1,890 results
All reviews new tower older part ruth's chris wolfgang puck tower room pantlind hotel classic hotel old section sports bar walk in closet valet parking view of the river room service convention center within walking distance art prize restaurants and bars
Reviewed May 13, 2014

we stayed for 1 night. the lobby and restaurants were very nice. Call ahead if you want to eat at the steak house. They were booked we had to find somewhere else to eat. The staff was very helpful and friendly. My husband was not impressed with the TV in the room, it did not have the sharpest picture. It didn't bother me in the least. The walls are thin which made it hard to get a good nights sleep. The room was very clean. I am not sure it was worth the price of the room.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We were here for the RiverBank run this weekend and stayed a few extra days. We stayed in the front this time in the Pantlind hotel area which appears to be the old original area of the hotel, not the tower where we stayed last time. The location was great as we could look out the window and see the start line, which was awesome. Our room was a handicap room which meant no tub but it was excellent. Except for carpet from the 70's it was a great room. Good bed, great pillows great A/C, good water pressure, etc. Not super huge but big enough and very comfortable.

The staff here is great. Midwestern friendly and always pleasant. From the room cleaner to the front desk and bell staff they are as good as it gets in hotel workers. I don't know how they do it but the are without exception excellent.

A final note about restaurants. We had Mothers day in the Ruth's Chris attached and it too was excellent. Not cheap but another reason to stay here at the Amway Grand. The Deli (Cornucopia?) we visited a couple times and it was good too. They went out of their way to accommodate the runners needs.

I recommend this hotel as one of only 2 worth staying in downtown GR.

Room tip: If you like the old style try for a room in the Pantlind. Ornate old style lobby and close to the street where all the restaurants are.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Carrie S, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us for the second year during the Riverbank run! I am glad that you found your stay comfortable, and that you had a wonderful dining experience in Ruth's Chris for Mother's Day. Thank you for your kind words about our staff - we are very fortunate to have such exceptional staff members. We appreciate you choosing us for your stay, and recommending us to others, as we are flattered to be one of your top Downtown Grand Rapids hotels. We hope we get the opportunity to host you again next year.

At your service,

Carrie

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Stayed here recently for a conference, in the new tower. Staff were super friendly, hotel is very nice. Rooms on the higher floors have been upgraded and are much nicer than those on the lower floors, which are a bit dated. Fitness centre is decent (although a little dark) with a good selection of cardio machines and weight machines. Had lunch in the Cornucopia: great salads, not expensive; breakfast buffet was also good.

Room tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors of the tower
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I love the history of this hotel. It has everything. From the converted furniture showroom that the Pantland used to be to it's own mark on the city when it was renovated in 1984 by DeVos and Van Andel this hotel is more than just a building.
Grand Rapids was a little-known and rotting city until the Amway Grand's renovation gave hope to the hearts of locals. This building marks the beginning of a transformed downtown from decaying to vibrant.
I stayed here for my honeymoon on the Pantland end and once in the Van Andel Suite on the top floor of the tower. Both experiences were wonderful. Everything in this building seems to take you back about 100 years. Service is excellent and it is so charming. I also love how the Gerald Ford Room is so 70's even though those colors are so out of style now.

Date of stay: December 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Stayed in the Pantlind wing of the hotel for one night in May for a conference being held in the hotel. Room was very nice, maybe a little small for the price paid...BUT, clean and well-appointed with a comfy bed and nice, big television. My only issue with the room itself is the wi-fi signal kept cutting in and out (more noticeable on my phone than computer), but I chalk it up to being in the more historic wing of the hotel which was definitely not designed to accommodate wireless signals and that is fine and I managed. The wireless in the public areas of the hotel and conference rooms was amazing and made up for the relative lack of wi-fi in the room. The hotel is gorgeous and staff were always helpful and courteous when answering questions; I was even able to check in early when I arrived early Friday for the conference (normal check-in is at 4pm and I was able to check in at 7:30am with no extra charge).

• Trip type: Traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to review your experience, as we value your feedback. We sincerely apologize for the wi-fi issues you experienced on the Historic Pantlind wing, and we appreciate your understanding. Thank you for taking note of our helpful staff - we are very fortunate to have such courteous staff members. I am glad we were able to accommodate your early check in. We hope to host you for another stay very soon! We look forward to seeing you again.

At your service,