“Great location, amazing building, lovely staff”

Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I hadn't even heard of Grand Rapids before the International Trumpet Guild decided to bring its 2013 conference here. I so enjoyed my visit to this nice city and this beautiful and unusual hotel.

As others have said the Amway Grand Plaza gets the best of both worlds with its utterly gorgeous historic building linked to the shiny modern glass tower at the riverside. The foyer at the Pantlind end is really something to see - just sit in there and soak it up ... it's crazy but it feels like you are in the Train Bleu in Paris or something. C'est magnifique! And it's set in a nice downtown area right by the river: you can really feel at home here.

I can't comment that much on the food as I mostly ate out, but what I did have - a couple of official catered event and meeting things - was great. The little snack bar or cafe down near the entrance is unglamorous but very pleasant and I got a little addicted to its delicious salads; the riverside restaurant is beautiful and the one rushed lunch (my fault, not theirs) I managed in there was great. The big bar downstairs is very striking and has a nice atmosphere.

My room was very comfortable and well appointed, and looked after nicely by the very pleasant housekeeping staff. I could have done with some direct ventilation - no window would open a millimetre, which can make it feel a bit claustrophobic, and on a warm night you either have to get too hot or have the AC going on and off all night. I know there must be various concerns about having things that open but I would have loved to have a real breeze in the room once or twice.

On the subject of the room I must congratulate the Amway Grand Plaza on providing the only hotel alarm clock radio that I have ever really understood and felt confident about programming! :) It even plays your iPod too. Nice one.

The conference facilities were excellent. We are not a quiet conference (ah, you noticed that?) and talkthrough between rooms can be a problem but it seems to have been well-managed or largely avoided. Some of the older rooms are stunning - I'm thinking of the Pantlind and Imperial Ballrooms in particular: they are both spectacular and the latter was a real architectural treat. Oh and the glass lift up to my room - great ride!

I mentioned the staff. They were unfailingly polite, pleasant, helpful and friendly - a very nice mixture of efficient/professional without being too formal. I think this was pitched just right - they are wonderful ambassadors for the hotel. I may have fallen in love just a tiny bit with the lady in the shop. :) Her pleasant manner and good humour really made my day.

In summary - this was a very nice stay in a great hotel. I will need to find an excuse to return to Grand Rapids and stay here again one day. Thank you.

Room Tip: For heritage go for the old Pantlind building - for spectacle, try for the glass tower and a river v...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank vogel421
Carrie S, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We were so happy to host the International Trumpet Guild, and so glad that you could make it! We really enjoyed listening to the music throughout the hotel that week, and getting to know you and the many other talented individuals who attended.

We appreciate you sharing this very kind and thorough review of our hotel. What means the most to us is your appreciation of our staff. We are so blessed to have many genuinely friendly and polite associates who make our hotel what it is.

We hope to have the opportunity to host you again sometime!

Reviewed July 2, 2013

This hotel has some interesting history, like the chandeliers, the seven very extra wide room doors on each floor, and the sunburst on the wall. But I will leave it to the reader to discover the secrets of these items.
The rooms were very nice and comfortable. There are several places to eat in the hotel. The valet service is very quick and dependable. The staff members were friendly and efficient.

We were here for the ordination of the Bishop of Grand Rapids, His Excellency David Walkowiak. The hotel was an easy 10 minute drive to the Diocesan offices and Cathedral of St. Andrews.

We were very happy with this hotel and highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us while you were here for the Bishop of Grand Rapids' ordination! We are pleased and honored that you chose to stay with us. Thank you as well for you kind words about our hotel, and for sharing this wonderful photo of the sunburst in the Historic Pantlind Lobby. We hope to host you again when you are next in Grand Rapids!

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed for three nights last week during a business conference. The room was very nice with a walk in closet. The hotel has been restored beautifully although I am guessing that they have added a new lobby in some sort of addition or adjoining building. It is a stone's throw from the Gerald Ford Presidential Museum, the River pedestrian area, and apparently many downtown restaurants. We were usually tied up with conference events so I only ventured out by myself on one evening. My room was always clean. One morning the shower was only lukewarm but fine the other days. I found a couple of cute shops within the hotel and the hotel staff were always friendly and respectful. Based on my first experience, I would stay again in a heartbeat. My room was quiet.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I had a lovely tower room on a concierge floor, overlooking the river. The room is pretty good sized; mine had a king-sized bed plus chairs and a small table in addition to a desk. A small fridge was a pleasant surprise.

The location is good if you need to be downtown. It's connected via indoor walkways to the event venues and office buildings in the immediate vicinity, so you're protected from the weather. They do not provide airport transportation, and a cab will run $30-35.

Internet is free and reliable, though it made me sign in every time I re-opened the browser. One distraction was a lack of available outlets; I had to unplug lamps and move things around to find a space to plug in the coffeemaker. The least impressive part of the room is the bathroom, which would fit into any mid-range hotel quite nicely but no more than that. Amenities include 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner, lotion, soap, and cotton balls.

The fitness center is very complete and complimentary to guests.

The concierge lounge provides continental breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres. Alcohol is extra.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to review your experience! We are glad that you enjoyed your room, our downtown location, and our reliable Internet service. Thank you for your feedback on the lack of outlets and the bathrooms. These are excellent things for us to be taking into consideration as we begin renovating our Tower guest rooms, a project that we are pleased to be beginning very soon! We hope that you will come back and see us again so you can see the transformation.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

The hotel is in the heart of a very nice downtown area & right on the Grand River. It's an excellent convention hotel with skyway connection to the DeVos (convention ctr.) Place. Few will walk away disappointed. At $139 convention rate, it was a good value. A skyway also connects it to the parking garage ($16 a night). The hotel is basically a new glass tower connected to the vintage Pantlind Hotel (circa 1913). Being at a convention of peers I was in both sections, but stayed in the Pantlind. The tower has smaller rooms & riverfront views, while the Pantlind has larger rooms with more elegance. Standard double rooms (2 queens) range from 200 to 450 sq. ft., so the diversity is marked. We asked for and got a larger room & had a refridge delivered at no extra charge. Beds were comfortable, although a bit on the firm side for me, and bedding was of high quality. Service is quite good in general, but check-out day was somewhat rude. We were woken 3 times BEFORE check-out time dispite a 'do not disturb' sign on our door ....each time I dozed off again. We had very high ceilings and elegant furnishings - a very livable & comfortable room. The lobby is very elegant, but lacks restaurants - just a sports bar with mediocre sandwhiches & a Ruth's Chris, if you like beef - expensive beef. In fact, it's hard to find good food downtown within walking distance. The pool area is quite nice & upscale. Water pressure is just ok. Staff is friendly and accomodating. Riverside walk is a special place. The connected DeVos Place can accomodate about any venue, but is stark. The ballrooms feel like airport hangers. The wide hallways are stark too. No seating - no benches - not even a trashcan in sight. If you try real hard you can find a water fountain. It's not one of the nicer convention ctrs. & not very upscale, but it sure is big. The chairs at venues are ridiculously uncomfortabe.
Overall, I'd rate the hotel as 4-star, excluding food. I thoroughly enjoyed my 5 night stay. I had not one good meal during the time, but the hotel itself was a very nice experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed in the hotel for the weekend. We made the trip to Grand Rapids to see a show at the DeVos center. We had a room in the Pantlind portion of the hotel. We had a king bed, which was very comfortable. The room was spacious and captured the charm of the hotel. The bathroom was modern and very clean. We had a corner room on the 5th floor. There are a lot of windows, but we kept the shades drawn as the view was simply of the roof of the other parts of the hotel.

The hotel is in a great location. It is easily accessed by car with on-site parking. We were able to walk to most places around the city. DeVos Center is right next door and there are a lot of great places to eat.

Room Tip: Get a room in the Pantlind side of the hotel; great charm of the hotel, plus the amenities of a new...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dbier
Carrie S, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us for you and your wife's visit to Grand Rapids! We are glad you enjoyed your weekend and were able to take advantage of the hotel's proximity to attractions like DeVos Place. How wonderful that you enjoyed the historic Pantlind side of the hotel! Many guests fall in love with its charm, while others love the modern rooms and views from the tower side. We hope to host you again sometime soon!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel after a wedding in downtown Grand Rapids. The lobby space is very elegant and the staff was extremely helpful. We stayed on the tower side and loved the view of the Grand River.

The bed was very comfortable - but the bathroom seemed a bit common - not exactly what I expected.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple