“MUCH better than I remember” 4 of 5 bubbles

John Ball Zoo
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“MUCH better than I remember”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

I have to begin this review with a disclaimer- I have been to JB multiple times as a child, so my recent visit may be a bit biased as they have made many improvements.

I visited the zoo as part of a birthday party. I was there as a babysitter for one child. We were able to explore the zoo afterwards. It was a very busy day and the setup keeps people moving, which is critical with a small, fast moving child. They have new interactive exhibits- we fed the budgies. While this appeared well organized, they are birds that poop- understandable, but there are no paper towels or ways to clean yourself off should they poop on you- not so understandable. There are more things for children to do than when I was a child. The petting zoo is clean and not overwhelming.

The zoo is not huge and does not boast a ton of rare animals (the chimps are pretty cool though), however, it makes it easy for a young child to see most of the zoo without getting too tired or overwhelmed. It is a very family friendly atmosphere. Also, the birthday party I attended was a nice setup, with face painting and visits from two animals (which were a chicken and a chinchilla, which might be interesting for a child who lives in the city but are common animals to me).

Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Love our little zoo!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Small enough so you aren't walking for hours on end but with a ton of exhibits. I love our little zoo and always recommend it to friends or family when they are visiting.

Visited September 2012
Douglas, Michigan
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“The Little Zoo That Might”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Basically a local city zoo. They have ambitious plans and keep improving the place. I can think of worse ways to spend an afternoon. Best for little kids.

Grand Rapids, MI
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Come see the additions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

What a neat place to visit with the grandkids. They have enjoyed this since they were so young and love going now to see all the new exhibits. It just keeps getting better and better.

Ionia, Michigan, United States
3 attraction reviews
“awesome environment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

we love it here cant say enough, we can spend the day here easily great care for animals, park is always clean in guest viewing areas, mployess are great in providing info about animals, as well as just beinng considrate and helpful. recommnd to everyone!!!!