We stayed here over Memorial Day weekend 2013. My wife and I located this hotel on Hotels.com and booked and paid there. We reserved a room with a King bed for a 2-night stay for $178 and change.
There are a very wide array of mixed reviews on this hotel so I was pensive to say the least before arrival, however my fears were soon dispelled. Upon arrival we found a nice, updated exterior and a beautiful and welcoming lobby. We were greeted by two smiling faces at the front desk belonging to Dilana and Cyrena, two women who obviously love and understand the service industry. They were wonderful! Not only were they pleasant and helpful at every single request and question, but upon finding out it was our first anniversary, they gave us a complimentary upgrade to a jacuzzi room! We intended to do some shopping and were given information and hand-written directions to 3 different nearby malls as well as a quick review of the stores and amenities we would find there. Behind Disney World, these were two of the most helpful and positively pleasant people I have ever encountered upon check-in.
We found our room clean and spacious. Despite other reviews I had read, the room was obviously updated even including an HDTV that I would have guessed to be 40-42". The in-room Jacuzzi was huge compared to most I have seen, with plenty of room for two. The shower had an upper and lower nozzle (see pic), though the purpose or necessity was lost on me. The closet was weird as it wouldn't close completely with the hangars they had in there, but not a big deal at all. There was a large mini-fridge and a microwave in the room as well and, of course, wireless and wired internet. The bed was spacious and comfortable as well.
They had a court yard with a volleyball net set up outside, though it didn't appear to get much use. Inside they had a huge pool (by today's hotel standards) that actually went up to 9ft depth. The pool was obviously heated as it was a very pleasant temperature for this picky fellow :-) The jacuzzi was large as well, easily seating 12 adults comfortably. There was a small, but useful workout room and a sauna to round out the area.
Their breakfast area was a good size and had lots to offer, including cereal, oatmeal, sausage, eggs, waffles, bagels, yogurt and some fresh fruit (among other things). Drink selections included coffee, orange juice, apple juice, milk and water. I gave them a "Very Good" rating below, but this is the only area where I will ding them a little and it has everything to do with quality. It appears they opt for quantity/ variety over quality, an oversight I hope they will consider amending. The coffee was weak and didn't really taste all that good. The eggs appeared to be made from powder and sausage was, well, not edible...it was kinda gross actually...tasted more like cheap hamburg with a sausage flavoring. The orange juice was okay, but definitely a lower quality as well. Everything else that I had was good, the cereal, milk, fruit and oatmeal. The waffles were the one shining star! They were pretty fantastic :-)
Overall, pleasantly surprised, and more than a little baffled at some of the horror stories laid out in the reviews below. Our stay was excellent, and we are planning to return with the family, maybe for a little weekend getaway some time in the future. I would not hesitate to suggest this to any of my friends or family who might find themselves travelling in the area, and to you, the reader as well. Relax and book with confidence!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Guests of the BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites will be pleased to find that each well-appointed guestroom and suite includes satellite television with HBO®, a refrigerator, microwave and free high-speed wireless Internet access. Other amenities at this Grand Rapids hotel include a complimentary hot breakfast buffet each morning, free dinner every Monday through Thursday, a sparkling indoor heated swimming pool; largest in the area, hot tub and a complimentary airport shuttle service to the Gerald R Ford International Airport - located just three miles away. Proud to be the closest BEST WESTERN to Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park, named one of the world’s 30 Must See Museums by Patricia Schultz, author of 1000 Places to See Before you Die. Meijer Gardens is home to Butterflies are Blooming and Christmas Around the World and Grand Rapids Art Prize Annual exhibitions.Business guests of the BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites will also appreciate this Grand Rapids hotel's close proximity to local businesses including the Grand Rapids Medical Mile. The Medical Mile is home to the Grand Rapids Community College Calkins Science Center, Spectrum Health’s Butterworth Hospital Complex, Grand Valley State university’s Cook-DeVos Center for Health Sciences, and Michigan State University Secchia Center Medical School. The BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites is close to Amway, Meijer, Cascade Engineering and Steelcase Headquarters. The Best Western is centrally located within minutes to over 100 restaurants’, many of them participating popular Annual Restaurant Week.Specializing in hosting sports teams, the BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites' location near Aquinas, Calvin, Cornerstone, Davenport and Grand Rapids Community Colleges. Located only minutes from Patterson Ice Arena, Soccer Spot, MVP Field House (directly across the street),and AMF Eastbrook Lanes Bowling Center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Best Western, Hotwire, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Booking.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Hospitality Hotel Grand Rapids
- Best Western Hospitality Hotel And Suites
- Best Western Grand Rapids
- Grand Rapids Best Western