“Great Service”

Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 19, 2009

I stayed at the Amway back in August for a business conference. I was super-impressed with the level of service from EVERY EMPLOYEE! I mean, everyone from the front desk, the concierge, the bell staff and even the housekeepers!

Besides the amazing service, I spent time at the hotel bars both in the lobby and the sports bar as well as Cornucopia and Bentham's restaurants and had to buy drinks and meals for my clients who were attending the conference and I found the prices very reasonable and not set up to gouge travelers!!

I will also say that I bought the $9.99 per day wireless internet from my room, however after two days, I had an issue with my laptop and they not only refunded the two days I couldn't use the internet, they let me use the business center at no charge... Actually that was the only place I experienced an employee who gave me an attitude!!

On my last day there, I went to use the business center and there was a blond young female employee in there who said there was no way they would have given me two days for free and I explained the situation and she said it was OK for me to use it, however I did sense some attitude.. It bothered me as for the previous four days I was overwhelmed with amazing service and she just completely made the place go from 5 stars to 4 stars... Funny how one experience can do that. I mean.. why would I lie about a business center pass that costs $5 a day?!? If I would have gotten her name, I would have mentioned it to a manager, however I decided to let it go...

There were some other negatives... The room was small for the price.. The bathroom in the room was tiny! If I were traveling with my wife on a pleasure trip, she would NOT have been happy at all. The shower did have good pressure and hot enough water, however that was it.

The other negative is sort of a back-handed compliment... Where are the garbage cans?? Apparently, in this place, if you have trash, you are supposed to give it any employee?!? That doesn't work for me.. I'm not going to walk up to an impeccably-dressed employee and give them my dirty tissue from blowing my nose... I know the point is to have a beautiful place.. however I personally found it very frustrating...

While the hotel has awesome restaurants... Don't be afraid to walk a few blocks and there are a nice choice of restaurants of many food types -- Italian, Spanish, Steakhouse, casual, you name it!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
ngriffioen, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2009

Hi KantroSAK,

I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel. We realize that you and your conference have many options in the Grand Rapids market and we appreciate you choosing to stay with us. I will be sure to share your kind words with our staff. They work very hard to meet the needs of all of our guests so it's great to hear that they were able to impress you.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions or suggestions as we are continuously seeking feedback to improve all guest experiences. Thank you again for choosing the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel; we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed August 28, 2009

Since our company was staying at the hotel while working next door at the Performance Hall. Since we only used one company car- and had many errands to run -the attendants at the front portico where continually quick during the many instances the vehicle was in and out, often asking if I needed directions and always with a genuine smile.
The cheesburger in Bentham's is to die for.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
ngriffioen, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2009

Hi Stephen1953,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel. We realize you have many lodging options in Grand Rapids so thank you to you and your company for choosing to stay with us. I will be sure to share your kind words with our valet staff and the Bentham's chefs. I couldn't agree more about the Bentham's cheeseburger!

Reviewed July 30, 2009

My wife and I stayed here four nights while I was attending a conference. I have stayed at many 4 star hotels in my former life as a meeting planner. Both of us were amazed when we pulled up to the hotel. I did not expect this caliber of a property in Grand Rapids (no slam on Grand Rapids- it's not a "tier 1" city). Our room was in the old part of the hotel, and it was on the small side, but comfortable. On the other hand, we spent very little time there, so it wasn't a huge issue. Since this was a "working" trip, I really needed Internet access, and there were problems with the service the first day or two of our stay (acknowledged by the hotel). I informed the front desk of my problems using the service and was not charged for it for the two days I tried to get access. The wireless signal was weak in my room as well. I didn't realize there was a wired access in my room until the last day.

We did not eat at the hotel restaurants. There are a number of restaurants nearby (try the Bull's Head Tavern across the street). There is a Starbucks attached to the hotel for those who need their morning cup of coffee or whatever.

The staff was very attentive and helpful. The only slip in service was with housekeeping. On the third day of our stay there was no soap left in the bathroom after it was cleaned, and on the last day there were no clean towels left in the bathroom, although all of the dirty towels were taken. In both cases the items were brought promptly to our room after a call to housekeeping.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay. We paid a conference rate of $119, which I thought was very good considering I paid that much to stay in a chain hotel on the way home. You do pay $16 a night for parking (a little steep, I think), and about $10 a day for Internet. That's pretty typical for higher end hotels - they all seem to charge for Internet service while their lower tier cousins provide it for free.

1  Thank SnowMax
ngriffioen, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2009

Hi SnowMax

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel. Our staff works very hard to ensure that each guest's stay is memorable so I will be sure to share your kind words. We really appreciate your conference choosing the Amway Grand Plaza over the many other options it had and especially appreciate you, as an attendee, choosing to stay with us for the conference.

Reviewed July 25, 2009

I was very impressed by the staff at the hotel, particularly at the front desk and valet parking -- efficient, thoughtful, and helpful. I would stay there again just because of the quality of the staff. I was surprised by some things about the room which I had thought would be different in a four-star hotel (I usually stay at three-star): no refrigerator, no ventilation generally (the corridor had a/c but not the room, as far as i could tell), no bathroom fan. I am thinking that perhaps the hotel wiring overall must preclude these modern amenities, because it is an old building. In the hotel itself, I could not find an obvious place to buy a newspaper, and I was astonished at the small size of the "business center": very cramped space, three terminals, an attendant, and a required membership fee, even for hotel guests. I did fine with my stay, though, once I decided to think "1950."

Reviewed July 21, 2009

Our national convention was recently held here (and the adjoining Convention Center). They suggested that we stay here.

All of the staff were very courteous... the Cornucopia breakfast place had a fabulous egg/ham quiche at a very reasonable price (and I probably should have checked out the lunch items), the scheduled convention dinners exceeded my expectations for such a large number of guests... all delicious, appropriately spiced, w/ high quality.

The hotel is a classic 1917 that has been rehabbed into a lovely facility.

BUT... I have the following complaints:

First, in Grand Rapids MI for $119 per night (not including taxes) I expect certain additional items at no extra charge. Parking was an extra $16/night. Room internet was another $10/24hr. And there was no free coffee station near the lobby (or anywhere else that I could find).

Also, descriptions of the "room was small" in is very accurate. It was nice & high class, but very small, including the bathroom. (Welcome to 1917, I guess)

Finally, just outside my room (637) was a large outdoor air duct that was so rusted, it had a 2' flap that kept popping in & out, in & out... all day & all night. I had to turn on the room's manual fan to mask the noise at night.

No place is perfect, but I would have expected these small complaints to not exist at this "Grand" place.

Outside the Hotel: Great access to food. Just across the street I enjoyed the best club sandwich ever (at the "whatever" pub). (I was an outside sales rep for 31 years, so I've tasted stuff all around the Midwest & USA) Also nearby is a Quizno's (though too busy at lunch), and a Hot Dog place w/ a quick line and many variations to make one salivate.

1  Thank PhotoPhritz
Reviewed July 13, 2009

I took my husband to the Amway Grand for a Romantic Birthday Evening. The lady who helped me with my reservation was remarkable and suggested the Summer of Love Package. What a great package!

When I arrived to drop of the luggage to surprise my husband, I was greeted with valet parking which was complimentary with the package. Check in was quick and easy and we were given an amazing corner room on the 16th floor in the tower. Because it was a corner room, 2 or the walls were completely glass overlooking the Grand River and the city. AMAZING views! The room was clean and bathroom small...but the bed was one of the best I have ever slept in. It was a king bed with a wonderful pillow top mattress that you just sink right into. 5 big down pillows were against the headboard, crisp white sheets, white down(?) comforter...pure luxury.

With the package we received a $50 food voucher to use at any restaurant. We have been to the 1913 room before (excellent) so decided to try the Cygnus found on the 27th floor. The menu did not have a huge selection but I got the filet mignon that was on special and it was melt in your mouth! They gave us a small chocolate fondue with strawberries and pound cake for my husband's birthday which was really thoughtful.

We went to the pool after dinner...it was relatively small and there were lots of children. We were thankful to see there was an adult only hot tub as the one by the pool was being used by very young children. The adult hot tub was set back from the pool and was lovely and very relaxing.

When we got back to the room, we were greeted with a complimentary bottle of our choice of wine and chocolate covered strawberries (also part of the Summer of Love package).

The room service menu did not have many snack items to choose from. The only snack item on the menu was a selection of gourmet cookies which my husband began to crave. However, when we called down to room service (it was still early in the night), they were completely out of cookies. They did send up some house potato chips which did hit the spot.

The next morning we visited Betham's for a wonderful brunch. The food was amazing and view over the Grand River was simply charming.

All in all it was an amazing mini getaway weekend right in our own back yard. The wood work and elegance of the Amway Grand stands out against the city of Grand Rapids. A must stay! Be sure to ask about their packages as what we got was worth way more than what we paid!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank iluvlife2day
ngriffioen, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2009

Hi Iluvlife2day

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel. I'm very glad that you enjoyed our Summer of Love Package and all that it has to offer. Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your special weekend! I will be sure to share your kind words with our Valet Department and Cygnus 27.

Reviewed July 6, 2009

I stayed in the Amway Grand Plaza June 24-July 1, 2009. It was a very comfortable place. The rooms were a little small and plain but cozy.

There wasn't much counter space in the bathroom for my cosmetics but aside for that it was a nice room. The bed was comfortable and the TV had plenty cable channels. I was on the 5th floor and I had a nice view of downtown. They did an excellent job cleaning my room everyday.

I had problems finding my room because when the desk clerk wrote my room number down her "5" looked like an "8". I got a little confused when the door wouldn't open. Someone from the cleaning crew helped me find the right room. All of the staff members I met were very friendly.

I love the lobby. The lighting fixures were fabulous, the several different floral arrangements were beautiful. The hotel had a nice elegant charm about it. We ate in the sports restaurant. Service was a lttle slow but the food was good. There is a Starbucks but it's hard to find because the door leading to it is ornate to blend in with the hotel decor and the little sign above the door that says "Starbucks". Isn't noticable.

We came for a conference at the DeVos center. It was very helpful to take the walkway from the hotel to the conference center. It was a long walk but a nice option when it was raining outside.

If you stay there and love art, check out the paintings on the second level near the conference rooms. There are a series of portraits painted by a local African-American artist. The theme is "working". Each portrait protrays a different worker from teachers, farmers and a semstress to more famous "workers" like James Earle Jones as a Shakesperean actor, an astronaut, the man who plays Bozo the clown and my favorite of the collection, Mother Teresa with little children clinging to her. It''s a very touching portrait.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank JLR
ngriffioen, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2009

Hi JLR,

I wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel. We very much appreciate you and the other conference attendees staying at our hotel while in Grand Rapids. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay - particularly the lobby and the art work.