“First class hotel for casual or seasoned traveler”

JW Marriott Grand Rapids
Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We travel frequently and this was one of the best hotel experiences we've ever had. Super-clean, elegant and comfortable, not at all pretentious. Every detail was thought out. The staff was beyond accommodating and went out of their way to make us feel at home. Kevin checked us in and was as gracious and obliging as they come. The pool room, hot tub and saunas were clean and the kids loved them. This hotel had an exceptional breakfast buffet that we felt was actually under-priced. Although this is clearly a business hotel, it was warm and inviting and didn't feel at all sterile. We didn't feel silly staying there as a family as with most such places. The downtown location is clean, safe and great for walking. We will be back for sure.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Grand Rapids

Reviewed November 25, 2011

I am fortunate to be able to stay frequently at the JW Marriott in Downtown Grand Rapids for business. I consider it my home away from home in GR. From the time I pull into the valet until I am on my way home at the end of my stay (whether it's a single overnight or an extended visit), the entire staff of the JW makes me feel like a VIP! The staff always greets me by name, with a smile and does everything it can to go above and beyond my expectations. I often refer clients and colleagues to the JW because I know they'll be well taken care of, which reflects back on my recommendation. Definitely one of Michigan's premier hotels!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the concierge level...it offers added security and access to the lounge, with happ...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 21, 2011

We spent a weekend at the JW. Check-in was quick & efficient. The rooms are very nicely appointed, I loved the chaise. Large bath with seperate tub & shower. The room was very quiet. Great views of the Grand river.

The "sky-walks" to the convention center is a big plus with inclement weather. We also tried the in-house resto "One Six One". Great ecclectic dining. Imaginative offerings such as rabbit, sushi, and steak. We opted for the "smalls" splitting a wide array of tapas.

Room Tip: Ask for river view
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Ahh, the JW in Grand Rapids... what does it mean to me? It means a reliably great experience every single time I visit Grand Rapids!
Love the hotel & layout itself, and is located in the heart of downtown on the river... in summer it's nice to sit outside in their newly created outdoor lounge area, in winter it's, um - pretty to look at from way up in your room!
What do I love about the J Dub? The shower in the rooms - two heads - so decadent, and let's face it - a lovely way to start your day! The gym is great - not huge but I've never had to wait for the machine I want in three years... The service - I'm not sure if it's a midwestern thing, or unique to Grand Rapids, but I always feel welcome when I come here.... great service that is personable, not obsequious...it just makes me happy.
I often eat at their restaurant because I'm too lazy to venture out, and love their mussels and spicy tuna roll... the steak is pretty fab too, as are many selections on their ever-changing menu...
If you are visiting Grand Rapids and want a friendly, hip place to stay in the heart of downtown - you can't do better!
Enjoy!

Room Tip: ask for one overlooking the river - you will have an amazing view for miles!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
JWMarriott-GRapids, Manager at JW Marriott Grand Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2011

Dear Niquaa,

Thank you for that great review. It is always refreshing to hear compliments about not only the hotel but the service that we provide. You brought up a great point about our restaurant. Our menu items are locally grown and fresh. The menu changes four times a year depending on what is in season in Michigan.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you back soon!!

At Your Service,

C. Maguire

Reviewed November 14, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for a weekend getaway with our kids ages 6, 3 & 1. The rooms were nice and comfortable. The beds were great. The bathrooms were big. We ordered room service for breakfast and that was good as well. The pool was freezing cold but still nice. Our kids found our 13th floor view to be great. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank traveln5
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I travel for business quite a bit and this is my favorite hotel to stay at in the Grand Rapids area. It's very clean, the rooms are nice and the staff is friendly and helpful. I stayed on the concierge level and it was very quiet. Breakfast was great too and included lots of fresh fruit, hot dishes and fancier fare.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Brandi K
Reviewed November 8, 2011

This is a great hotel with very comfortable rooms. First time here but easy to walk to restaurants and other areas in town. Nice bar area and large conference facilities.

• Stayed: November 2011