“My Stay At Amway”

GreenLeadersGold level
New Jorsey
“My Stay At Amway”
Reviewed May 25, 2007

I was in Grand Rapids for a Convention , The Hotel was very beauitful in its self I had a non-smoking room on the 14th floor, I also had a very beauitful view of the River front. The bed wa a King Side and the room had a sitting chair with an otto. Room sevice was very good along with the staf very friendly. The Hotel had several Stores and very nice dining eateries. There was also a sport bar on site.

• Liked — Beauitful
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Geeman9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Flint, Michigan
Reviewed May 21, 2007

Our weekend stay was during a very busy convention taking place at the DeVos Center. Convenient was the word of the weekend for those not wanting to drive anywhere in downtown Grand Rapids. Signage off elevators could have been a little more clear since many riders did the 1-2 step trying to figure out which way to turn to get to their destination.

I stayed on the 8th floor in the tower (I don't like the terms "old and new" parts) while another part of my group stayed in the Pantelind. Service was excellent and always ameniable. When lines were long at the front desk, the concierge desk was happy to see to my needs. Room service for breakfast, while pricey, was served graciously, was plentiful, and a real treat.

Details in the room were a little disappointing for a 4 star hotel. Chipped paint on the trim, a toilet that would not flush all the way unless you held the handle down, lack of vanity space, cracked floor tiles all lent an air of overused to our room. This was my second stay...the last was 13 years ago. My how Gr. Rapids has grown!

• Liked — Location and service
  • Disliked — room upkeep was lacking
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank kimbertop
South Bend IN
Reviewed May 14, 2007

We stayed one night because of wedding we were attending at the Amway Grand. From the helpfulness of the valet, to the front desk staff, to the hotel operator, we could not be more pleased! Even as we walked to our room with luggage, a maintenance man (neatly dressed and groomed) smiled, greeted us, and asked if there was anything he could do for us. Wow!

We had a very impressive experience with the wedding at the Amway Grand, as well. While the food was at least interesting, I wouldn't say it was fantastic, but it was good. What was fantastic was the staff. There were a few children at dinner that just couldn't be coaxed into eating the fancy food. Off went the wait staff to find buttered noodles and Parmesan cheese for the kids (graciously, and with a smile).

Kudos to whomever is in charge of service.

P.S. We were on the top floor of the old part and it was very nice. Everything very clean, rooms large, mattresses and pillows very comfortable. We travel a lot and are always happy to feel at home in a strane room.

• Liked — Service
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank bullmar
Chicago, IL
Reviewed April 11, 2007

Classic old school property on the outside (like the Drake in Chicago or the Waldorf in NYC), with late 80s decor on the inside (at least in the guest rooms of the tower portion of the hotel). Public spaces are very nice, and there is an abundance of young helpful staff who have a great attitude. Arrived at 11pm, and the restaurants were closing, but ordered surprisingly good room service, with a great hamburger and the typical, though quite good, club sandwich. Fries were piping hot and crunchy. Breakfast downstairs the next morning was also a pleasant surprise.

Bed was a little soft and did not offer the greatest support, unlike more updated mattresses found with some frequency at other hotels. Towels were standard issue. Water pressure was mediocre. View was of a concrete wall. Room size was okay, but certainly not big.

Valet parking is 25/night, which I found to be a little pricey. However, when I did pick up my car at departure, they appeared to have washed it, and they were very prompt in bringing it out.

In summary, for a couple of nights, this was a fine, mostly unmemorable stay. Food was a bit better than I had expected. People were nice.

Things may get more interesting with JW Marriott opening across the street.

• Liked — Clean and friencly
  • Disliked — Decor, bad view
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank xiphe
Manchester UK
Reviewed April 11, 2007

Stayed at The Amway over the Easter Weekend. Visiting relatives and also business. I went with my wife and 3 children of 8, 11 and 14 years We flew to Chicago from Manchester UK and then drove round. It really is an easy drive.
The hotel staff were excelllent and we stayed in the new tower on the 20th floor with tremendous views of the city. We had adjoining rooms and the beds are very comfortable. Although like all American hotels and homes they are still using sheets and blankets with covers (non-hygienic). I last used these at home when i was a little boy. In Europe we have been using duvets for over 35 years. They are warm, very comfy and easy. I would have thought that these would have been ideal for the US. I now sometimes take my own duvet to hotels in the US as they are so much more comfortable, Come on America try them out. However I see that the Marriott is now using them.
The bedrooms were very clean but the bed covers had stains and you never know when these were last cleaned. There is nothing spectacular about the rooms and there is no fridge or safe. The wireless internet didn't work on my Mac but the ethernet worked superbly.
We had breakfast in the hotel twice and it was superb. We had warmed Michigan syrup.. The service in the hotel was excellent although the young people who served us could have smiled a little more in the breakfast room. We used valet parking which at $25 per day was cheap for us at the present exchange rate but maybe not for Americans. However it was an excellent service with the boys sprinting across the car park to get the car. It was never more than 3 minutes between asking for the car and it being there. Very impressive.
The pool and health facilities are excellent and must have been refurbed recently. They were 10 times better than the Ritz Carlton in Chicago which was a huge disappointment.
We walked from the hotel on a skywalk to a Tapas restaurant and had an excellent meal out.
Overall a superb hotel with a great location and great service. We will definitley stay again.

Stayed April 2007
5 Thank Loluk
London, England
Reviewed April 7, 2007

We stayed in the old side of the building at the Amway for 4 nights. The room was attractive and clean. Service was exemplary. The only issue was the bathroom which (while very clean and nicley refrubished) was small.

The hotel overall was fantastic - one of the best business hotels I have stayed in (in fact I we were on vacation - and the hotel is a great 'destination' itslef). Beautiful public areas, great sports bar and fantastic restaurents (we only tried Grill 1813 which was exceptional - but I met other guests who raved about the new Cygnus restaurent).

Also you can hop across the road to the Chophouse restuarant - one of the best steaks I have had in the US.

I do not know why Amway own a hotel - but they are doing a great job of it!

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank JimmyDub
Grand Rapids
Reviewed March 6, 2007

My fiance and I were looking to plan a wedding at the Amway Grand and we were given the cold shoulder by the Sales Department not just once but twice. Our 125 wedding guests will not be staying at the Amway Grand.

Stayed November 2006