“Great everything - stay in the newer tower!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersGold level
Wailuku, Hawaii
“Great everything - stay in the newer tower!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2010

Great hotel with wonderful service. Rates are pretty good, considering all the amenities. Also, concierge level rooms allow you to eat breakfast and have great drinks in the afternoon on the 25th floor. Great views of the river and surrounding area. Beautiful city!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Lapeer, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2010

This was the by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. Not only the service was terrible, there was no common sense what so ever. We were with a large group of athletes and I see no point in putting a family of 5 in a room with one king sized bed which is only big enough for the bed and a tv. and bathrooms the size of a closet and other people in our group in large rooms with seperate living areas and huge bathrooms. We were promised a roll away, they ran out of them, which after playing volleyball all day I was content with sleeping on the floor ( yeah right) when I called to have a blanket and pillow sent up so I could enjoy the floor, they ran out of blankets. There is no coffee pot, microwave nothing. I am pretty sure I have never stayed in a hotel when the walls were so thin you could hear the toilet in the room next to you flushing and the shower running. Without going into details money wise the owner should be in prison after how the payment system works which has left most of us completely screwed over. I would give this hotel about a negative 10 and I would've rather brought my own pillow and blanket from home and slept in the sky walk. when my mom and I asked how to get to another hotel to see friends staying there, the concierge told us to walk down the street and it was about a 3 min walk. unfortunatly it was pouring down rain, and instead of telling us to take the skywalk we walked in the rain. There was no laundry service nothing, it was horrible. Do not stay at this hotel.

Stayed June 2010
sverhoef, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, June 11, 2010
Dear ealger31,

I apologize that your stay was not up to the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel hospitality standards of which we are so very proud. We strive to ensure each guest’s stay is memorable in quality and service but during your time with us, we clearly missed our mark. We sincerely regret the in room disturbances. We appreciate your feedback and if your available, I extend an invitation for you to contact me directly to further discuss your experience. I can be reached at 616.776.6485 at your leisure.

Best,

S. VerHoef
Spring Lake, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2010

You get the feeling you are from another era when you stay here!

Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
Spring Lake, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2010

I surprised my husband with a one night stay for his 35th birthday this past weekend. I opted for the "romance package." I thought our experience was very luxurious for the price. Our room small, but lovely. We were brought champagne and truffles in the evening and had a nice dinner at the hotel. The only drawback was that the walls are not well sound proofed in the older section of the hotel. The room next to us came in late and they were loudly taking advantage of the "romance" part of their stay. We could hear EVERYTHING....for hours! It was as if we were sharing the same room! In the morning it was the room on the other side. We joked about being in such a nice hotel, but felt like we were in the "red light district."

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Kalamazoo, Mi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2010

Stayed one night in the Arkansas Suite as a gift to my spouse for birthday. I reserved what the hotel called the "Bed & Breakfast" package. When I made my reservation I placed in the comment box that I would like an "early check-in". We arrived at hotel @ 2:30 and were told our room was not yet ready, but they would be glad to call my cell phone when it was. We never received any phone call, and soon realized that the slogan "Your room is not yet ready", is code for "Please feel obligated to spend money at our shops or bars while we keep you and your luggage on stand by under the false pretense we are working on your room and will call you cell when ready." At 4pm when we still had not received a call and people were piling up in the lobby and bar area I went back up to counter and inquired as to our suite's status. Amazingly it was now ready and when I inquired as to why we didn't get a call, she ignored the question and simply stated, "Well, it was worth the wait." Indeed it was NOT. We are convinced the suite had not been slept in nor really cleaned in some time. It smelled stale, and the furnishing were clearly old and worn out with water rings penetrated into the wood work. The terrific "Breakfast Package" was simply a 25.00 voucher that we could use at one of their restaurants, of only one is a sit down establishment. As you can imagine $25.00 does not cover much of any breakfast at the Amway Grand. We have stayed at the Marriott that is connected to the Amway and will do so in the future, we recommend the same for others.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
sverhoef, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, May 4, 2010
Dear Luvmarthas,

I sincerely apologize that your stay was not up to the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel hospitality standards of which we are so very proud. We strive to ensure each guest’s stay is memorable in quality and service. Unfortunately, our Front Office staff missed the opportunity to make your stay more enjoyable. We appreciate your feedback and if time allows, I extend an invitation for you to contact me directly to further discuss your experience. I can be reached at 616.776.6485 at your convenience.

At your service,

S. VerHoef
Alma, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2010

I checked into room 763. The check-in process was smooth and friendly. The hotel has two towers. One is older and one was build in the mid-1980's. My room was in the older tower. This tower is u-shaped. I was on the inside with no street view. My view was very limited. As I later learned, this a good side to be on but the room was very quiet- absolutely no street noise. People on the side talked about buses and trucks running all night. My room wa spacious with walk-in closet. I had a king bed and new LG HDTV. The room had nice desk- I might have liked a bit larger. The room was well lit. I hate dim rooms. The HVAC system was very quiet-I never heard it. I could control the temperate with a thermostat on the wall. The bathroom was nice and clean. The TV had a good selection of channels. The room did have high speed Internet. The wireless option is not very good in the older tower. I had to use a cable. The room did come with a cable. I would have preferred wireless but I really can't complain. I liked that the room came with real glass glasses. I hate the cheap disposable plastic cups.

Every room has it weaknesses. In this room, I saw two. First, I did not like the TV remote control. The closed caption button and the sleep button did not work. Second, the drain in the bath tub was very slow.

Overall, I had a pleasant stay. I slept well every night.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Wormerveer, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2010

What to say? This is a nice hotel to stay. Its decoration and ambiance is a bit traditional, but in the good way. The attention and service level for guests is very good. It includes serveral restaurants and those are worth to try.

Stayed January 2010, traveled on business