“Nice hotel, tiny room!”

GreenLeadersGold level
GA
“Nice hotel, tiny room!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

We spent five days at a business conference at the Amway Grand Plaza. The hotel is very nice. Our room was tiny, but we weren't in there a lot, so that was okay. The internet is free, and the wireless was good in our room. However, it was very slow in our friends' room, and we had trouble researching restaurants because we could not get the pages to pull up in their room. Our room had a terrible view of rooftops, but it was not noisy, and the bed was comfortable.
The convention facilities were good too but spread out. Our conference was huge, so we had some things in the hotel ballrooms and other things in the convention center across the street. We did have to do a good bit of walking back and forth, up and down to travel between the convention center (there is a skywalk between the two) and the hotel.
I missed the free continental breakfast offered at many chain hotels, but there is a Starbucks and a shop called Cornucopia in the hotel. Cornucopia has fresh pastries that are delicious. The hotel also has a sports bar that was quite good (the Gyro was yummy), Ruths Chris Steakhouse, and another restaurant.
The hotel also has two clothing stores and a gift shop that has cute children's toys.
The location is fantastic. It is walking distance from the little bit of shopping that is available in Grand Rapids and all of the museums -- the City Museum which is neat, the Children's museum, the Art Museum, and the Gerald Ford Museum. Also within walking distance are delicious restaurants, an outdoor ice skating rink, a piano bar, and many other things.
We enjoyed our stay at the hotel. We found the staff to be very helpful. I was very impressed with the town as well!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Carrie S, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Dear valued guest:

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us for your conference in Grand Rapids. We realize that you have many options in the area, and appreciate your patronage. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and took note of our freshly baked treats in the Cornucopia Deli, as well as our unique offerings in the gift shop. We love being in this downtown location, too, and are so fortunate to be in the fun and vibrant city of Grand Rapids! We look forward to seeing you again on your next stay.

At your service,

C. Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

First time stay for me. All around excellent customer service from reservation staff to checkout. Great location.

• Stayed February 2012
Dear valued guest:

We appreciate you trying out the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel – we know there are several hotel options in Grand Rapids and we are so thankful you chose us. We pride ourselves on having the highest hospitality standards, and are proud of our passionate and dedicated staff. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and can’t wait to serve you on your next visit!

At your service,

C. Smith
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed at the Amway Grand this weekend. The room was a luxury suite, so it was really nice and the view of the Grand River was spectacular! Beyond the room, the staff were amazing. The hotel was 100% full, and yet room service was fast, they were always professional and the night was quiet. The pool was perfect for the kids. Great stay, we would return to this hotel for sure.

Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

I attended a conference in Grand Rapids at the Amway Thursday - Sunday... overall had a very good experience. I requested and received a higher floor, better view room (1791). We were in the newer 'tower' side... the view was of the river, JW Marriott and the city. Good sized room, a bit dated decor (I hear they're going to make some improvements soon). Bathroom is kind of boring - no granite, slate, nothing really special. One complaint is that the heating system fan was really loud. I actually turned off the system; luckily the weather allowed it. The service throughout the hotel was consistently very good - to the point that some younger guy who probably worked in maintenance actually walked us thru the building to find the access to the skywalk instead of just telling us how to get there.

Room Tip: request a high floor, tower room
2 Thank lansingmitch
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2012

Polite staff, clean rooms. There are plent of restos nearby so don't bother eating in the hotel. Note the parking garage is on the left before you reach the main entrance on Pearl. Menswear shop in the lobby has dress socks and ties if you forgot. Their wi-fi does tend to kick you off rather quickly if inactive, but that's a minor quibble. Good for business travel.

3 Thank braneout
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

I recently stayed at the Amway Grand while attending a meeting. I arrived relatively late and was checked in very quickly. My room was in the older part of the hotel on the 5th floor. It was relatively small but well appointed. The bed was comfortable and the TV was a nice flat screen. The internet was included and worked well with the wired connection. The bathroom was very small (think cruise ship with a tub). The water pressure in the shower was bad....I'm sure it's a "green" showerhead but I cannot understand how water is saved when a shower takes three times as long. Anyway, the small size was fine for one but if my wife had been along, it would not have been easy.

The hotel has severals shops and restaurants, which were convenient. I ate lunch in the sports bar and the food/service were fine. The meeting catering was typical...chicken entree. They did serve a chocolate dessert that was great.

I had an early flight home so the night before I asked the desk to schedule a cab. They did and it was waiting the next morning. The staff is a strong point of this hotel.

West Bloomfield, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2012

I was genuinely excited to be staying at the Amway Grand Plaza based upon it's reputation. As a business traveler, I usually settle for the mundane (i.e. Hampton Inn, etc.) but I went for the upgrade ; I thought. This place is an average (or below) hotel charging first class rates. It is remarkable that for a one night stay, I experienced the following : they charge an additional fee for the use of the health club (remember that they charge top dollar for room), there was no room service menu in room and after waiting over 45 minutes for one to arrive, I had a very poor fish and chips at the sports bar ; well below average. The coffee shop, scheduled to open at 6:30, opened 15 minutes late even though customers were waiting outside and employees casually ignored us. 15 minutes is alot when you are on a schedule. Coffee was $2.50 for a small cup. When my breakfast arrived at my room (on time at 7:30) I was shocked that the scrambled eggs were in fact rancid. I work in the food industry so I know rancid. It took almost an hour to get a replacement meal which has seriously impacted my schedule. "Grand Plaza" indeed !!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo