“Excellent customer service from beginning to end.”

Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 26, 2012

First time stay for me. All around excellent customer service from reservation staff to checkout. Great location.

• Stayed: February 2012
Carrie S, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2012

Dear valued guest:

We appreciate you trying out the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel – we know there are several hotel options in Grand Rapids and we are so thankful you chose us. We pride ourselves on having the highest hospitality standards, and are proud of our passionate and dedicated staff. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and can’t wait to serve you on your next visit!

At your service,

C. Smith

Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed at the Amway Grand this weekend. The room was a luxury suite, so it was really nice and the view of the Grand River was spectacular! Beyond the room, the staff were amazing. The hotel was 100% full, and yet room service was fast, they were always professional and the night was quiet. The pool was perfect for the kids. Great stay, we would return to this hotel for sure.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

I attended a conference in Grand Rapids at the Amway Thursday - Sunday... overall had a very good experience. I requested and received a higher floor, better view room (1791). We were in the newer 'tower' side... the view was of the river, JW Marriott and the city. Good sized room, a bit dated decor (I hear they're going to make some improvements soon). Bathroom is kind of boring - no granite, slate, nothing really special. One complaint is that the heating system fan was really loud. I actually turned off the system; luckily the weather allowed it. The service throughout the hotel was consistently very good - to the point that some younger guy who probably worked in maintenance actually walked us thru the building to find the access to the skywalk instead of just telling us how to get there.

Room Tip: request a high floor, tower room
2  Thank lansingmitch
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Polite staff, clean rooms. There are plent of restos nearby so don't bother eating in the hotel. Note the parking garage is on the left before you reach the main entrance on Pearl. Menswear shop in the lobby has dress socks and ties if you forgot. Their wi-fi does tend to kick you off rather quickly if inactive, but that's a minor quibble. Good for business travel.

3  Thank braneout
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I recently stayed at the Amway Grand while attending a meeting. I arrived relatively late and was checked in very quickly. My room was in the older part of the hotel on the 5th floor. It was relatively small but well appointed. The bed was comfortable and the TV was a nice flat screen. The internet was included and worked well with the wired connection. The bathroom was very small (think cruise ship with a tub). The water pressure in the shower was bad....I'm sure it's a "green" showerhead but I cannot understand how water is saved when a shower takes three times as long. Anyway, the small size was fine for one but if my wife had been along, it would not have been easy.

The hotel has severals shops and restaurants, which were convenient. I ate lunch in the sports bar and the food/service were fine. The meeting catering was typical...chicken entree. They did serve a chocolate dessert that was great.

I had an early flight home so the night before I asked the desk to schedule a cab. They did and it was waiting the next morning. The staff is a strong point of this hotel.

Reviewed February 9, 2012

I was genuinely excited to be staying at the Amway Grand Plaza based upon it's reputation. As a business traveler, I usually settle for the mundane (i.e. Hampton Inn, etc.) but I went for the upgrade ; I thought. This place is an average (or below) hotel charging first class rates. It is remarkable that for a one night stay, I experienced the following : they charge an additional fee for the use of the health club (remember that they charge top dollar for room), there was no room service menu in room and after waiting over 45 minutes for one to arrive, I had a very poor fish and chips at the sports bar ; well below average. The coffee shop, scheduled to open at 6:30, opened 15 minutes late even though customers were waiting outside and employees casually ignored us. 15 minutes is alot when you are on a schedule. Coffee was $2.50 for a small cup. When my breakfast arrived at my room (on time at 7:30) I was shocked that the scrambled eggs were in fact rancid. I work in the food industry so I know rancid. It took almost an hour to get a replacement meal which has seriously impacted my schedule. "Grand Plaza" indeed !!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Ken S
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Michigan Fair Association holds its annual convention at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel in Grand Rapids, MI. This place is a sea of history, beauty and customer satisfaction at the top of their list. The 3-in-1 facility has merged 3 historic buildings to give multiple choices of accomodations, eateries and entertainment venue's and multiple choices on prices also, enabling people of all income levels to have a good time. The kitchen, built in the basement of the Pantlind hotel part of this complex, is the hub of all the out of this world tasty treats and meals for all the restaurants (about 5 or more), plus the banquets and weddings that take place here. There is a brand new kitchen in the Welch Auditorium/DeVos Hall part of the complex that is used only when a massive event is happening. A movie was shot in the tunnels that connect all the buildings, Pure Michigan ads were discussed and born during an event at the Amway Grand. They take pride in being almost totally green and master recyclers, and aim to use the resources found in Michigan to serve in the restaurants and other meals. An awesome blue LONG couch in the front Monroe street Lobby is the best people watcher spot too.

Room Tip: The bigger rooms in the Pantlind side are numbers ending with 47. The suites in the Pantlind side ar...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Carrie S, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2012

Dear valued guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us! We know you and your organization have many hotel options in the Grand Rapids area and appreciate your choosing us. We are proud to have been the host to so many conventions and exciting events, but hearing from guests who have enjoyed their experience with us like you makes us even prouder. Thanks again for choosing the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel; we look forward to your next visit.

At your service,