“Treated Like a Queen Once Again!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersGold level
Grand Blanc MI
“Treated Like a Queen Once Again!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2011

Stayed four nights for a MACAE conference and once again I was treated like a queen. Check in and room availability wasn’t quite up to standard since I had to wait an hour for my room. I could have switched to another room without a Riverview, but I really enjoy the view. The wait was due to late checkout time from a previous conference, but we arrived after 5pm. The staff made up for any inconvenience I had experienced. That is why I drive three hours on occasion to Grand Rapids just to enjoy the city, because I know I will get a good night sleep at the Amway Grand. I am also pleased when I am expected to stay on business.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank gwkelley
sverhoef, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, May 17, 2011
Dear jettygwk,

Thank you for your wonderful remarks; we are so happy that you enjoyed your time here at the Amway Grand. We want to apologize for the extended check in time and we also want to thank you for your patience. Once again, we are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

S. VerHoef

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
st. louis, mo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2011

This marriage of an old ‘classic’ – the Pantlind – and the new ‘smart’ – the Amway is a success, with the two buildings interlocking in all sorts of clever ways. The shops in the new building are well stocked, and the food service is good; we ate several times in the Cornucopia café (sandwiches, pizza slice, cookies, etc.), and once in the more upscale (albeit temporarily relocated) Bentham’s restaurant, and were satisfied each time. The meeting rooms are adequate, and the staff uniformly pleasant and helpful. We didn’t use the pool, but it appeared to be popular and liked. We also didn’t dine in the top floor Cygnus restaurant. One of our group stayed on the 13th floor of the Amway, from where the views of downtown Grand Rapids and the river were excellent. The room was well appointed, clean and quiet.
The last adjective - ‘quiet’ – sadly could not describe our room in the Pantlind. Beautifully appointed, with a very comfortable bed, nice desk, and a good bathroom (though the Kohler tub drain plug was defective, making a shower the only option), this should have been a delight. However, the noise from the other guests was really intrusive. The first night I was woken up by loud guests on the floor below talking loudly after 1:00 am; it took security two visits to quiet them down. The next night a couple moved into the room next door, and I was treated to their entire conversation, word for word. I went out into the corridor to knock on their door and complain, only to find that they could not be heard through the solid wooden door. Actually, they were not talking loudly, but instead their privacy (and my rest) was compromised by extremely thin walls.
The staff was responsive to my complaint the first night – it’s not their fault that some guests are raucous – but I soon realized that any future visit to this hotel would see me in the Amway tower, and not the historic Pantlind. The latter has magnificent public rooms and has been beautifully restored/maintained, but at some point the owners are going to have to tackle the issue of extraneous noise. Without exaggeration, it’s the worst I’ve encountered in a hotel of this overall quality.

Room Tip: Tower quiet, Pantlind noisy
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank twoteachersSt.Louis
sverhoef, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, April 20, 2011
Dear TwoteachersSt.Louis,

Thank you for your fantastic remarks; we are so happy that you enjoyed your time here at the Amway Grand. We are very proud of our facility and by reading your remarks, you got to enjoy not only the hotel but also some of the great restaurants and shopping. I want to apologize for the inconvenience that you encountered during your stay. I extend an invitation for you to contact me directly to further discuss your experience. I can be reached at 616.776.6485 at your convenience. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Grand Blanc, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2011

Our night at the Amway Grand was wonderful. My husband and I spent a recent Friday night at the hotel while on a short trip to visit our son who lives in the Grand Rapids area.

We booked the Romance package, which was offered online through the hotel's website. For $199 we had a standard room with a king sized bed, valet parking was included ($25 value), a $50 gift card for the restaurants in the hotel, a bottle of Canyon Road chardonnay ... chilled and waiting in our room and a box of chocolate truffles. The hotel has several nice restaurants and bars. We used our gift card for Starbucks coffee and drinks at one of the lobby bars. We used the remainder of the gift card for a package of Starbucks coffee to take home with us ...

Parking is very convenient, in a garage connected to the hotel by an enclosed pedestrian tunnel. In and out privileges were included with the self parking ... which we chose rather than valet (both are included in the package).

The Amway is located at the center of the Grand Rapids restaurant and night scene, with many, many nice restaurants and bars within walking distance.

Our room was predictably small for a hotel of this age, but was spotless and very nicely decorated. The bed was as comfortable as Westin's Heavenly Bed, with high end sheets. The bathroom was very small, but the shower was spacious and, as I mentioned, spotless. It is rare to find a hotel room this clean, comfortable, and well kept. Next time we may upgrade to a slightly larger room at a higher price. This room was,
however, fine for 2 people spending just one night.

The front desk staff was helpful in recommending a restaurant for lunch outside of the hotel as well as providing an area map.

The hotel lobby is beautiful, with chandeliers, and ballrooms for weddings and other events.

I would highly recommend the Amway, especially at the reasonable price which we enjoyed.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gbmom_11
sverhoef, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, April 13, 2011
Dear Gbmom_11,

Thank you for your wonderful remarks; we are so happy that you enjoyed your time here at the Amway Grand. We are so proud of our facility and by reading your remarks, you got to enjoy one of our packages, which allows you to enjoy not only the hotel but also some of the great restaurants and shopping outlets. Once again, we are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Playa del Carmen, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2011

Beautiful hotel. Lobby very elegant. Stayed on the 22nd floor. Beautiful view of the city and river! Long line for check-in, but that was because every hotel in the city was booked for the Bob Seger concert! Ate dinner at the sportsbar in the hotel before and after the concert. Good service. It was a little cold out, so it was nice that there was a covered walkway all the way to the concert. Beds and linens were so comfortable, very nice room! Nice clean rooms. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank nessi483
sverhoef, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, April 11, 2011
Dear Nessi483,

Thank you for your wonderful remarks! We are so proud of our facility and by reading your remarks you got a chance to enjoy not only the beautiful hotel but also GP Sports, our high energy sports bar. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of everything downtown Grand Rapids has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Ann Arbor, MI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2011

We stayed just one night in a concierge level room when we came to town for a concert.

To start with the positives: 1) every staff member we interacted with was fantastic--friendly, helpful, efficient; 2) the hotel is beautiful; 3) our room was large, quiet, and with a great bed; 4) the evening drinks/snacks were enough to be our light dinner and the morning breakfast was fresh and filling in the Tower Club Lounge for the concierge level; and 5) it is a great way to see a concert at Van Andel Arena since you can take the sky walk from the hotel to the arena.

The negatives: 1) We arrived about 3:45 pm and waited in line for 45 minutes to check in. It was not a good start to our stay and it took the time we had set aside for a quick shopping trip to a store I'd read about a few blocks away. They absolutely need to find a more efficient way to get people checked in when they are having a large influx of guests; and 2) It is silly to nickle and dime people who are paying this hotel's nightly rate. Five dollars to use the pool/gym facility, $5 to upgrade from tasteless coffee to Starbucks in your room. Those sorts of fees are tacky and take away from the elegant feeling the hotel is trying to put forward. Fairly minor charges, but I've never liked this approach.

We did not regret our stay and did enjoy many aspects of our experience, but it also wasn't quite what we expected from what we'd heard about the hotel.

Room Tip: The concierge level rooms are a good value.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
sverhoef, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
Dear Love2snorkel61,

Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our staff. I want to apologize for the delayed check in time and the extra costs that you encountered during your stay. I have reviewed your feedback in detail with our management staff, as always, we welcome all constructive criticism, as it helps us to get better. I extend an invitation for you to contact me directly to further discuss your experience. I can be reached at 616.776.6485 at your convenience.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2011

What a fun place to be! Being here on leisure, our family really enjoyed the amenities that Amway and Grand Rapids has to offer. The museums, restaurants and nearby shopping kept our family entertained!

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank thoxsie
Dear Thoxsie,

Thank you for your wonderful remarks. We are so proud of our facility and by reading your remarks, you and your family got a chance to enjoy the facility and all the downtown area to the fullest. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2011

I used to stay at this hotel at least 6 times a month with my mom for all of her business trips. The Amway was my second home and all employees took me in as if i was on of their kids! I loved the hotel to pieces and found it to be very elegant (for Michigan) and comfortable.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank BHSwannabe
sverhoef, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
Dear BHSwannabe,

Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our staff. We are so proud of our facility and by reading your remarks, you and your family got a chance to enjoy the facility to the fullest. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.