“Modern fantasy”

JW Marriott Grand Rapids
Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This hotel is urban chic. It is an extremely modern,clean,and service was great! The beds were extremely comfortable and drinks on the terrace were phenomenal! The hotel also has a very nice view and pool with two steam rooms and a hot tub. I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Grand Rapids

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I've stayed at this J W Marriott twice now, and I love it. If I could, I'd ship one of their mattresses, four pillows, and the shower head to my home. I sleep so well, and the shower is fantastic.

The service here is also consistently top notch, from the front desk to the wait staff and housekeeping.

Room Tip: Get a river view if you can.
Reviewed July 2, 2013

After a long road trip, the JW Marriott was a welcome relief. Everything about this hotel is first class, modern, friendly, and comfortable.

Check in- Valet parking was standing by. They also are available to bring things from car directly to your room at any time (which proved useful). Friendly receptionist and excellent bellhop helped us to our room. And with a two year old, that is beyond helpful.

Room- The room faced the river and was more then comfortable. The entire outer wall was a window. The bed was perfect and had convenient reading lights. The kitchenette had a fridge. But the bathroom was the best part. Very classy. Clear shower (multiple heads, deep tub, granite vanity. The aromatherapy soaps / shampoos were so good we bought some online. Wi-Fi was also very fast and stable. Room could not have been cleaner.

Pool / fitness- 3rd floor. Extremely clean and modern. Indirect blue lighting adds an classy touch. Fitness center was one of the best i have seen at a hotel. Free weights, lots of equipment, and cardio options. Pool was warm and had nice feel to it. Spa / Sauna was much appreciated. Eucalyptus Scented steam room was a new experience for me.

Restaurant / Bar- although having a two year old with us prevented my wife and I from partaking in the evening fun, we were envious of the people enjoying this great bar and restaurant. We ordered room service for dinner and breakfast (for convenience with having a toddler with us) and both meals were wonderful. Presented very professionally.

minor complaint- we were on the 13th floor and the music from the bar was very audible. We don't mind considering we would normally be down there enjoying it, but it was a bit disturbing. Stay as high a floor as possible. Also alot of drunk guests were screaming in the halls around 1am. Not the hotel's fault but annoying. I think staying in the Concierge level next time will help that situation.

The rooms were a great value. We highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in the Grand Rapids area. We will be staying here and at other JW Marriott's going forward.

Thanks for the great stay!

Room Tip: Concierge level, a must.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Carrie S, Manager at JW Marriott Grand Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing this valuable feedback about your stay. I am so glad your family was able to experience a convenient and enjoyable time with us, and that you had a chance to visit our pool and take advantage of in-room dining. We appreciate all your many compliments on our facility and staff, and also appreciate your feedback about noise level in the later hours. We hope to have the opportunity to host you once again very soon.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is a hotel that definitely stands out among the rest. The hotel looks amazing from the outside, and when you walk inside, it doesn't disappoint. The staff was friendly and the elevators were very quick. The single bed room I was in was very nice and modern with plenty of space to relax. One entire wall of the room was a big window, which offered great views of the river and city. The bed was very comfortable, the TV was great, and the internet was pretty good. The shower was incredible and the bathroom was very nice with lots of space. The only downfall of this room was that the air conditioner didn't really keep the room very cool.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Carrie S, Manager at JW Marriott Grand Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to review your experience! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and were able to relax in your room, along with enjoying the comfortable bed, TV, and Internet service. We apologize for your malfunctioning air conditioner - we will have our engineering department examine that air conditioner if you would be so kind as to contact us directly to let us know which room you stayed in at csmith@amwayhotelcollection.com. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We spent two nights in Grand Rapids on a car trip from Toronto to Chicago. The hotel was wonderful. I really appreciated the overall ambience and room decor. The shower was great as were the wonderful bedding and sheets. We had a room with a full view of the Grand River.
The hotel restaurant was superb. Overall, the hotel was great. Grand Rapids is a bit quiet for our tastes and we probably could have just stayed one night, but the hotel made up it and the pool was great.

Room Tip: get a room with a river view
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The JW Marriott is the crown jewel of hotels for Grand Rapids. The service is outstanding. I stayed in a room o the 21st floor and the view was incredible. The room itself was amazing. Being local I have been to many events that have been put on by the hotel, all of which have been a lot of fun to attend. The food is also incredible. On a warm summer evening enjoy a view of The Grand River on the JDEK. This is my favorite place to stay locally for my wife and I if we want a romantic night out away from the kids.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Murph2121
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Okay, sure it'd be easy to punt this review and just say that I'm partial to Marriott's and that all JW's will get 5 stars from me. But in this case 5 stars at the JW in Grand Rapids is very well deserved.

I travel - a lot. At least 16 hotel rooms a month. After awhile all hotel rooms become a blur with only one distinguishing fact - they are not home and you never feel quite comfortable there. Enter the JW in Grand Rapids. While its not home if you can't fell comfortable here, have a safe journey back to your alien planet!

Location is great right in the heart of the city on the river.

Customer service is outstanding and every request is answered with "my pleasure sir".

The restaurant and lounge is terrific and the food is wonderful. On weekend nights like tonight as I write this there is a live three piece jazz band playing and everyone I see is smiling.

The rooms are impeccably stylish and clean. Appointments and furnishings are the best available. The beds are uber comfortable and the bathrooms have a seperate large shower and a bathtub deep enough to almost swim in. Nice.

I absolutely love coming here and look forward to every visit. My advice? Go, relax and unwind. Stroll by the river, sip a drink on the balcony or just chill listening to the live music. Otherwise take your pick of any other hotel in town - none can compare to the JW.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank DeltaSkyKing

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for sharing this wonderful review! Your words about feeling so at home in our hotel even when you are traveling much of the time are especially meaningful for us. We strive every day to make all of our guests and visitors feel comfortable and able to rest, relax, and enjoy themselves. I am also pleased to see you enjoyed our live jazz on Friday and Saturday nights in Mixology! This sets such an outstanding mood for the lobby and truly does put a smile on everyone's face. We're glad it did yours.

We look forward to hosting you again very soon.