“Family Friendly Five-Star Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Grand Rapids

JW Marriott Grand Rapids
Ranked #2 of 50 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Rochester Hills, Michigan
“Family Friendly Five-Star Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

High-end hotel that caterers to children....yes the JW Marriott did all of this while be walking distance to the Children's museum. Even the early evening entertainment int he lobby was welcoming to my little one. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Everything is walking distance make sure to bring good shoes. Also, they don't mention that the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Korean first
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights while attending a trade show at the convention center. This JW is very nice and located right on the Grand river. Room was modern with a great view of the river. The bathroom was great with both a large soaking tub and a separate shower with a very cool double shower head.

It was a close walk to the convention center. You can walk either outside on the streets, on the sidewalk along the river, or if the weather is bad go via the "skytube" (skytube to the Conv Ctr is a little confusing as you have to go through the Amway hotel, it's kind of maze-like but warm).

Had a couple of very nice meals in the restaurant; Six One Six.

This JW also has a very nice fitness center.

Only thing I didn't like about the hotel was the use of annoying blue lights in the lobby area. On the couple of occasions we were having drinks I felt like they would give me a migraine if I stayed there too long.

Room Tip: get an upper floor on the river side. My room had huge floor to ceiling windows the full width (a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
New Hyde Park, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Was there for a wedding and enjoyed the hotel. Exactly what I expected from this Marriott brand. Great location with wonderful views. Friendly, client focused staff. All the amenities you need and a short walk to just about all of the local attractions.

• Stayed October 2012
Dexter, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This hotel is a wonderful addition to downtown Grand Rapids. Every part of our stay at the JW Marriott was first class. Well decorated and appointed rooms were spotlessly clean. Breakfast buffet at Six-One-Six included as part our package was excellent...probably the best omelette I've ever eaten! The service staff were friendly and helpful. I would recommend this hotel unreservedly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed in room 2101 a double queen room that was good size, but certainly not a suite, with a good view of the river and skyline.

PRO's:
Too Many to list; here are a few

• Very good beds and excellent pillows. Heavenly duvet.
• Upscale décor throughout room and hotel
• LG 37” flat screen TV
• Solid surface counters with marble floors in bathroom.
• Entire room was very clean
• Small seating area with table
• Nice view
• Has small fridge
• Marriott robes provided for use during stay
• Nice pool/whirlpool area with steam rooms (no fee)

CON’s:

• LONG walk to parking area. Drop bags at the door and/or use valet (for a fee)
• Decent workout room, but it smelled stale
• No Microwave
• Fee for wireless
• Moderate train sounds most nights between 10-11:00 pm can be annoying

WORK AREA

• The work desk was good size, with an excellent chair. FOUR (4) outlets for electronics (Yeah, Marriott) Average lighting. TV interface with HDMI port.

Breakfast/Food

I was attending a Conference, so all of our meals were provided at the convention center. I ate breakfast at the concierge lounge on the 23rd floor. Breakfast was provided in my room class. The breakfast in the lounge was sparse and unremarkable. It’s OK for a light morning bite to eat, but I wouldn’t depend on it for a meal.

POOL

The pool was nice, clean and warm but is only 3.5’ deep. OK for laps and wading. There is a separate area for the whirlpool which is surrounded by glass for a good view outdoors. I would recommend using the steam rooms, especially the eucalyptus scented room.

SCORE: This is an excellent property for the money and is at the top of the list for choices in Grand Rapids, perhaps on par with the Amway Grand Plaza across the street. Like most full service Hiltons or Marriott’s, bring a full wallet, everything is pricey. However, they never crossed the threshold where you felt gouged, which is important to me. I will pay a fair price for good service and that’s exactly what you get at this property.

I would give this property a 95/100 overall and an 90/100 for value. ENJOY!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
STANTON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The JW Marriott in downtown Grand Rapids is a great upscale property close to all your favorite events. Walking distance to so many great restaurants including Sundance Grill, The Woods, Mojo's dueling piano bar and many more. Very nice staff. We needed an extra towel on our second night and they rushed it right up. valet parking is $25 or park yourself across the street for $16. Worth the price!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I grew up in Grand Rapids and always had it in my head that the Amway was the only place to bother staying. I have to say that I am now convinced that for me, the JW is now convincingly the only place to stay in town. I will recommend it enthusiastically to anyone I know passing through Grand Rapids.

What sets it apart is the service. The manager somehow has figured out how to run the place like the friendly host of a bed and breakfast or a small boutique - I am still baffled on how he has the time to connect so well and so warmly with all of his guests, all while seamlessly running a large hotel and maintaining the respect and admiration of his employees.

If I had to offer advice, it would be to definitely stay on the concierge floors. The view from the concierge lounge is spectacular, and is the perfect place to start your day with an espresso or unwind with a glass of wine or Michigan brew at night. No matter how much you can fill up here with the offered snacks, save room for dinner at the six.one.six restaurant. Mandatory. This place surpassed all of my expectations. At first glance, the menu seems very unassuming, almost basic. Steaks, pastas, some fish - but this is unpretentious food mastered. I live in Argentina, the land of gauchos and beef, and even with my ridiculously high standards, I was impressed by how well the steaks were made (and the wine list, featuring many lesser-known wines from around the world, was also greatly appreciated). It's now three weeks later and if I close my eyes I can still taste the homemade mint chocolate chip gelato, arguably the best of my life (and I have tried a LOT!).

Another thing that the JW has managed to do impressively is span all sorts of markets. It is obviously the perfect choice for business travelers, yet I know a lot of couples from nearby who make it their go-to place for a romantic weekend. I happened to stay with my 3 young kids and at all times I felt more than comfortable, as though they were completely welcome by all of the staff.

I could go on and on about everything that I love about this hotel. But to sum up, from the time I walked through the door to the time I left, I felt like family there. My only problem is that now I'm trying to figure out how to tell my parents (who live 15 minutes from the JW) that when I come to Michigan to visit them, I may have to stay at the JW as opposed to with them. :)

Room Tip: Splurge for concierge level, for sure - it is actually a great value for what you get. Both views...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business