“Excellent Stay...Fantastic Service!!”

Ranked #13 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Owosso, Michigan
“Excellent Stay...Fantastic Service!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed here over Memorial Day weekend 2013. My wife and I located this hotel on Hotels.com and booked and paid there. We reserved a room with a King bed for a 2-night stay for $178 and change.
There are a very wide array of mixed reviews on this hotel so I was pensive to say the least before arrival, however my fears were soon dispelled. Upon arrival we found a nice, updated exterior and a beautiful and welcoming lobby. We were greeted by two smiling faces at the front desk belonging to Dilana and Cyrena, two women who obviously love and understand the service industry. They were wonderful! Not only were they pleasant and helpful at every single request and question, but upon finding out it was our first anniversary, they gave us a complimentary upgrade to a jacuzzi room! We intended to do some shopping and were given information and hand-written directions to 3 different nearby malls as well as a quick review of the stores and amenities we would find there. Behind Disney World, these were two of the most helpful and positively pleasant people I have ever encountered upon check-in.
We found our room clean and spacious. Despite other reviews I had read, the room was obviously updated even including an HDTV that I would have guessed to be 40-42". The in-room Jacuzzi was huge compared to most I have seen, with plenty of room for two. The shower had an upper and lower nozzle (see pic), though the purpose or necessity was lost on me. The closet was weird as it wouldn't close completely with the hangars they had in there, but not a big deal at all. There was a large mini-fridge and a microwave in the room as well and, of course, wireless and wired internet. The bed was spacious and comfortable as well.
They had a court yard with a volleyball net set up outside, though it didn't appear to get much use. Inside they had a huge pool (by today's hotel standards) that actually went up to 9ft depth. The pool was obviously heated as it was a very pleasant temperature for this picky fellow :-) The jacuzzi was large as well, easily seating 12 adults comfortably. There was a small, but useful workout room and a sauna to round out the area.
Their breakfast area was a good size and had lots to offer, including cereal, oatmeal, sausage, eggs, waffles, bagels, yogurt and some fresh fruit (among other things). Drink selections included coffee, orange juice, apple juice, milk and water. I gave them a "Very Good" rating below, but this is the only area where I will ding them a little and it has everything to do with quality. It appears they opt for quantity/ variety over quality, an oversight I hope they will consider amending. The coffee was weak and didn't really taste all that good. The eggs appeared to be made from powder and sausage was, well, not edible...it was kinda gross actually...tasted more like cheap hamburg with a sausage flavoring. The orange juice was okay, but definitely a lower quality as well. Everything else that I had was good, the cereal, milk, fruit and oatmeal. The waffles were the one shining star! They were pretty fantastic :-)
Overall, pleasantly surprised, and more than a little baffled at some of the horror stories laid out in the reviews below. Our stay was excellent, and we are planning to return with the family, maybe for a little weekend getaway some time in the future. I would not hesitate to suggest this to any of my friends or family who might find themselves travelling in the area, and to you, the reader as well. Relax and book with confidence!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

My second stay was as good as the previous one. Room was good in general - I had a suite with two full baths. My only miscontent was the location and operation of the closet - cramped right next to the entrance door: limited access and the safe and spare bedings taking most of the room inside. Other than that - comfortable and relaxing stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

Hotel about 3 miles away from the airport. Shuttle run every 30 minutes.
Nice breakfast with eggs, sauce, baggle, bread, yogurt.... I wish the breakfast earlier than 6AM, as time I have to catch flight early as 7Am, . Surprise that they provide dinner ( hotdog, hamburger, chicken, salad, soda, chip and dip)
The Hotels on 28 th street along with many others hotels closeby. It's near the mall and many different kind of restaurants and the Meijer across the street.

Room Tip: Room 234 on 2nd floor is 2 queen bed with a nice courtyard view, quiet. Microwave and refri in roo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Rachael L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for your review! I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and got to enjoy all the great amenities we have to offer! A lot of our guests are surprised that we offer a light dinner Monday - Thursday evenings.
We do hope that the next time you are in Grand Rapids you will stay with us again!
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Combine the smell of a dead mouse, 20 years of smoking trapped in the carpet, dust and mold and you'll get the Best Western Grand Rapids (on 28th street).

I got my room, and a wave of smell I won't forget hit me. I tried to open windows, and even spray deodorant into the air. But it came back. Brian (super nice guy) came up with keys to a different room and agreed it was bad. We checked out the next room which was "milder" but smelled like a dusty grandparents home. He called it musty... I called it dusty and moldy.

For the first and hopefully last time of my life - I called 7 hotels to find a room somewhere else. I left at 2:15 in the morning because I couldn't take it any longer. AVOID THIS HOTEL. You're better off sleeping in your car - and that's no exaggeration.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank WGN5150
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

I booked thru Expedia but when I checked in they didn't have my reservation. A quick phone call & Expedia faxed them my reservation but then they didn't have a king room for us. She upgraded us to a 2 room suite with a king bed. It had 2 bathrooms which was great + a kitchen area which is always nice. Bed & pillows were comfortable. Room was clean. Housekeeping was good. They serve a joy breakfast every morning that was decent. Cereal, waffles, scrambled eggs, & bagels/English muffins. He hotel is right on the highway & there was construction going on but we didn't hear any noise. Of course, we don't go on vacation to spend time in the room. We're only there to sleep but overall our experience was really positive & we would stay again. (however, had she not upgraded my room I'd be singing a different tune.)

• Stayed May 2013
Rachael L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for your review! I'm glad that we were able to upgrade you and that you enjoyed your stay with us! The king suites are my favorite rooms here, they have so much room and the 2 bathrooms and TVs are always nice.
We do hope that the next time you are in Grand Rapids you stay with us again!
Wheaton, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

This hotel was perfect for our stay to visit the area. The room and hotel were very clean, everything seemed newer or updated and the bed was comfortable. It was in a nice area with restaurants and a Meijer right across the street. The breakfast was very good and plentiful with a nice seating area overlooking the hotel lobby. We didn't visit the pool, but heard great things about it. And if you stay during the week, you get yummy snacks. Very nice and would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review! We are doing quite a bit to update our property to make it more comfortable for our guests including adding more to our breakfast like variety pack oatmeal the the waffle bar.
Our evening snacks are a big hit with our guests too!
I hope that the next time you are in the Grand Rapids area you will stay with us again!