“Great experience!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Detroit, Michigan
“Great experience!”
Reviewed October 9, 2011

This was my 3rd time at the Amway Grand Plaza. But first time there since I was alot younger. After reading the review worried that all my fond memories of this grand hotel would be replaced by a sad shell of its former self. I was amazed how familiar it felt. I stayed in the old section, or Paintland part, and while our room wasnt huge, it was beautiful! So much of the hotel was exactly as I remembered it. Grand Rapids is a much more beautiful city than I thought and with the Art-Fest going on, it was wild! Great time and a great place to be for it. Thanks for a fantastic time! I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: I'd definitely stay in the Paintland part!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Nice location, well appointed rooms that are sparkly clean and outstanding customer service. Terrific place to stay.

• Stayed October 2011
Whiting, IN
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Just returned from a romance package at the Amway Grand. The price included a tower room with a view of the river, bottle of wine, truffles, cost of parking and a gift card and a late check out. We parked in the Amway garage across the street and took the walkway to the hotel. We entered the Pantlind part and had trouble finding the check in desk. (we weren't the only ones).

Check in was very pleasant, our room was ready early. We asked if we could change the time our wine would be delivered and they very kindly accomodated, however they failed in fulfilling the time request. After we dressed for dinner we explored a little of the hotel and went back to our room for some wine. After 2 phone calls to room service the wine was delivered 30 minutes late

We ate at Benthams for dinner and breakfast and the service and food was very good, reasonably priced as well.

The tower room had a great view of the river, very comfortable bed, but the carpet could have used a cleaning and the bathroom neeeds to be updated. We had a stack of towels on the sink top. We did sleep very well on the great beds.

Housekeeping was not aware we had a 2PM checkout which was part of the package. While our stay was pleasant, we felt there was some disorganization and miscommunication with details. I would appreciate someone letting me know they can't do something, instead of letting me think they can and then disappointing me. An example of that would be a few days before our reservation the Amway sent me an e mail asking us to check what we would like our room, like bathrobes, paper, type of pillow. None of what we requested was delivered. I realize it is a big hotel but they seem to stress service so they should deliver.

I guess we felt like we had a good time but have mixed feelings about going back. Given the price and dated rooms, we would just as soon try somewhere else. We just were not wowed. This hotel did have a great location. I have listed the pros and cons and hopefully this can help someone else decide.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank momwhiting
Kristal H, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
Dear Momwhiting,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your last stay with us. We realize that you have many hotel options in the Grand Rapids area and we appreciate your patronage. Thank you for your kind words about Bentham’s- I will be sure to share your experience with the staff. I’m sorry to hear about miscommunications of things you were promised in your package. I will pass on your comments to Housekeeping and Room Service to make sure we are working on these issues. If you have any additional questions or suggestions let us know as we are continuously seeking feedback to improve all guest experiences. We look forward to seeing you again!

At your service,

K. Heibel
Marshall, Michigan
Reviewed October 1, 2011

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel in Grand Rapids, MI again. Very classy place with a high degree of customer service a priority. My room was large, free Wifi, comfortable bedding, Flat Panel HD TV with a good selection of channels, impeccably clean and very friendly employees. The hotel also serves as a connection to the DeVos Place Convention Center, has outstanding restaurants including a new Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, a great gathering bar in the grand lobby area, lots of shops with very unique gift items and a top of the hotel restaurant/bar and a sports bar. All in all its one of the top hotels you will stay in anywhere.

1 Thank biggfoot18
Plymouth, Indiana
Reviewed September 29, 2011

We recently stayed at the Amway Grand while attending Art Prize and even though the hotel was sold out for the evening we were treated like we were the only guests. This hotel far exceeds most for the wonderful service and the location is excellent. When we checked in, even though there was a line, it moved quickly and efficiently and the staff was very warm and friendly even though they were very busy. I left my camera in the car when I asked about how to get to the car to get it, the valet said he could either go get the camera or bring the car to us if we needed it. Now that's service! Everyone from the bartender to the desk clerk to the valet went out of their way to make us feel welcome. We have stayed at other hotels in Grand Rapids and this one far exceeds all others. The staff goes out of their way to make sure you have a good stay. I just love this beautiful historic hotel and can't wait to stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Bayside, New York
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I have stayed at the Amway Grand a number of times. I felt it was time to review this great hotel. I stay there for a convention that is held each year in the DeVos Center, which is attached (and down the block) from the hotel. This hotel is classy, from the moment that you step into their lobby until your departure. Everyone who works there has a pleasant attitude and go out of their way to help you. My room was in the Tower. It was a king room, that was super clean, spacious, had a large balcony facing a river, had an awesome high-def TV, and an alarm clock that was easy to use. The hotel has numerous bars, including a large sports bar. It has a number of outstanding restaurants, including Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, where I had a fabulous meal (Cowboy Ribeye). It has a nice gym/spa with a pool, which costs only $5 per day. They do not charge you for internet service, which worked extremely well. What else can I say. You can't go wrong at this hotel.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 28, 2011

We stayed at the Amway Grand Rapids for a business trip. We were attending a trade show at the De Vos and found it very convenient to go to and from the trade show. Our newly decorated tower room that faced the river was well appointed and clean. Luxury linens and fine furniture. We wouldn't hesitate to stay again. Front desk staff were very helpful. There was an art show going on at the time and wished we had more time to explore the city other than work. We had a great breakfast at the Sundance Grill on Pearl Street and it was nice to have a home cooked type meal for a change on our business trip. It was a 5 minute walk away. In fact there were many places to eat with in walking distance to the Amway which makes this hotel an ideal spot.