“Wedding weekend”

GreenLeadersGold level
Burlingame, California
“Wedding weekend”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We stayed at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel when in Grand Rapids for a wedding. We thoroughly enjoyed out stay! The lobby in the Pantlind Wing is beautiful! We also enjoyed our room--so much so that we returned a few days later on our way back to Chicago from Mackinac Island! That is about the best recommendation that we can give!

Room Tip: We really enjoyed the Pantlind Hotel Wing, but they also have the more modern tower...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Elida O, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Debbie,

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us so much that you came back a few days later! I too enjoy our beautiful lobby in the Pantlind wing, with the gorgeous sunburst and fountain, especially around the winter holiday time when we have a big Christmas tree in the lobby. Be sure to come back to see us around that time! We appreciate all of your kinds words and we look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Elida

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We booked this hotel for a night in June, 2014 for our anniversary. I was a little concerned, due to the fact that the price was so much lower on Expedia than other downtown hotels, and many reviews referred to the age of the hotel. The hotel is old, but old also means wonderful character, and fun, quirky room layouts. Everything was clean, comfortable, and I wouldn't not hesitate to stay there again. The location was perfect - lots of places to walk to and right on the river. The hotel was quite fancy for us, but since the home brewers conference was in town, we didn't feel underdressed comparatively.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Carrie S, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear ATravelBug37,

Thank you so much for choosing to spend your anniversary with us this summer! We are always so honored and flattered when guests select us for their special celebrations. I am so glad that you had an enjoyable stay, and that you were delighted by our hotel's historic charm. I am pleased to inform you we are soon launching a new website with beautiful new photography that you can use to research, plan and book your next stay. We hope that stay is very soon.

Carrie S
Negaunee, Michigan
Reviewed July 4, 2014

While booking our room, we asked for a room with a view. The staff delivered! The customer service was wonderful for,our entire stay. We were traveling with children and our whole family enjoyed the relaxing pool area.

Room Tip: Ask for the tower.
Dear Jaimie,

I am so glad that you and your family were able to enjoy our fabulous Tower Rooms, hopefully you were able to stay in one of our newly renovated Tower Rooms. Our fitness center and pool area is great for families, when you want to get a little workout in while watching your children play in the pool. We are happy to have hosted your family, and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Dubuque, Iowa
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I recently enjoyed my stay at the Amway Grand Plaza for five nights during a conference in June 2014, with my family in tow. I really enjoy this historic property with the traditional grand entrances, ballrooms, and meeting places. High Class.

Our two double-bed room on the 9th floor was well appointed. Beds and linens were comfortable, seating and furniture solid. The room was a bit dusty, but not dirty. We were near the elevators and ice maker room, which should be avoided as we could hear the ice machine every time it kicked on.

The conference area in the new section of the building was so-so.

There are several on-site restaurants, of which my family ate at GP Sports three times and found it of good value (rare for a hotel restaurant).

The gym facility is one of the best I've found at a hotel, which is a big plus for me, especially for stays of over a couple days. The pool is also of good size and condition.

On the downsides, the hotel did not outwardly appear to have a sustainability/efficiency program in place, and the soap/shampoo was of mediocre quality.

Service was friendly. Location in Grand Rapids simply can't be beat. I would definitely stay at the Amway during any future visit to Grand Rapids.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the elevators and away from ice machine. Street-facing rooms definitely hav...
Green Features: I did not find any evidence of effort to be environmentally friendly.
1 Thank JoshuaClements
Dear Joshua,

We truly appreciate all of your kind words about our fitness center, comfortable beds, and our great location. You're right, our location truly can't be beat when you're in downtown Grand Rapids, and I'm so glad you and your family were able to enjoy that! I am bummed that you were not notified about our Stay Green Coffee program we offer, but I will see to it that it gets mentioned on your next stay with us! Thank you again for all of your kind words and your great tips to our future guests. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Plymouth, Michigan
Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

I stay here regularly, at least twice a month, if rooms are available. Service is always excellent. There are several great restaurants within walking distance. I utilize the free wifi. My favorite feature are the extremely comfortable beds. I look forward to my stays because I know I will get a great night's sleep! I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Janeen,

Wow – we are very honored to be your home away from home and we truly appreciate your loyalty! I am so happy that you were able to venture out and explore the restaurants in downtown Grand Rapids. One of my favorites is San Chez Bistro, a fabulous Spanish restaurant! Thank you for all of your kind words, and we look forward to your next stay with us!

Salem, AR
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We stayed here for five days and I did not have one bad experience except everything was expensive but I guess you have to expect that. The Cornucopia restaurant was not and we ate there several times.

The beds were so comfortable, has dish, free wi-fi, the pool area was nice, and even had outside tennis courts and basketball. The weight room was fitting as well. What I saw of the old area was so very nice! Just beautiful the old architecture.

This was a church/family trip. There was a huge group of us there plus a few other groups and the hotel staff handled us very efficiently.

It seems many hotels have an issue with all of their plug ins working. Quite ridiculous. I was glad they had a clock with a USB/iPhone charger.

Green Features: I like it especially when you get $5 cards to use daily at one of the restaurants. Wish the towels were picked up more often and the trash taken out.
1 Thank Leea B
Dear Leea,

I am so glad that you were able to experience our fabulous pool and fitness area! I personally love the outdoor tennis courts on a beautiful sunny day. Thank you for opting into our coffee program as we pride ourselves in staying green. We appreciate all of your kinds words, and we look forward to your next stay with us!