“Lobby and Location best part”

Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I have heard for years that the Amway Grand was truly grand. There is really nothing wrong with this hotel but nothing truly wonderful about it either. The staff was very helpful and friendly, the lobby and location were the best two things about the hotel. The room was very clean and evening turn down service was provided, but it did seem a bit dated over all. I would stay at the JW Marriott next time just because the Grand was nothing to rush back for. If the price was right and the Marriott was booked I would have no reservations about staying here again.

Room Tip: I heard that some of the rooms have been updated, ask for a newer room if available.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton

Reviewed September 19, 2011

You can have the classic (renovated) historical hotel. You can have the new modern high rise hotel. You can have the sports bar. You can have the top floor bar and restaurant with the best view in the city. All located right on the river, connected to the main Grand Rapids highlights by a lovely river walk. The prices all seemed reasonable for such a great hotel complex.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Kristal H, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2011

Dear LieselSD,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your last stay with us. We realize that you have many hotel options in the Grand Rapids area and appreciate your patronage. I’m glad you had a memorable stay at our hotel and enjoyed Grand Rapids and the view from the river walk. Thank you again for choosing the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel; we look forward to seeing you on your next visit!

Reviewed September 15, 2011

We changed schedules and arrived a day early. Welcomed in and provided a room on the 22nd floor overlooking the Grand River and President Ford's Library. The room was wonderful, service at restaurants was polite and friendly, our requests for information were quickly and correctly provided. This is a quality place of lodging for someone travelling in the area. Don't miss the top floor lounge--after dark!!! We want an excuse to return to Grand Rapids and the Amway!

Room Tip: If you want to enjoy the river--take the new tower. If you want old elegance--take the original hot...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We stayed here for a wedding nearby. We got a group rate of $134 instead of $149/night. Here's what we got:

The good
- Nice view of river from our room
- Big flat screen tv (who cares)
- Central location
- Free WiFi
- Nice conference center
- Decent restaurants. Sunday brunch at Cygnus ($35) was excellent, but pricey.
- Courteous staff

The bad
- All printed hotel documentation indicates there is an airport shuttle. However, if you call, they insist they don't.
- $5/day to use the fitness center / pool. Really?
- At least $16/day for parking (non-valet). Many big hotels do this; so it wasn't apocalyptic.
- The bathroom needs an upgrade. Industrial toilet flush lever you would see in most public restrooms. Should I use my foot to flush it? Also you have to flush it a couple times.
- Tub drain stopper didn't work (wouldn't allow water to drain). Had to completely remove it.
- Hottest water out of shower was *almost* comfortably warm.
- You want complimentary coffee? Ha! No coffee maker in room, and complimentary coffee in the lobby ends at 6:30 AM.
- No safe in the room.
- Soda machine was broken (but they got me my money back).

Should we have to stay in this area again, we'll check out one of the many other hotels nearby.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cemcnich

Dear cemcnich,

I sincerely apologize that your stay was not up to the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel hospitality standards of which we are so very proud of. We strive to ensure each guest’s stay is memorable in quality and service but during your time with us, we clearly missed our mark. I’m so sorry there were miscommunications stating that we had an airport shuttle service. We are having our Marketing team go over all printed and electronic communications to make sure this mistake is corrected. I have also shared your feedback on our bathrooms with our Engineering team. I am happy to let you know that we recently have begun offering complimentary coffee. Not all rooms automatically have a coffee maker but if you request one from the front desk or Housekeeping we can bring one to you as long as there is an extra one available. We appreciate your feedback and if time allows, I extend an invitation for you to contact me directly to further discuss your experience. I can be reached at 616.776.6485 at your convenience.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

This is a beautiful old hotel right on the river in Grand Rapids. We had a room in the old wing of the hotel and while the room was a bit smaller (as is usual in older hotels) it had been fully renovated and was very comfortable. The common areas of the hotel are gorgeous. The sports bar was a great place to meet for drinks. The staff everywhere in the hotel were very helpbul and friendly. This is a grand place to stay when in Grand Rapids!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Really enjoyed the detail of the Amway Hotel...there was so much to see and the view from my room was priceless! The food was good (I am southern so I cant say it was great ) and the staff was very friendly. The bartenders knew their stuff and made one of the best mojito's I have had! If I ever find myself in this wonderful artistic city again I will most definately stay here :)

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business

Dear NOLARiverCItyCouple,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your last stay with us. We realize that you have many hotel options in the Grand Rapids area and we appreciate your patronage. I’m glad you had a memorable stay and enjoyed Grand Rapids and all it offers. I’m also pleased you enjoyed the food and that the staff provided exceptional service. Thank you again for choosing the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel; we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed September 2, 2011

This hotel is by far one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. The rooms are great but the hotel itself is beautiful. The meeting rooms are classy with such ornate design and accents. Beside the beauty, the food served was wonderful. Lastly the staff were all first rate willing to accommodate every request.
I do not often travel to Grand Rapids but if I do I know where to stay.

Room Tip: Check out the Geral Ford Museum only a short walk away.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business