“GM really cares about his hotel.”

Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I won't go in to the things that resulted in me reaching out to the General Manager because this hotel deserves its commendations. I will tell you it had to do with the first line staff. Unfortunately they are our first impressions of an establishment. It shouldn't be that way because the issues I faced are not a direct reflection of the upper management and the hotel they run. In my case, it was a couple of negligent attitudes that spoiled my first day there. I adamantly requested to speak with the management and then (and only then) did they begin to "care". Once the upper management got involved, my issues were resolved promptly and to my satisfaction. The remainder of my stay was great! This beautiful hotel is within walking distance of historical and entertaining spots. All of the dinning areas in the hotel were excellent and besides the few "problem children", the staff was professional and welcoming. All and all, it turned out to be a very good stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Carrie S, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us, and for taking the time to review your experience. We appreciate your kind words about our General Manager, who is indeed a terrific leader! We are very fortunate to have him. I am glad that he was able to make sure the remainder of your stay was enjoyable. I hope that you will stay with us again the next time you are visiting Grand Rapids. We look forward to hosting you!

There are newer reviews for Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton

Reviewed May 14, 2013

During a recent convention, we stayed at this hotel. The hotel is a great blendinging of old and new. My room was in the original section. It was very comfortable and had easy access to the elevator. The complex is right next to the municipal convention center and the river. Across the river, a short, beautiful walk takes you to the Gerald Ford Presidential Library. The Children's Museum is also a block away on the riverfront. Dining and shopping were a short walk in the other direction. The staff was wonderful and the meetings were in some of the nicest rooms within the hotel. This hotel has everything! I'll stay there again on my next trip to Grand Rapids for sure!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed here for only one night in May and was pleasantly surprised. The tower I stayed in was renovated and very nice. The room was extra large (it had its own walk in closet), and the two queen beds were dwarfed by the size of the room. The bathroom was completely renovated and was clean and a pretty good size for a hotel bathroom. The lobby area was impressive with 3 large chandeliers and a water fountain. I didn't have a view (just of the roof!) but the room itself made up for lack of view. Right in the downtown area but still close to the highway.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the renovated tower as I heard from co-workers travelling with me that not all rooms...

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us while you were in Grand Rapids for the Mid-America Oireachtas! We really enjoyed hosting your group and seeing you all. It was fun to spend the Thanksgiving weekend with all the dancers and their families! I am glad you enjoyed your stay, our restaurants, and some of the nearby attractions. We hope to see you again next year!

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed on 18th floor of tower. Very nice room. Bath area a bit dated. We found the service to be exceptionally good. Was great to stay after River bank Run and use pool. Close to many nice restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My daughter and I stayed for three nights in November 2012. We were in the older section and absolutely loved our room which had a king bed and additional sitting area, microwave, dressing room and refrigerator. The small restaurant with its old fashioned booths had nice food, my daughter loved the ice cream Sundae. Also had the Thanksgiving day buffet which exceeded our expectations. We were there for the Mid-America Oireachtas and the proximity to the dance venue and then some sightseeing was perfect.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

I was here for a conference and was given a room in the "old section." The room had two queen beds. A small room with a tub/shower and commode and a separate room with a sink and closet. It had two chairs and a writing table. My view was of the street which was nice with the exception of the noise. I could hear everything as if I was sitting outside. The windows barred no sound. I was able to view a park like setting that had a dj, music and dancing one night of about 200 people which was kinda cool until I tried to go to sleep. The hotel is in a wonderful location but does not have the modern conveniences I have come to expect while on business. No fridge or microwave. The separation of the bathroom area was the worst part as there is no where to store items that one would use after exiting the shower, no where to hang clothes or dress. You have to go into the sink area to accomplish those things. I was turned off upon entering the room for the first time when I discovered a wire hanger left on the bed and a used bar of soap left in the shower. Gross! The hotel has beautiful architecture from the early 1900's. Just gorgeous. You can mail a letter in a mail chute from any floor. That was something I had never seen. The staff were amazing and all of them knew the historical information. They have a Starbucks on site which was great and some nice eateries throughout the hotel. I was never disappointed with the food or service. Glad I had a chance to stay there and experience it but would probably choose a more modern hotel if I find myself in Grand Rapids again.

• Stayed: May 2013
Carrie S, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us while you were here for your conference, and for sharing this valuable feedback with us. We sincerely apologize for the housekeeping errors that occurred when your room was prepared. That is far below our standards. Thank you for sharing your feedback on the set-up of the room - we will take this into consideration as we work through our upcoming room renovation project. We hope that you will stay with us again soon the next time you are in Grand Rapids. You may find that the rooms in the tower section of the hotel are more suitable for your needs and taste.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have stayed at the Amway Grand Plaza (AGP) Hotel a number of times for a work related function that occurs annually. I am seldom disappointed, and my most recent trip is no exception.

When I arrived I was hoping for a little extra space for an anniversary night during the week when my wife would be joining me. But the hotel was overbooked due to the conferences. No problem for the super friendly front desk technician Jaclyn. She dug deep and got me a little extra space with a slightly larger room despite the crowd. I really appreciated that extra effort and she was really friendly and professional.

Professionalism extended to my room where I happened upon the cleaning staff when I went back to my room to drop a bag. The woman very politely told me that she needed to see my room key before she allowed me access to the room. She took my key and verified that it unlocked the door. I really appreciated this security policy and she did the deed with real tact.

The room was good. It had nice large LG TV which I really appreciated. I was a bit put off by the condition of an upholstered side chair that was dirty and stained. This should be addressed by management as it was the only negative in an otherwise pleasant stay and it was not insignificant staining. Had I been planning on using the room more, I might have asked that it be addressed. However I am confident that the staff at AGP would have addressed the issue. I would recommend the AGP to anyone on business in GR!

Room Tip: If you like a view, ask for the tower river side. If you like the feel of old victorian decor, ask...

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your loyalty for us, and for sharing this wonderful review! We are so glad you appreciated our guest service. We are so proud of our staff! We will be sure to pass along your compliments to Jaclyn.

We would really like to address the issue with the chair in your room. Would you please contact us so that you can provide us with your room number or a general description of where your room is located? Please email me at csmith@amwaygrand.com.

Thank you!