“Living in the Dark Ages”

Best Western Hospitality Hotel & Suites
Ranked #15 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Helena, Montana
“Living in the Dark Ages”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

There was loose food and bloody bandaids lying in several hallways. We got the very last blanket available when we checked in. How can you not have cleanliness in the middle of the day? How can you not have enough blankets? There was NO internet and trying to talk to the service people they contract with was HORRIBLE. I have never had sch a hard time trying to connect to any ethernet or wireless EVER.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Best_Western_23161, General Manager at Best Western Hospitality Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Redbirdie,
I want to apologize that your stay at my hotel was not up to standard. We have a houseman whose job is just to clean the public areas daily, so there is no excuse for any hallways to have trash in them. I am so sorry that you had trouble with this and also with the internet. We contract a local company to provide and also to service our internet, so I will be sure to discuss with them how it is imperative for my guests to have a local person helping them.
I am sorry for the trouble you experienced, and I want to let you know that if there is anything you need on your next stay to Grand Rapids, I would love to help.
Cyrena Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Our stay at the Grand Rapids Best Western was fantastic in every way! The staff was remarkable---we had hoped for a suite and they were all booked when we called. Bu the desk manager said she would do everything she could to get one for us. As we were on our way to the hotel, we called to give our arrival time, asked again about the suite and she had found one for us and held it until we arrived. The cleanliness of the place, the comfort of the rooms/suites, the quality of the breakfast, the condition of the pool and spa--ALL was just terrific! we stayed for 5 nights and are already looking forward to our next stay. We had often stayed in Grand Rapids but never at the Best Western. Those days are over! The Grand Rapids Best Western on 28th Street is our hotel of choice whenever we are in the Grand Rapids area again! Thank you to ALL who work so hard to make this possible for those of us who travel!

Room Tip: If you are staying more than a few nights, ask for a suite. The extra space is really pleasant for a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Best_Western_23161, General Manager at Best Western Hospitality Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the wonderful review on Trip Advisor! I always enjoy it when a guest is happy with their stay! I see that you are thinking about coming back to Grand Rapids and staying here at the Best Western Hospitality Hotel. I would love to have you back here any time. If you need reservations or if you have any special requests, please call me at the hotel number (616) 949-8400. We would love to help you!
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This is the best Best Western we have ever stayed at. Granted, we haven't stayed at them all, but we've been to a bunch over the years. Top notch stuff about this hotel in every way, and at a reasonable price, too. I would go well out of my way to stay here again.

Room Tip: Call ahead, I'm sure glad we did.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear lltpopeye,
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We are proud to be a part of the Best Western family, and although I know we are not the very best and fanciest hotel in the world, I am sincerely joyous that our efforts to make our guests feel at home have had a good effect on you. Nothing makes me happier than to hear that someone has been welcomed into our hotel and enjoyed the experience. Thank you for sharing that with me and with the other guests.
Port Huron, Michigan
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed at the Hotel for 3 nights. It was wonderful! Starting from the beginning-we had a wonderful lobby experience. The staff (Meghan) was extremely helpful and p;easant to talk too. Dinner was still available when we arrived (smelled wonderful!)
Our room was great! Everything was clean. Plenty of towels and toiletries. The A/C worked great. The bed was very comfortable. Bedding was clean and fresh daily. Maids did a wonderful job too.
Breakfast was good and so were the dinners. The staff did a great job at keeping it looking good.
Close enough to down town without spending a fortune. We drove to the Devos center every day, the commute was only about 15 minutes from the Hotel to parking.
I would not hesitate to book this Hotel again-and actually will the next time I'm in Grand Rapids area!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Nora G
Best_Western_23161, General Manager at Best Western Hospitality Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Nora,
Thank you for staying with us! We loved having you here. I hope that you do come and stay with me again next year. I think the expo will be coming to Grand Rapids again the same time next year. I'll see you then!
-Cyrena
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed here during the House Tour in May (5/17-21). I will mention that there was no fan in the bathroom - 3 adults sharing a room, all taking showers, really made it humid (but I've come to discover that many hotel rooms do not have fans. . . at least in Michigan). The carpet was dirty, the bed skirt torn, and someone had dumped food on the balcony attracting bugs, the bathroom had quite a lot of mildew, and closet doors were impossible to open. The hotel staff propped a rear door open so they could take cigarette breaks - and it was left propped open - all night. During Saturday & Sunday the hotel was booked, I think it was for some sporting event, the breakfast area was overtaken and is not large enough to accomodate a crowd. And the last item, we returned late Sunday night to a hallway reaking of raw sewage - we were grateful that our room didn't smell bad. However, one flush of the toilet, and there you have it, overflowing and stinky. We called for maintenance, who arrive promptly with a punger and resolved our bathroom issue - but the stench remained. During checkout, the young clerk ask how our stay was and we replied "unpleasant" and nothing more was said.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
I appreciate your honest feedback regarding your stay at my property. I am extremely sorry to hear that your stay was not perfect. One thing that I would like you to know is that in hotels where there appears to be no fan in the bathroom, such is the case because there is a fan on the roof that is constantly sucking air from the bathroom so that the noise of a fan won't disrupt the guest. Since you have stayed, we have hired a new maintenance manager and a new housekeeping manager. The programs that are in place are so much better and are really improving the property. It is feedback from guests like you that really help us to view what needs to be changed in our property so that we can continue to improve every day. Thank you for taking the time to review this property so that we can get better. If you need anything at all, please do not hesitate to call me at the property between 9am and 5pm Monday-Friday.
Oakdale, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Arrived just before midnight after a very long, tiring day and our room was disappointing to be polite. The toilet & shower were both clean, so we made the best of it. I made a list of all the problems and gave it to the ladies (both very pleasant) at the front desk & they thanked me and said they would pass along to the general manager. After returning home, I called the hotel to see if my list and the problems had been addressed by the manager. This is where it got complicated, so let me cut to the bottom line - the general manager (Cyrena) was fantastic. A compassionate, warm-hearted individual who honestly loves this hotel. There has been recent remodeling, and this room had fallen through the cracks. If you stay there, ask for Room 114 - I believe it is now in tip-top shape. Also, please ask for Cyrena and give her a hug from Mary Ann!!

Room Tip: Ask for room 114 - Cyrena assured me it is now up to their high standards.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mary Ann,
I just wanted to say thank you for all of your help and for your persistence. I am lucky to have had the opportunity to speak with someone who is kind-hearted and truly cares about others. Sometimes it seems that we don't find enough people like you in the world, and it is a true blessing to me when I come across someone with a heart like yours. I thank you so much for the opportunity to work with you, and please rest assured that your kindness will be payed forward again and again. I hope to see you next time you are in Grand Rapids! Please stop by if you are ever in town again. I would really love that hug!
Ann Arbor
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed at the hotel the beginning of August and enjoyed everything. We were "guest of the day," so we were upgraded to a jacuzzi room. It was very clean and spacious--very nice. We're looking forward to staying again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Best_Western_23161, General Manager at Best Western Hospitality Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear A W,
Thank you for your review of my hotel! I am so happy that you enjoyed your time at our place! We would love to see you back here for your next trip to Grand Rapids! If there is anything you need, or if you have some recommendations about how we can improve our hotel, please do not hesitate to call any time. We are always happy to help!
Wonderful wishes!