“Not impressive, considering the price”

Six.One.Six Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 948 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Cuisines: American, Sushi, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: The JW Marriott signature restaurant, six.one.six, and destination lounge, mixology, offer the breathtaking blend of sophisticated urban ambience, palate-pleasing cuisine, as well as the finest wines and perfectly poured cocktails.Also a feast for the eyes, warm woods, custom lighting, and modern décor help create the perfect setting for a dinner party with friends or business partners. Care to experience our creative cuisine alfresco? We extend an invitation to dine at jdek, our vivacious outdoor patio. But more than just a "pretty face," six.one.six. takes its cuisine seriously. Dedicated to the concept of buying local, the chef's pantry is bursting with locally grown ingredients, some of which are picked just a few feet away at the JW Chef's Garden. The six.one.six. kitchen also participates in Sort, a recycling and composting program coordinated with Zeeland-headquartered Spurt Industries, which helps turn food scraps into top-quality soil for area parks.
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I ate here with an industry group so I had flatbread and sushi appetizers and then ordered the lovely soup, charred steak and a chocolate dessert. I also ate breakfast here, which was actually more impressive than the dinner.

Pros:
1. The location is great, on the first floor of the JW Marriot. There is a pleasant outdoor patio and the indoor space is also quite nice and decorated well.
2. A wonderful breakfast buffet if you are staying at the hotel. Fresh omelettes, fresh waffles, fresh fruit, eggs Benedict, and really crispy thick bacon. Fantastic breakfast.
3. The staff was very professional and dealt with our large group quite well. My three stars has nothing to do with the staff, only the food.

Cons:
1. Dinner is nowhere near as good as breakfast. The flatbread was great, but the sushi was only decent. The soup was, well, we are not entirely sure what it was. It was like a bland corn cream or something. The steak was seasoned well and the cognac peppercorn hollandaise was good, but the meat only cooked so-so. It become tough in the center, which is not really acceptable at $36 considering I ordered it "chef's choice". Finally, the dessert was just iffy.

I do not recommend this restaurant considering that Leo's is just down the street, which we ate at the night before. I am hoping, based on the other reviews, that the chef was having an off night, but I must rate what I experienced and that was not overly impressive.

Carrie S, Manager at Six.One.Six Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for dining with us, and for taking the time to review your experience. I am so glad that you enjoyed our beautiful location, the breakfast buffet, and our wonderful staff. However, I would like to sincerely apologize for the unacceptable food you were served. Our chef has reviewed your comments carefully and is using your feedback to improve. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again soon and "wow" you with excellent food and service!

There are newer reviews for Six.One.Six Restaurant

Reviewed September 24, 2013

My fiancée and I needed to entertain two guests that were in town for a convention. We have had many wonderful meals at six.one.six and this was no different. Outstanding atmosphere, great food and exceptional service. Our guests loved it. Mission accomplished!

Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you so much for dining with us and for entertaining your guests with us! We are always honored and flattered when our local guests choose to entertain visitors at our restaurant. We are glad you had yet another wonderful experience. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 16, 2013

616 chowder excellent, steak with fingerlings/asparagus excellent. My mother would be proud that I ate asparagus. My wife had a new item it was a fish that I don't recall the name but she enjoyed it as well. Cheesecake and Creme Brulee for dessert. Impeccable service, front of house staff well trained. Manager and Sous Chef (on a Friday night no less) visited table to ensure quality.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for dining with us and sharing this wonderful review! I am so glad you enjoyed the chowder, steak and fish dishes, and desserts - and that you had a chance to meet our manager and sous chef. We hope to host you again soon for another extraordinary meal! We look forward to seeing you.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Food was great! The steak was the best I've ever had and the service was wonderful. Will be coming back!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We went to Six-One-Six for a family occasion since we had read great reviews and wanted to eat near the water. First of all, despite having a reservation, we were seated far from the windows so we had no view of the water at all, and they insisted that we should have specified in our reservation that we wanted a water-front table. They were really rude about this when we expressed our disappointment, and the service just got worse from then on. The food was not even mediocre when it came (I had chicken which had no flavor at all), and my dessert was worse. My mother was taking us all out and I couldn't believe she had had to spend more than $50 just on my meal when it was hardly edible. So disappointed.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for dining with us, and sharing this very important feedback with us. I sincerely apologize for the unacceptable service and food that you received on our visit - which falls far below our high standards. If you would be so kind as to contact me directly at csmith@amwayhotelcollection.com so that I can gather more information and make this situation right, I would really value the opportunity.