“Something for everyone”

GreenLeadersGold level
San Diego
“Something for everyone”
Reviewed September 19, 2011

You can have the classic (renovated) historical hotel. You can have the new modern high rise hotel. You can have the sports bar. You can have the top floor bar and restaurant with the best view in the city. All located right on the river, connected to the main Grand Rapids highlights by a lovely river walk. The prices all seemed reasonable for such a great hotel complex.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Kristal H, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
Dear LieselSD,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your last stay with us. We realize that you have many hotel options in the Grand Rapids area and appreciate your patronage. I’m glad you had a memorable stay at our hotel and enjoyed Grand Rapids and the view from the river walk. Thank you again for choosing the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel; we look forward to seeing you on your next visit!

K. Heibel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 15, 2011

We changed schedules and arrived a day early. Welcomed in and provided a room on the 22nd floor overlooking the Grand River and President Ford's Library. The room was wonderful, service at restaurants was polite and friendly, our requests for information were quickly and correctly provided. This is a quality place of lodging for someone travelling in the area. Don't miss the top floor lounge--after dark!!! We want an excuse to return to Grand Rapids and the Amway!

Room Tip: If you want to enjoy the river--take the new tower. If you want old elegance--take the original hot...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We stayed here for a wedding nearby. We got a group rate of $134 instead of $149/night. Here's what we got:

The good
- Nice view of river from our room
- Big flat screen tv (who cares)
- Central location
- Free WiFi
- Nice conference center
- Decent restaurants. Sunday brunch at Cygnus ($35) was excellent, but pricey.
- Courteous staff

The bad
- All printed hotel documentation indicates there is an airport shuttle. However, if you call, they insist they don't.
- $5/day to use the fitness center / pool. Really?
- At least $16/day for parking (non-valet). Many big hotels do this; so it wasn't apocalyptic.
- The bathroom needs an upgrade. Industrial toilet flush lever you would see in most public restrooms. Should I use my foot to flush it? Also you have to flush it a couple times.
- Tub drain stopper didn't work (wouldn't allow water to drain). Had to completely remove it.
- Hottest water out of shower was *almost* comfortably warm.
- You want complimentary coffee? Ha! No coffee maker in room, and complimentary coffee in the lobby ends at 6:30 AM.
- No safe in the room.
- Soda machine was broken (but they got me my money back).

Should we have to stay in this area again, we'll check out one of the many other hotels nearby.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cemcnich
Dear cemcnich,

I sincerely apologize that your stay was not up to the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel hospitality standards of which we are so very proud of. We strive to ensure each guest’s stay is memorable in quality and service but during your time with us, we clearly missed our mark. I’m so sorry there were miscommunications stating that we had an airport shuttle service. We are having our Marketing team go over all printed and electronic communications to make sure this mistake is corrected. I have also shared your feedback on our bathrooms with our Engineering team. I am happy to let you know that we recently have begun offering complimentary coffee. Not all rooms automatically have a coffee maker but if you request one from the front desk or Housekeeping we can bring one to you as long as there is an extra one available. We appreciate your feedback and if time allows, I extend an invitation for you to contact me directly to further discuss your experience. I can be reached at 616.776.6485 at your convenience.

St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This is a beautiful old hotel right on the river in Grand Rapids. We had a room in the old wing of the hotel and while the room was a bit smaller (as is usual in older hotels) it had been fully renovated and was very comfortable. The common areas of the hotel are gorgeous. The sports bar was a great place to meet for drinks. The staff everywhere in the hotel were very helpbul and friendly. This is a grand place to stay when in Grand Rapids!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Vicksburg, Mississippi
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Really enjoyed the detail of the Amway Hotel...there was so much to see and the view from my room was priceless! The food was good (I am southern so I cant say it was great ) and the staff was very friendly. The bartenders knew their stuff and made one of the best mojito's I have had! If I ever find myself in this wonderful artistic city again I will most definately stay here :)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dear NOLARiverCItyCouple,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your last stay with us. We realize that you have many hotel options in the Grand Rapids area and we appreciate your patronage. I’m glad you had a memorable stay and enjoyed Grand Rapids and all it offers. I’m also pleased you enjoyed the food and that the staff provided exceptional service. Thank you again for choosing the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel; we look forward to your next visit.

Barrie, Canada
Reviewed September 2, 2011

This hotel is by far one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. The rooms are great but the hotel itself is beautiful. The meeting rooms are classy with such ornate design and accents. Beside the beauty, the food served was wonderful. Lastly the staff were all first rate willing to accommodate every request.
I do not often travel to Grand Rapids but if I do I know where to stay.

Room Tip: Check out the Geral Ford Museum only a short walk away.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Montana
Reviewed August 14, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at the Amway for a class reunion. Because we were traveling from out of state, and had a function to attend at four p.m., I requested early check-in. I did this when I booked, and then called the day before and the morning of to verify the early check-in. I was told that we would be able to get into our room by 2 p.m. at the latest, and that cleaning was marked "priority". When we arrived at 2:30, we were told that they room was not yet cleaned. As we sat in the lobby waiting, we watched as other friends, who had not requested early check-in, were allowed into rooms that were in the same block as ours. By four we were finally in our room--needless to say, we missed the function. On top of it all, it took 45 minutes and another phone call to get someone to bring our stored luggage to our room.

While other aspects of the hotel were nice, this very much affected how I feel about the hotel. I will not likely book there in the future.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MTteacher
ngriffioen, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, August 25, 2011
Dear MTteacher,

Thank you for your feedback. I sincerely apologize for the wait you experienced at check-in and with your luggage. We try our hardest to accommodate all guests’ requests and, unfortunately, we missed the mark with your needs. I will be sure to talk to our Front Office Managers about your experience. Again, I appreciate you taking the time to inform us of these opportunities for improvement. Please feel free to contact me directly at 616-776- 6462 if you would like to discuss your stay in more detail.

N. Griffioen