“Best Chinese and Japanese food in Grand Rapids.”

Shanghai Ichiban Chinese
Ranked #101 of 955 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I live in Grand Rapids, and I go to Ichiban every time I want to eat a good Chinese or Japanese food.
They are the best in town! I highly recommend this place.

2  Thank Gabi-Cretu

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We had dinner on the Japanese side with the show which delighted us all. The chefs are so fun to watch and the food is great as well. I loved the grilled rice and vegetables with the freshly toasted sesame seeds. Oh yeah, did I mention how yummy the shrimp were? A little expensive but the dinner is an experience not just a meal.

1  Thank santa49303
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is my absolute favorite restaurant in Grand Rapids! Family owned and run - they cater to all types of clientele and will go out of your way if they know you are not happy. I have several food allergies and they have no problem accommodating me. Each chef is trained for a minimum of a month before they are allowed to work the grill and even then they have to continue practicing to perfect their performances. Based on the amount of food you receive with each meal the prices are more than reasonable. (I get dinner plus 2 other meals every time we visit them)

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I've been to shanghai numerous times over the years . However, this was the first time in two years. Part of the value of this place is in the performance of your chef at the hibachi setting. Ours was going thru the motions... Mumbling thru his performance and frequently I asked him to repeat. I brought my grand kids and requested the " corny" fake mustard squirt. He indicated that his was broken. Rather than going over to the other four chefs and borrowing a fake squirt.. He went on thru his act. Which by the way the "act" is really growing old. Over the last 6 years it has not changed and needs to get updated. The act is the reason you pay their high prices for their average tasting food. Our food was over cooked and had very little taste. Also the groupon ticket is not a good value. It's virtually impossible to hit the value of the coupon... I'm not going back... I've heard Fuji yami is good might be the way to go..

Reviewed January 2, 2013

The place is a lot prettier than a typical asian restaurant but mostly in the dinner area... the lunch area is pretty standard. The food is extremely good and well priced. The service is hit and miss but not that they are bad - just not talkative.