“Loved it!”

Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Claremont, California
“Loved it!”
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Stayed here for a long weekend. So glad I went with a Marriott property. It was standard JW style modern and updated, quality and service just what we expected. location good to the hot spots in town restaurants and bars. Beautiful river views at hotel bar and restaurant.
We would recommend a corner room as there is more space. The view we had from our room overlooked the river and it was gorgeous. Turn down service every night which was nice, so housekeeping comes thru twice a day, which we like. The hotel restaurant does a daily breakfast bar for $15 which can't be missed. Also, the pool area was very nice and worth a try if you stay here, spa-like atmosphere my husband enjoyed the eucalyptus steam rooms. Only disappointment was the spa which was not open consistently so it was hard to get an appointment. I think that is due to the economy and lack of business in the area. I didn't hold that against JW, otherwise we loved it here!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Korean first
münchen
Reviewed July 16, 2010

rooms are spacious, service is great, people working here are fun. spa is nice, fitness room good, too. i love the breakfast buffet and the lobby bar. the bar is not the coolest place, but the snack menu is really (try the flatbreads or the cheese selection) good and you can sit outside by the river and unwind. usually many groups there for conferences and such, the conference rooms are ok. conference food is great.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Commerce, Michigan
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Decor is ultra modern chic. Lobby area is amazingly small and uninviting. The hallways were very noisy, even as late as 3:30 AM. There were a number wedding parties staying that weekend.
We visited the hotel restaurant on Saturday morning to find that only a breakfast buffet was available, no menu service. While the buffet was fine, I would expect being able to order from a menu at a JW.
Most disappointing was that upon returning to our room one evening, we found that the staff forgot to clean our room. While someone was sent up to clean the room, the staff did not appear very concerned over the situation.
This JW did not live up to expectation.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TrueBlueMichigander
Michigan
Reviewed June 7, 2010

This JW is not at all like the others I have stayed. I am a rewards member, and was treated as a second class citizen. The manager, Nick would not call me back. Brian at the front desk doesn't have the customer service skills to be a Walmart greeter! Dinner at the 616 was a huge disappointment. Veal was horrible, and they don't offer a filet because it's "seasonal". When did cows become seasonal animals? The location is awesome, but I think next time I will stay at the Amway Grand, which is right next door.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
detroit
Reviewed June 3, 2010

Good rooms, decent view of the river, excellent and helpful staff, decent breakfast, clean, new and spacious, excellent location. Everything you need from a hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Muskegon, MI
Reviewed May 24, 2010

We wanted to stay both Friday & Saturday nights to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary, but they were booked for Friday night. We ended up staying at another hotel in the area, which was fine because this hotel is a bit pricey. We got $75 JBucks to use during our stay which we could use at the restaurant, lounge, spa, gift shop, or Starbucks. It would've been nice if we could've used the JBucks on room service, but we used it for dinner & drinks at Mixology, the hotel bar/lounge. We wanted to get massages at the spa, but they were booked. They are closed Sundays, and are only open until 6pm on Fri/Sat. They can schedule for after hours, but there is a $40 extra fee.

I made the reservation on the phone, and spoke to a very helpful man who acted like I was the most important person he ever talked with. I also purchased a Michigan package which would deliver some local beers, chips & homemade salsa, and pizza to the room. The following morning, Adam (concierge) called me to see if I had any other questions and to see what kind of pizza I would like in my package. (I ended up changing the order after we arrived at the hotel, and they were more than willing to accomodate my changes.) About an hour after I got off the phone with Adam, a woman from the spa called to see if I would like to set up an appointment at the spa. I had inquired about spa prices originally online, so she was following up to see if she could assist me in any way. I am not a person who can make a decision without looking at all my options, so I didn't schedule any spa services ahead of time. I maybe should have since by the time I made my mind up once at the hotel, there weren't any openings!

We were on a Concierge floor, which entitled us to complementary breakfast, hors d'oeuvres, drinks, desserts, & snacks in the Concierge Lounge. The appetizers & desserts weren't that great (not many options either), but there was free non-alcholoic beverages 24 hours a day, and when I stopped by at night to see what they were offering for desserts, they let me take a Corona (with lime) back to my room!

This was a great hotel, with modern decor, and customer service being their #1 priority. It was a great expeierince, and we will come back for another special occasion sometime!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Detroit
Reviewed May 14, 2010

Stayed at the hotel and arranged to meet family for dinner at the hotel restaurant. I didn't think we needed a reservation as it was the middle of the week. I went down to the restaurant and saw it was quite crowded. I spoke with the manager, Aaron Parker, who assured me that he would find us a table. We had to wait in the lounge area where we were served complimentary drinks due to the "inconvience of having to wait"
(which was our fault for not reserving a table).
Anyway, I can't say enough nice things about Mr. Parker as he was
so nice and came to the table to ask whether everything was going well and was the table satisfactory and were we enjoying the food? The answer to all those questions was yes, it was a perfect evening due to the manager's desire to please his customers.
I would recommend this hotel and this restaurant to anyone visiting Grand Rapids.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo