1,890 results
All reviews new tower older part ruth's chris wolfgang puck tower room pantlind hotel classic hotel old section sports bar walk in closet valet parking view of the river room service convention center within walking distance art prize restaurants and bars
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Stayed here recently for a conference, in the new tower. Staff were super friendly, hotel is very nice. Rooms on the higher floors have been upgraded and are much nicer than those on the lower floors, which are a bit dated. Fitness centre is decent (although a little dark) with a good selection of cardio machines and weight machines. Had lunch in the Cornucopia: great salads, not expensive; breakfast buffet was also good.

Room tip: Ask for a room on the higher floors of the tower
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I love the history of this hotel. It has everything. From the converted furniture showroom that the Pantland used to be to it's own mark on the city when it was renovated in 1984 by DeVos and Van Andel this hotel is more than just a building.
Grand Rapids was a little-known and rotting city until the Amway Grand's renovation gave hope to the hearts of locals. This building marks the beginning of a transformed downtown from decaying to vibrant.
I stayed here for my honeymoon on the Pantland end and once in the Van Andel Suite on the top floor of the tower. Both experiences were wonderful. Everything in this building seems to take you back about 100 years. Service is excellent and it is so charming. I also love how the Gerald Ford Room is so 70's even though those colors are so out of style now.

Date of stay: December 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Stayed in the Pantlind wing of the hotel for one night in May for a conference being held in the hotel. Room was very nice, maybe a little small for the price paid...BUT, clean and well-appointed with a comfy bed and nice, big television. My only issue with the room itself is the wi-fi signal kept cutting in and out (more noticeable on my phone than computer), but I chalk it up to being in the more historic wing of the hotel which was definitely not designed to accommodate wireless signals and that is fine and I managed. The wireless in the public areas of the hotel and conference rooms was amazing and made up for the relative lack of wi-fi in the room. The hotel is gorgeous and staff were always helpful and courteous when answering questions; I was even able to check in early when I arrived early Friday for the conference (normal check-in is at 4pm and I was able to check in at 7:30am with no extra charge).

• Trip type: Traveled on business
Carrie S, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to review your experience, as we value your feedback. We sincerely apologize for the wi-fi issues you experienced on the Historic Pantlind wing, and we appreciate your understanding. Thank you for taking note of our helpful staff - we are very fortunate to have such courteous staff members. I am glad we were able to accommodate your early check in. We hope to host you for another stay very soon! We look forward to seeing you again.

At your service,

Carrie

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Amway Grand was a lovely hotel in a lovely city. I stayed here for a conference and was in the old part of the hotel where the walls were quite thin, the furniture a little beat up, but charming nonetheless.
The biggest complaint was the noise. I could hear everything....the phone ring in other rooms, conversations, train traffic, pedestrian traffic, horse clomping....
The service was wonderful and friendly.
The location walking along the river, visiting the museums, galleries and restaurants was excellent.
I would recommend this hotel, but maybe request the newer tower!

Reviewed May 10, 2014

Stayed here with a large convention and everything was 1st class--lots of friendly, courteous staff so there were no waits (or just very short ones) for dining, check-in/out, valet, etc. Our banquet meals were well prepared but even more memorable was the excellent way in which they were delivered--most tables received food at same time--in other words, people weren't eating dessert while others were just receiving their main course. All meeting rooms were comfortable and plenty of staff available to check that all details and requests were met.

Our sleeping room was close to the elevator as requested and while there was no view to speak of, the room was quite large and very comfortable for two. There was a large sitting area, desk area in a different (more private) part of the room, and a walk-in closet. Bed was very comfortable and furnishings were neat & tidy. Linens were clean and fluffy. Bathroom was small but very functional. We had a great rate, too.

Restaurants in the hotel were good and free wi-fi and business center. Parking was on the high side ($25/day valet; $16/day self) but it was secure and getting car from valet only took a minute. Location is good, a short walk to several museums and restaurants.

I'd stay here again, especially with a discounted rate. Excellent hotel!

Room tip: Some rooms are small, so ask to be moved if you prefer a larger room.
Date of stay: April 2014