“Outstanding service.....my wedding day was PERFECT!!!”

Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago
“Outstanding service.....my wedding day was PERFECT!!!”
Reviewed December 9, 2009

I have stayed at the Amway Grand Hotel on several occasions. When my husband and I got engaged we decided to have our wedding in my college town rather than our current home of Chicago. The Amway Grand was my first and only choice.

Amy Dettwiler and her staff made sure not one detail was left undone. All the vendors came together and made our wedding day magical. I never felt stressed throughout all of my planning. The Amway and it's team (along with my wedding planner) made the whole process effortless.

We held our reception and cocktail hour in the Imperial Ballroom on Saturday, November 7, 2009. Every member of the staff was extremely friendly and the service was top notch. Our guests kept complimenting us on such a beautiful hotel, gorgeous ballroom, and delicious food. The chef even made sure we had options for my hubby and his family with gluten allergies!!

I can not say enough great things about the Amway Grand Hotel. Once the reception was over, we headed back to our luxury tower suite to find champagne and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us. Our friends and family are still talking about our wedding to this day!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
ngriffioen, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, December 17, 2009
Dear ChicagoNurse1978,

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel. Thank you so much for your extremely kind words. We are very proud that you would choose us for an event as special and meaningful as your wedding. I'm very glad to hear that we were able to help keep the stress levels low during your wedding planning. I will be sure to share your words with Amy and all of our banquet staff as they work very hard to make sure every bride and groom's wedding is a special as possible.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions or suggestions as we are continuously seeking feedback to improve all guest experiences. Thank you again for choosing the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel; we look forward to your next visit.

N. Griffioen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
KADENA AB JAPAN
Reviewed November 11, 2009

This is probably the only hotel in America that doesnt give active duty military members returing from combat a discount. Is this a foreign owned hotel?

• Stayed March 2009
4 Thank COMBATRESCUE
ngriffioen, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, December 1, 2009
Dear COMBATRESCUE,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel. I want to assure you that we do offer a government employee discount that is extended to active duty military members. The government discount is available most days but there are times when we do not offer it if the hotel is at or near max occupancy. I invite you to contact me at the hotel if you would like to discuss this further or if you have any other questions or suggestions.

Nick Griffioen
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 9, 2009

This luxury historic hotel feels like it got dropped in the middle of a quiet city. It is gorgeous and opulent inside, with a wide array of restaurants and bars/lounges to choose from. It's like a Vegas hotel in that way! (albeit quieter).

I stayed in the historical section, and loved my room. It was a superior size room, very spacious, with a separate area that had a small fridge and microwave. I know some have complained about noise in this part of the hotel, but I lucked out and had no such problems. We got a corner room that faced away from the street, so maybe that was part of it. The bathroom was updated and luxe-modern, covered in marble and with great water pressure. The room was well appointed with period furniture, and up-to-date luxury linens/comfy bed. I only have 2 minor design quibbles that would go even further in updating the room. Ditch the quilted bedcovers; they're ugly and date the decor. (You could even just put a stripe of matching damask as an accent instead at the foot of the bed.) Switch to flat-screen TVs. Otherwise, the room is the perfect blend of modern and historic.

I liked how there were old style rooms and a more modern tower. The Cygnus lounge was as mod as any chi-chi lounge in NYC, and had delicious cocktails.

Parking is in a self-park garage for $16/night. This is pretty standard nowadays for this type of hotel, and there is another garage a block away for $9/night if you wanted. The Amway garage has a convenient skyway at level F.

Business center is free which is great for printing boarding passes. Location is right in the heart of downtown (surprisingly nice, if sparsely populated) and right over a small bridge to the Gerald Ford museum.

I really enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
ngriffioen, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, November 19, 2009
Dear Jeanki

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel. I will be sure to share your many kind words with our staff. I'm very glad to hear that you enjoyed your room in the Pantlind side of our hotel. Also, thank you for your design suggestions. I will be sure to share your thoughts on the bedcovers with our decorating team. As far as the TVs in the rooms we are in the middle of replacing all in-room TVs with brand new 42" flat screen TVs. The project should be finished by the end of 2009.

Detroit
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Stayed at the Amway for 2 nights for a wedding. Paid $124/night which was supposed to be part of the wedding block "deal". Unknown to us, valet is the only option if you have a carload of kids/baby accessories that you would like to unload at the door, there is a parking structure across the street but other than valet, you cannot park in front and unload your car. The room was tiny, the bathroom was tiny, the TV was small. Very small space if you have children. It was not very quiet, we could hear people in the halls and surrounding rooms. There was no fridge (we needed it for the baby's food). And internet was an extra $10/day. The bathroom had no fan. We asked for a cot the second night because sleeping with a toddler can be not very relaxing! We received a $15 charge for this on the final bill, too bad no one at the desk mentioned that when we asked for it. Several restaurants within the complex but nothing inexpensive. The food we ate for dinner at the sports bar restaurant was mediocore and for 1 adult and a 2 year old, the bill was $38, I ordered a soup/salad combo, a kid's meal, an appetizer and a desert. I didn't even finish the soup it was that bad. The staff were all friendly, the lobby was very decorative and fancy but my goodness was it overpriced. We were in Grand Rapids people, nothing fancy about that. I have stayed at many hotels in my life and I would much rather have been at a Days Inn or something less glamorous and most likely half the price, which would have included all the things I was missing. Pretty disappointed in my first stay at a "fancy" hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank vip37
ngriffioen, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, October 30, 2009
Dear vip37,

I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel. I sincerely apologize that your stay was not up to the Amway Grand Plaza hospitality standards of which we are very proud. I discussed your concerns with being able to unload your car with our Parking Manager and the rollaway bed charge communication concern with our Front Office Manager. In both instances you received service that was, unfortunately, below our standard and in conflict with how we train our associates to handle those situations. We will immediately be retraining those departments to ensure that this doesn't happen again. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel if you would like to discuss this further. Also, I wanted to let you know that we are in the middle of replacing all of our TVs with larger, flat screen, HD TVs.

Thank you for choosing the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel. I sincerely hope to hear from you soon.

Nick Griffioen
Commerce, MI
Reviewed October 9, 2009

We stayed here for Family Weekend at Grand Valley State with our 14 year-old son. The three of us were initially assigned to a single double-bed room. They switched rooms with no hassle. Second room was absolutely beautiful, but had not been cleaned! On the third try, we were switched from the beautiful old tower to the newer tower. For our trouble, they credited us with a pass for three free breakfasts in their water-front dining room. As it turned out, that breakfast was one of the most enjoyable moments of our trip! Staff was A1!

Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
ngriffioen, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, October 12, 2009
Hi fourcalls,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel. Also, thank you for staying with us for the GVSU Family Weekend. There are many hotels in the GVSU area so we appreciate you choosing us for your housing needs. I'm sorry to hear about your initial troubles with receiving a room that fit your needs but I'm glad to hear that our staff was able to make things right by you and that you enjoyed your breakfast at Betham's.

Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed September 19, 2009

I stayed at the Amway back in August for a business conference. I was super-impressed with the level of service from EVERY EMPLOYEE! I mean, everyone from the front desk, the concierge, the bell staff and even the housekeepers!

Besides the amazing service, I spent time at the hotel bars both in the lobby and the sports bar as well as Cornucopia and Bentham's restaurants and had to buy drinks and meals for my clients who were attending the conference and I found the prices very reasonable and not set up to gouge travelers!!

I will also say that I bought the $9.99 per day wireless internet from my room, however after two days, I had an issue with my laptop and they not only refunded the two days I couldn't use the internet, they let me use the business center at no charge... Actually that was the only place I experienced an employee who gave me an attitude!!

On my last day there, I went to use the business center and there was a blond young female employee in there who said there was no way they would have given me two days for free and I explained the situation and she said it was OK for me to use it, however I did sense some attitude.. It bothered me as for the previous four days I was overwhelmed with amazing service and she just completely made the place go from 5 stars to 4 stars... Funny how one experience can do that. I mean.. why would I lie about a business center pass that costs $5 a day?!? If I would have gotten her name, I would have mentioned it to a manager, however I decided to let it go...

There were some other negatives... The room was small for the price.. The bathroom in the room was tiny! If I were traveling with my wife on a pleasure trip, she would NOT have been happy at all. The shower did have good pressure and hot enough water, however that was it.

The other negative is sort of a back-handed compliment... Where are the garbage cans?? Apparently, in this place, if you have trash, you are supposed to give it any employee?!? That doesn't work for me.. I'm not going to walk up to an impeccably-dressed employee and give them my dirty tissue from blowing my nose... I know the point is to have a beautiful place.. however I personally found it very frustrating...

While the hotel has awesome restaurants... Don't be afraid to walk a few blocks and there are a nice choice of restaurants of many food types -- Italian, Spanish, Steakhouse, casual, you name it!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
ngriffioen, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, September 28, 2009
Hi KantroSAK,

I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel. We realize that you and your conference have many options in the Grand Rapids market and we appreciate you choosing to stay with us. I will be sure to share your kind words with our staff. They work very hard to meet the needs of all of our guests so it's great to hear that they were able to impress you.

Atlanta
Reviewed August 28, 2009

Since our company was staying at the hotel while working next door at the Performance Hall. Since we only used one company car- and had many errands to run -the attendants at the front portico where continually quick during the many instances the vehicle was in and out, often asking if I needed directions and always with a genuine smile.
The cheesburger in Bentham's is to die for.

Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
ngriffioen, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, September 1, 2009
Hi Stephen1953,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel. We realize you have many lodging options in Grand Rapids so thank you to you and your company for choosing to stay with us. I will be sure to share your kind words with our valet staff and the Bentham's chefs. I couldn't agree more about the Bentham's cheeseburger!