“First Class!”

Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

The Amway Grand is the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. I've been there twice, and will be returning in the Spring for a conference. The rooms, lobby, and banquet rooms are gorgeous! The staff were always friendly and accommodating. During my last stay, I was awakened at 2:30 am by the two very drunk people in the room next to me. They were hanging out in the hallway being extremely loud and obnoxious. I was pregnant at the time, so I was extra annoyed because I needed my sleep!!! I called down to the front desk, and within 5 minutes security was knocking on their door. Problem solved! I would give the Amway Grand 100 stars!

• Stayed: April 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,694)

Reviewed February 7, 2013

The Amway Grand Plaza was built by The Amway Corporation on the Grand River. it's a big city hotel in a smaller setting. The main enterance is in the newer section and rather predictable. There is also an older area which is like of the Waldorf with grand chandlers and the traditional round sitting area. The hotel is like a mens club with rich wood and traditional old style paneling. Rooms in the old section are all redone and very interesting. The tower section is very 80's style with nice but very small baths. There is a great large pool and exercise area. The hotel is conected to parking and the convention center with a maze of walkways and skybridges. It also has many banquet rooms. Several restruarants are within the hotel including a Ruth Crists stakehouse. The food is good but not great. The whole hotel needs a splash of color. I would suggest they allow the buyer from the gift shop to redo the place. His taste is excellent. The shop has local artistans,the quality is first class and very collectable. There are other shops for men and women with unique designer items and clothing. This is a pleasant surprise in a downtown setting. It's close to the Gerald R Ford Museum and other attractions.

Room Tip: I liked the old section of the hotel for a more unique experience. The tower has great views of the...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Carrie S, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your review! We are glad you appreciate the classic decor of our Historic Pantlind Lobby, and are pleased to announce that we are renovating the Tower Side of the hotel so you can look forward to a much more modern style there the next time you visit. I have shared your kind words with Nick, our Plaza Essentials Manager, about his good taste. He does an excellent job making sure our gift shop has wonderful items for our guests to enjoy during their time with us and after they return home. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed February 5, 2013

It is a yearly event for us to spend a weekend at the lovely Amway Grand at the end of January, it is our gift to ourselves for living in Michigan. We live in the same city so it is am easy destination regardless of weather conditions and the experience is always PERFECT. From the moment you arrive and turn the car to the valet to the time you leave, everyone on staff is efficient, friendly and eager to make the stay memorable. Rooms are tastefully decorated, clean and well maintained. The choices of restaurants offers a full array of options with something for every taste and budget and each offers wonderful food. (Do not miss their fresh baked pastries) The hotel is linked via a inside walkway to a performance hall and convention center as well a parking facility. You cannot go wrong staying here. We always leave promising ourselves a return visit and we always do.

Room Tip: We always chose the Tower Suites, they are more expensive but still a good value. We have not had a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I always enjoy staying at the Grand Amway. First of all the location is wonderful. Second the rooms are done very stately. I prefer the older part of the building. The old 1813 room was the best!!!!!
The beds are truly the most comfortable I have ever slept in.
Breakfast is fair but tasty. I also really enjoy the head valet who has been there for years remembers my name when I check in.
Thank you for some great stays!

Room Tip: Ask for the old part of the hotel. The towers are just ok.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your repeat stays with us at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel! I am glad you enjoy the Historic Pantlind side of the hotel and find the beds to be so comfortable. All of our beds come from Lady Americana Midwest - a fantastic distributor of luxurious mattresses. We are proud to have so many staff members - like our valets - who pay attention to detail and treat our guests so well. We look forward to having you back again soon! Thank you for posting this review.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

This is a very nice hotel located in downtown Grand Rapids. The service is fantastic and hotel lobby itself is massive and very inviting. Room rates were reasonable and there are a couple of coffee shops inside the hotel -- a Starbucks and an independent bakery/snack shop. The bellmen and valets were very attentive. I ordered a veggie pizza from Room Service and it was one of the best pizzas I've ever had! The sports bar/restaurant was closed for renovation so that was a bummer though. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank QPitmaster

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing a review of your experience! I am so thrilled to read that our veggie pizza was one of your favorites! Next time you are visiting us, I hope you have the opportunity to visit GP Sports now that the renovations are complete, as the sports bar and restaurant has excellent wood fired pizza that you would really enjoy. We hope to see you the next time you are visiting Grand Rapids!

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I love staying at the Amway Grand Plaza every time I'm in Grand Rapids. I am a Marriott girl and usually stay with that brand but I will always venture away for this hotel. The Amway Grand has great rates and is such a fabulous hotel! The staff is so professional and friendly. From the minute you pull up to the valet station, the attendants are so friendly, helpful and fast! Check in is a breeze and they even offered me a free upgrade. As an added bonus, there was an employee from Ruth's Chris in the lobby offering a complimentary chocolate mousse cup. Yum!

This hotel is so beautiful and elegant! The rooms are classic, comfortable and feature modern clean bathrooms. Ruth's Chris is attached to the hotel and is an excellent choice for dinner. Starbucks is also attached to the hotel and is a great breakfast stop. I love the convenience and the ability to not have to venture out of the hotel for food options because it was a cool 6 degrees and snowing outside. The hotel also has some great boutiques for some unique gifts and shopping.

Each night the maid came and offered a turn down service, lowered the curtains and left me two delicious mint chocolates from Kay Cummings Candies in SLC. What a treat! During my stay I used room service two nights and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and the very reasonable price for room service. Dinner was delivered each night by a very nice attendant on a beautifully displayed dinner cart.

I can't say enough nice things about this hotel. This was the third time I've stayed at the hotel and I absolutely LOVE IT!!! It has been an A++ experience every time!

Room Tip: Sign up to be a PreferredHotelGroup.com member and you may get a free upgrade upon check in.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Olive272
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed her numerous times but most recent was new years eve. Each of the ballrooms offered a unique upscale nye event. The staff very respectful as always and much more accommodating than that excuse of a hotel next door (jw marriott) ruth chris inside the amway offers the best steak in Grand Rapids. Amway is my go to hotel in the grand rapids area.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Carrie S, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your thoughts on your stay. I am so glad you enjoyed New Year's Eve with us! We are always honored when guests choose to spend holidays and special occasions with us, and am glad you appreciated the diverse and lively events we had in each ballroom, as well as the service from our staff. We look forward to hosting you again next year!