“Lovely Hotel with great service”

Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersGold level
Detroit, Michigan
“Lovely Hotel with great service”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Beautiful hotel with excellent service. The restaurants in the hotel offer very good food also. Spacious rooms, and they allowed us to check in very early and check out a little late. Nice gym with a good variety of machines. All around a welcoming, clean, lovely environment.

Room Tip: The hotel has an 'old' and 'new' side. I prefer the older hotel - so much class and...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed November 20, 2013

The building is phenomenal. We have stayed on both the new side and the 'old' side. I love the feeling of the older side: 4 post beds, vaulted ceilings... very vintage and charming. The new side is also pleasant: more modern, standard hotel room, but more upscale. The bathrooms are sexy and the environment is relaxing. I recommend a corner room to enjoy the city views. There are several amazing restaurants in the hotel, all of which we have had the luxury to experience. Room service was incredible as well. One of our favorite features is the sunken bar in the lobby. Very classy and unique. There are a couple shops as well. The staff has always been professional as well.

Room Tip: Be sure to specify if you would prefer the newer modern side of the building or the older more shabb...
Green Features: Robes are provided in every room, nothing makes me feel more at home than a nice clean robe!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laura W
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I recently stayed at the Amway Grand for a week long work trip. Needless to say, I wasn’t too thrilled to be heading out of town for a week long technical training. But I’m pleased to say that this hotel made my trip much better than anticipated!

I had a rough start to my trip- the hotel had my last name spelled incorrectly in the system (I booked over the phone so some of the letters must have gotten lost in translation). However the staff was very helpful and apologetic. They were very helpful and proactive in finding my reservation in the system. My room was in the “old part” of the hotel. At first I didn’t realize there were two parts but there sure are! I liked the look and feel of the old section although I think the newer half had more amenities in the rooms. I was always comfortable in my room and loved the décor and feel. I didn’t see any issues with staying the old section but I guess it’s more of a personal preference for people… just know that there are two sections and you can definitely ask to be placed in one or the other. Might be a good idea to let them know your preference when you call to reserve a room.

I used the workout facility a couple times during the week and was pleasantly surprised at how nice and up to date it was. There are a bunch of shops and restaurants in the hotel itself so if you didn’t have time to grab food, you could just head through the lobby. We had our training in the hotel as well and I thought they did a great job of facilitating that for us. My only complaint would be that the rooms we were in were freezing! We did complain to the front desk a couple times but the temperature never seemed to change. The hotel provided us with breakfast and lunch every day and for the most part, I was satisfied with everything we ate.

Overall great place to come if you are in town for work. I had no major issues during my week long stay. I would also recommend this place to anyone just traveling for pleasure- so much to do in Grand Rapids and the location of this hotel is perfect for exploring.

Room Tip: There is a "new" section and an "old" section to the hotel. Both sides are nice...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Carrie S, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us while you were visiting Grand Rapids for your training! I am glad you enjoyed your room on the Historic Pantlind side of the hotel, as well as our shops, restaurants, and food. Thanks for sharing your thorough thoughts and feedback on the hotel and fitness center. We will take your comments on the meeting room temperature into consideration, and see if there was a heating malfunction during your stay that may have caused this. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again, and look forward to seeing you!

Beverly Hills, Michigan
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Honest people .....I left my 300 dollar shoes behind in my hotel room ,I called and they found them and they even offered to send them to me for free! At most hotels those shoes would have been gone and the hotel would have made you pay for the shipping

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing this experience with prospective and future guests on TripAdvisor! We are so glad to have been able to help you in recovering your shoes. We are fortunate to have such an honest and helpful staff. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We booked this hotel as part of a wedding party at a special rate so i am not sure if the room are expensive or not - it was a real surprise how nice it was and it is a good location if you want to have a walk around see the river and city centre - The email correspondence and reminders were especially professional - breakfast was a little pricey but we got our monies worth

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 17, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The staff at the Amway was wonderful. From the front desk clerk who handled a very long line of guests with ease to the housekeeper who brought me a few bottles of hair conditioner when I asked (no conditioner in the room otherwise! just low quality, bad smelling shampoo/conditioner) they were friendly, smiling and very nice (if not always knowledgeable). I was however very disappointed in the poor quality of the bath products. The soap smelled really harsh- like deodorant and when I asked for a different kind they said there was none. I am not overly sensitive to scents or very picky but this soap smelled like a bad pine scented cardboard car freshner. I could not imagine this was what they provided guests in the tower rooms that was why I asked the housekeeper. But while she was able to locate conditioner, she said there was no other soap. I ended up going to the health club/pool (which was beautiful and relaxing by the way) which was in the Tower section and took some of the normal soap they had in the showers there. I would have been more than happy to buy soap but I could not find a single place within walking distance to buy some. The concierge told me the gift shop sold some (they did not). Strangely there was not a single convenience store or drugstore anywhere downtown except for a "party store" which was located underground complete with clerk behind a bullet-proof glass and full of drunks. The walls between the rooms were so thin you could hear everything that was going on in the next room. Even the staff acknowledged it was terrible and advised filling out a comment card so the hotel would upgrade those rooms. They did apologize for this. The hotel looks beautiful on the outside and the common areas are very nice and the location is just perfect. The bed was also very, very comfortable and the room was very clean. However, unless you are hard of hearing/deaf you do not want to stay in one of the old rooms.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and sharing this important feedback with us. I am glad that our staff was helpful for you, but sincerely apologize for the other issues you encountered during your stay. We take these comments very seriously, and will take them into consideration as we make decisions about our brand of bath amenities and products carried in the gift shop. We will also take your comments about the rooms on the Historic Pantlind side of the hotel into consideration as we continue to update our facilities. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again, and recommend you request a room on the Tower side of the hotel.

Brighton, Michigan
Reviewed November 5, 2013

It is centrally located so you can walk almost anywhere from here. It has amazing service and it beautiful inside. It is somewhat expensive but most of the hotels in that area are. The only downside is that you have to pay to park in the structure. I think if you are a hotel guest you shouldn't have to pay. I have stayed in the old and the new structures. I like the view from the tower better of course. We have a corner room and it was amazing. Clean and beds were comfortable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family