffic. Room was nice. Near lots of event venues and museums and colleges.

Room Tip: We asked for a room away from hi way. We were on 7th floor front of building and still could hear so...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Grand Rivers, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Here on business, but cannot wait to come back for leisure. So many attractions within walking distance. Very clean, modern city. Many architectural, art, history and cultural sites. Love Grand Rapids! Holiday Inn is perfect host at a great rate!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Deborah M
Amanda H, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Deborah M,
Thank you for your comments! We love to hear what our guests think of the hotel and the city. You are so right, there are a ton of things to do in Downtown Grand Rapids! The activities, concerts and festivals are always changing. We hope to see you back with us again!
Ann Arbor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

This was the first time we visited Grand Rapids so we decided to stay at the Holiday Inn. The rooms were great and updated but also very cozy and spacious. Also, the hotel is located basically right next door to both the Public and Gerald Ford Museums! The hotel restaurant, the Pearl Street, also had great food. The burgers were great and the pancakes were some of the best I have ever had! The staff was also very friendly as well and the pool area was very spacious and nice as well! This is a great place to stay in Grand Rapids and we would stay here again anytime!

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Heather E, Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Bob,

Thank you for your kind words. We love to hear how our guests were able to enjoy our hotel and our city. We look forward to your next visit with us.
Okemos
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Never having been to Grand Rapids, I was unsure where to stay but we belong to Holiday Inn's Priority Club so I chose this property. We came to town to celebrate my birthday, go to a couple museums & attend a show at the DeVos Place.

We arrived too early to check in (11:30 a.m.) but were very pleasantly suprised when the front desk said it would be no problem & cheerfully gave us our room.

The room was spacious & very clean. I had requested a fridge because my husband has insulin that must be kept cold..using a cooler with constantly melting ice is a pain! Plus, I always have to travel with diabetic friendly food he can have on a moments notice. They didn't charge me for one as it was for medical reasons, but they only charge $5 a night for one which isn't a big deal.. they're large too..not those tiny cube things.

There is a lounge in the hotel & from 3-6p.m. they had 1/2 off appetizers & drink specials. We had a hummus, veggie & tortilla plate & the chicken tenders, which are FANTASTIC, 2 craft beers each & our tab was just over $18! They were very good portions too.

The hotel is located across the street from the Gerald Ford Presidential Museum & the GR Public Museum is steps away as well. In better weather, walking to the heart of downtown would be very easy..I'll add too that the plentful free parking, including a garage is a fantastic asset to this property.

The bed was super comfortable, making for a great nights sleep.

We decided to come back this summer so we can really enjoy all the city has to offer & will stay here again for sure.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jewel39,
We are excited to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and had an opportunity to visit the city. Downtown Grand Rapids has a lot to do and the events are always changing. We hope you will think of us again, the next time to travel to Grand Rapids!
Livonia, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

I had to travel to Grand Rapids on a weekend to be an exhibitor at a huge state conference. I found out only a few days in advance and almost every hotel in town was fully booked. I called the Holiday Inn, yay they had a room for me. What a great location... walking distance to the Public Museum, the Gerald R. Ford Museum and just a quick jaunt across the river to the Convention district. Did I mention the free parking??? Wow that is a HUGE plus in the city.

The entire stay was pleasant and enjoyable. I was greeted at the front desk by a friendly young woman who checked me in with a smile and made me feel very welcome. I rushed to my convention and returned later that evening to see my message light flashing... It was a message from that very same young lady welcoming me to the Inn and making sure everything was right in my room. It was indeed! That is a small detail but I think it makes all the difference.

I ventured downstairs to use my coupon in the lounge and had a great experience there as well. The decor is great, the rooms are nicely appointed and I slept well. I love the Bath and Body works shower products, one of the reasons I stay with Holiday Inn on trips. Check out was just as pleasant as check in and I was please to be informed I could park my car at the hotel for a few extra hours while I went back to work at my convention.

I will be returning for a couple nights in April for another convention and I am already looking forward to my stay at the Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ellen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Good Morning TK2012114!
Thank you so much for starting our day off on such a positive note! Today is our quarterly guest service training day and I am anxious to share with our team how their efforts impacted your stay. We strive to provide a great experience that connects with the Holiday Inn family's ideals of "Great Hotels that Guest Love". Your posting reflects that our Holiday Inn and others have created that feeling for you! Thanks again, for your words of encouragement. We, too, look forward to your return in April. In the meantime, safe travels and have a great day.
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn several times this year on business and really enjoy this property. The front desk and housekeeping staff are friendly. The rooms are clean. Location is right on the river in downtown Grand Rapids and is the only hotel with free overnight parking!

Every stay has been wonderful!

Only downside is the food options in the restaurant are not ideal for a picky eater like me --- I am into fresh, local, unprocessed foods... so the onsite restaurant is not ideal for me. Luckily there are several fresh restaurants near by (Bistro Bella Vita, Bartertown, Grand Central Market, 616 at the JW, etc)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business