“Very Elegant”

Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Beautiful hotel. Lobby very elegant. Stayed on the 22nd floor. Beautiful view of the city and river! Long line for check-in, but that was because every hotel in the city was booked for the Bob Seger concert! Ate dinner at the sportsbar in the hotel before and after the concert. Good service. It was a little cold out, so it was nice that there was a covered walkway all the way to the concert. Beds and linens were so comfortable, very nice room! Nice clean rooms. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank nessi483
sverhoef, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2011

Dear Nessi483,

Thank you for your wonderful remarks! We are so proud of our facility and by reading your remarks you got a chance to enjoy not only the beautiful hotel but also GP Sports, our high energy sports bar. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of everything downtown Grand Rapids has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

S. VerHoef

Write a ReviewReviews (1,710)

Reviewed April 4, 2011

We stayed just one night in a concierge level room when we came to town for a concert.

To start with the positives: 1) every staff member we interacted with was fantastic--friendly, helpful, efficient; 2) the hotel is beautiful; 3) our room was large, quiet, and with a great bed; 4) the evening drinks/snacks were enough to be our light dinner and the morning breakfast was fresh and filling in the Tower Club Lounge for the concierge level; and 5) it is a great way to see a concert at Van Andel Arena since you can take the sky walk from the hotel to the arena.

The negatives: 1) We arrived about 3:45 pm and waited in line for 45 minutes to check in. It was not a good start to our stay and it took the time we had set aside for a quick shopping trip to a store I'd read about a few blocks away. They absolutely need to find a more efficient way to get people checked in when they are having a large influx of guests; and 2) It is silly to nickle and dime people who are paying this hotel's nightly rate. Five dollars to use the pool/gym facility, $5 to upgrade from tasteless coffee to Starbucks in your room. Those sorts of fees are tacky and take away from the elegant feeling the hotel is trying to put forward. Fairly minor charges, but I've never liked this approach.

We did not regret our stay and did enjoy many aspects of our experience, but it also wasn't quite what we expected from what we'd heard about the hotel.

Room Tip: The concierge level rooms are a good value.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
sverhoef, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2011

Dear Love2snorkel61,

Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our staff. I want to apologize for the delayed check in time and the extra costs that you encountered during your stay. I have reviewed your feedback in detail with our management staff, as always, we welcome all constructive criticism, as it helps us to get better. I extend an invitation for you to contact me directly to further discuss your experience. I can be reached at 616.776.6485 at your convenience.

Reviewed March 30, 2011

What a fun place to be! Being here on leisure, our family really enjoyed the amenities that Amway and Grand Rapids has to offer. The museums, restaurants and nearby shopping kept our family entertained!

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank thoxsie

Dear Thoxsie,

Thank you for your wonderful remarks. We are so proud of our facility and by reading your remarks, you and your family got a chance to enjoy the facility and all the downtown area to the fullest. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed March 28, 2011

I used to stay at this hotel at least 6 times a month with my mom for all of her business trips. The Amway was my second home and all employees took me in as if i was on of their kids! I loved the hotel to pieces and found it to be very elegant (for Michigan) and comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank BHSwannabe
sverhoef, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2011

Dear BHSwannabe,

Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our staff. We are so proud of our facility and by reading your remarks, you and your family got a chance to enjoy the facility to the fullest. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 14, 2011

We were ripped off money when out of our room. the staff was lazy and orderd a bed for friends cause we were drinking and didnt want to drink and drive they told them to drive drunk. no warning just leave. so we all left. filed a formal complaint with police dept for theft. I also had a very expensive suite

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sawyerswife
sverhoef, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2011

Dear Sawyerswife,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We extend our sincerest apologies that your stay was not a positive experience. Please understand our Security team wants you to enjoy your time at the hotel, but they must ensure that all our guests enjoy their time with us too. We are sorry the circumstances made you feel that you could not continue your stay with us. We hope in the future you will provide us the opportunity to amend your past stay, and provide you with the superior hospitality experiences we are known for. I extend an invitation for you to contact me directly to discuss further. I may be reached at 616.776.6485 at your convenience.

Reviewed February 8, 2011

We were in town for a conference so our company was paying for a very inexpensive group rate. However, that rate gets you a bed, and that's it. The health club is extra, and if you want to use the tanner, it's even more. Oh, you want internet? Extra. Coffee in your room? You could buy an entire breakfast for what they charge. Parking? Don't be ridiculous. When I questioned the desk about some of the charges they didn't even respond and just gave an attitude that people who didn't agree with all of these charges didn't belong at a first rate hotel. Funny, all of the other people checking out at the same time chimed right in stating that the additional charges were almost criminal.
BTW, there are at least a half dozen hotels withing walking distance that have all of the items I mentioned ... for free. I've been to GR a number of times since and have asked my company travel service to never book me at the Amway Grand again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank chappy57
sverhoef, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2011

Dear Chappy 57,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We strive to ensure each guest’s stay is memorable in quality and service but during your time with us, we clearly missed our mark. I want to apologize for your dissatisfaction with the extra fees that you mentioned while attending an event here at the hotel. The reason for having these fees is it gives our guests that are associated with a group or conference the option to pay or not pay for the extra items. The fees are often negotiated by a particular groups meeting planner and may reflect a lower room rate instead of having the items complimentary.

We welcome all constructive criticism, as it helps us to get better. I extend an invitation for you to contact me directly to further discuss your experience. I can be reached at 616.776.6485 at your convenience.

Reviewed February 6, 2011

Took my 16 year old niece and her two girl friends for a overnight stay after seeing the Princess Diana exbit. We got a great weekend rate, met with a smile and departed with a smile from the staff.
We stayed in the older section of the hotel. Our room was large, clean, big screen TV. It was quiet at night, beds were turned down in the evening and very comfortable. Location was great. We parked the car on check in and didn't use it until we left.
Had Sunday brunch at the last minute the staff went out of there way to accommodate us.
At first we were told they couldn't get us in then about 5 minutes later I received a phone call that they moved things around to fit us in. I really thought that was a nice thing to do.
My only wish is that I would have liked to gotten a spa treatment either Saturday night or Sunday morning but the spa closed at 6pm on Saturday and not opened on Sunday.
One last thing is that we arrived about 1:30 pm and they were able to get us into the room. They also have a 12 noon check out. Something that you don't see very often Was great with teenagers.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
sverhoef, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2011

Dear anntz,

Thank you for your wonderful remarks. We are so proud of our facility and by reading your remarks, you and your family got a chance to enjoy the facility to the fullest. I will mention to our Spa staff about your request for different hours and will try to make it more accommodating in the future. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.