“Good experience, better than expected.”

Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown
Ranked #23 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersSilver level
Michigan
“Good experience, better than expected.”
Reviewed October 1, 2011

I believe that this place underwent remodeling a couple years ago, and I have to say that this was definitely nicer than any other Holiday Inn I remember staying at. The lobby, elevators, and general decor were more stylish than I expected, and everything was very clean and relatively newish-looking. Service was great- no problems checking in, and I thought it was nice that they bothered to ask if I had a floor/view preference even though I didn't really care. I ended up on the third floor and didn't have any problems with noise inside or outside the hotel.

It was neat that they provided both firm and soft pillows, although I found the pillows themselves to be weirdly small (however I guess they do have a pillow "menu" available that I could have checked out but didn't). Besides the pillow size, the only other complaint I had was that when I booked my room, the website made it sound like all the rooms came with a mini-fridge, but you actually have to rent them for an additional $5 a day. Overall though, I had a better-than-expected experience here and would recommend it as one of the more affordable hotels for staying in the heart of downtown GR.

Room Tip: Pets allowed for $15 extra a day.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Lansing, New York
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I selected this property based on Trip Advisor community input - however if you are a light sleeper, think twice about this location - it faces on both sides a very busy highway interchange on R 131. I requested a quiet room, however, the front desk didn't have a diagram of the property (!!) and continued to place me where there was significant noise.
Pool is very small and hours begin at 7 a.m. - for a light sleeper and early riser like me, this was not a fit.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
DeWitt, Michigan
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I stayed for business on 9/12/2011. The hotel was very clean and the staff was friendly. There was a bar and a restaurant in the lobby, which was great. I went to both. Fun food choices (and healthy too!) and the bar had decent prices and friendly staff.
My ONLY complaint would be that the air conditioning woke me up during the night when the fan kicked on. It was loud, but powerful and the room remained at the desired temp. I think it just took a little work on behalf of the fan to do so on a higher floor- hence the noise.
The hotel is very close to TONS of great places to eat and the Amway Grand. I would totally recommend it for something like Art Prize and it even has a display for the event in the lobby!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Valrico
Reviewed September 10, 2011

I was a last minute reservation. A few special requests were made. Not only were they met but they as well went above and beyond to meet these needs. Everyone from the front desk, guest services and the General Manager made sure that I was treated as royalty. My room was spotless and I was upgraded to a room with a beautiful view of the city. They placed me specifically by the elevator, and a stairwell, for easy access upon arrival and departure. This was a stay that was made due to a family emergency and as stressful as the weekend had been, the staff at this hotel ensured that I was catered to and offered anything I may need or had forgotten. Each person was pleasent, and welocming. They showed genuine concern for my situation and were empathtic and responsive. I usually don't go on sites to do a review but in this case, it is the least I could do to show my appreciation for the wonderful staff. The professionalism and understanding made my stay perfect. I would highly reccomend this hotel to anyone from a single person to a family. To me this is the best price for a beautiful stay in a beautiful hotel and city. Do yourself a favor, even just for a simple get away, book a room and enjoy!

Room Tip: A higher floor with a view of the city lights at night
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank KelleyValrico
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 26, 2011

After a kayak trip in baldwin we decided to skip traverse city and the chaotic mecca of the rude summer tourists and over priced motels and try a stay at the new and improved grand rapids since neither of us has been there is years. But where to stay?

Best bet always ask trip advisor. To my shock the holiday inn was ranked higher at that time than the jw marriott- which is off the hook posh for a place like GR. So, we had to try it- with some concerns... I haven't stayed at a holiday inn in years because they are always overpriced, run down and full of screaming kids. But, this HI, well hence my title.

We did a walk in and asked if they had a top floor room, end unit with a view. As the desk clerk checked we were amazed at how nice, clean and modern the lobby and bar was. Not like any HI I ever saw before. Impressive. Then he said he had room 805 available- his favorite room. Cost was $159 and it was a corner king so two windows- 1 facing north overlooking ford museum and park/river and the other looking east over river and downtown. Both great views!

As for the room is was spotless, clean, modern and well appointed. The bed was super comfy and as stated in other post u get plenty of pillows and they are marked firm or soft. In room fridge and microwave well hidden below tv furniture (nice large flatscreen w/premium channels). Nice quality furniture with free wifi. The room and hotel in general was more like a wyndham or hilton.

Plenty of free parking where marriott across river wanted $16 a night. HI is free and offers indoor parking as well- they have parking rights on the first floor of parking garage behind them so if your on a motorcycle or have nice car its a nice option in bad weather.

The bathroom was small but clean and well appointed. The bath/toilet and sink/mirror/hair dryer were seperated which works nice if your not alone. The set-up is when u walk in on right is closet w/safe then next to it is an alcove with sink/mirror/hair dryer and to the left of that is the bathroom then the room.

It was a really good stay and for certain would choose this place again since the price is about 60% of marriot and the views and property is comparable if not equal. (We did check out the jw marriott out of curiosity and the same type of room there was $90 more and not as nice plus u had to pay for parking, wifi and the room seemed a tad smaller to us).

Only complaint was the front desk employees could not recommend any good food or stuff to do aside from the obvious touristy things. I assume because they were all young college kids and likely aside from their college type hangouts they know of nothing more. We got a map and just winged it and found a good thai place. So only improvement is mgm't needs to either educate the employees on food and places in area or better yet have a print out of area food and places with ratings like most metro hotels offer.

So take home message, this is an HI like I've never seen b4, very clean, excellent location, potential great views on high floors, free parking (outdoors or in doors), wifi and in room safe. They offer 2 for 1 coupons for breakfast when we checked in but we declined since b-fast in hotels of this class is usually nasty but since everything else was so good we wish we would tried out of curiosity. Try this place your next trip to GR and u won't be disappointed! We will be back as long as we can get a high floor with a river view!

Room Tip: top floor rooms w/N or E view best- NE corner rooms best.If u have concerns ask to view room b4 payi...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Excellent service, beautifully appointed, comfortable room. Centrally located. The grill room serves very good food at affordable prices. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank KatieMX
Reviewed August 14, 2011

We stayed here for business and a little bit of pleasure. The hotel was close to downtown, very clean and safe. The staff was nice enough to let me check in early. The room was a good size but the bathroom (like other reviews stated) was very small but didn't matter too much. Staff was very friendly as well. Would definately recommend this to stay for business trips.

• Stayed August 2011