“Beautiful property, Great location”

JW Marriott Grand Rapids
Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Fort Worth, Texas
“Beautiful property, Great location”
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Better than standard Marriott, in great location. Ford Presidential Museum is across street. River views are excellent!

Room Tip: Get a river view.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Korean first
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed February 7, 2012

The JW Marriott Grand Rapids is housed in a very "cool" building and has super "cool" rooms and public areas. I always enjoy being in GR as I grew up there. I was a little disappointed in the staff: they were very slow answering the phone--I even hung up once because I waited so long, and many seemed a bit green in the service industry. But, I think, because they're Marriott, they will most likely improve.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Carrie S, Manager at JW Marriott Grand Rapids, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us, and we're so glad that you took note of our uniquely designed spaces. At the JW Marriott Grand Rapids, we hold ourselves and our staff to high standards of guest service, and we clearly failed to achieve those standards during your time with us. We sincerely apologize for that, and hope that you will stay with us again sometime soon so that we can show you the service that so defines the JW.

At your service,

C. Smith
San Diego
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I only had a one-night stay here and that's way too bad. This definitely an upscale hotel with beautiful guest rooms and outstanding public areas. With contemporary appointments throughout, everything was sleek and clean.

My purpose for staying was purely business and in January, having access to skyways to get me to the Devos Convention Center and also to the Amway Hotel was perfect.

The plusses:
clean, beautiful, quiet room
temp control easy to manuever
fantastic shower w/separate tub
Nice fitness center
great, friendly staff, inc. helpful bellmen--some of the best

The minuses:
mattress was quite firm
restaurant service was really slow and...
overpriced burger was poorly prepared (unless you like burnt bricks)
Starbucks closed early--had to go to neighboring hotel for an open Starbucks
Concierge Lounge (evening reception) was terrible--appetizers were totally picked over, tables not cleaned off for new arrivals

I would stay here again despite my dislikes, and as I mentioned, I was bummed that my stay only included one night.

2 Thank delledge
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Stayed 2 nights. Location is on the river, close to some great restaurants. The hotel is new, so the interior is nice, has style, and clean! My room had a view of the river, was quite large, and nicely designed. Bathroom nice and big, bed was comfortable. Service was great, valet service excellent, I would call down for my car and it was always waiting in front of the hotel.
There is a nice bar and restaurant in the hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Carrie S, Manager at JW Marriott Grand Rapids, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your enjoyable last stay with us. We are so glad our beautiful hotel and fantastic staff were able to create a memorable stay for you, and we appreciate your patronage. Thanks for choosing the JW Marriott Grand Rapids, and we look forward to seeing you again the next time you're doing business in the area!

At your service,
C. Smith
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed January 17, 2012

This is an amazing property--

Service is perfect, the restaurant is excellent, the ambiance is amazing and the view is spectacular besides a tub and shower in every room.

Spend a night just for the architecture. Hard to believe such a jewel is hidden here in Grand Rapids, MI

Those week in the knees from heights should probably avoid looking over the railing edge by the elevators. 265 feet straight down inside the building!

Room Tip: Higher floors offer better views inside and out.
1 Thank Not_the_UGLY_AMERCN
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed January 15, 2012

This is an excellent hotel if you are travelling to Grand Rapids.Very efficient staff.Excellent restaurant , however not much choice if you are a vegetarian.
Had an opportunity to stay in this hotel for 40 days in the last two months of 2011 and got to know the hotel very well.They gave me access to the Lounge on the 23 rd floor and for the entire stay put me in room 2204 which had a spectacular view facing the river.
Would highly recommend this hotel .

Room Tip: I was in room 2204 for the entire stay.Excellent view overlooking the river.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
michigan007
Reviewed January 15, 2012

It's really a great hotel with a modern/contemporary design. The room was perfect, with comfortable beds, a flat screen tv, and a very large bathroom. It is connected to the Grand Rapids skywalk which is a big plus if you are attending a conference or event at Devos convention center or the Van Andel Arena.
My only complaint, and it is a minor one, is that while booking the hotel the website asked me specifically if I would like a higher or lower floor, I requested higher, and they put me on one of the lowest floors they had rooms on. They weren't fully booked so I don't know why my request wasn't honored. But overall, this is a great hotel, and I would probably return.

We had a chance to walk through Grand Rapids' other upscale hotel, the Amway Grand Plaza, which is also connected through the skywalk. While we didn't stay there, that hotel was beautifully appointed in a richly traditional design, much like that of the Grand Hotel with breathtaking chandeliers and grand staircases. It seemed nice too. Bottom line, if you prefer more a modern design, pick the JW Marriot, if you prefer a more traditional victorian style, pick the Amway.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family