“Another example of Hampton consistency (good stay)”

Hampton Inn & Suites Grand Rapids Airport / 28th St
Ranked #11 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Ottawa, Canada
“Another example of Hampton consistency (good stay)”
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Needed one of the (many!) hotels on 28th Street due to proximity to my work and the airport; I chose the Hampton as I'm normally a satisfied customer with this chain. The one drawback is this place is REALLY hard to find ... you kind of have to drive in behind the Target parking lot to get to it. Wish I had known that before! However, once there it was a clean, comfortable and pleasant stay - consistent with all my other Hampton stays. I did not have a chance to eat breakfast, but I did appreciate the availability of coffee and tea in the lobby. My King room was clean and functional, and the internet was quick and frustration-free. I had a pleasant sleep, and now that I know how to find this place, I will stay there again during my next business trip to Grand Rapids. 28th Street is full of a number of restaurants (mostly chain) and stores (including a fairly large mall) so it is a very convenient location when at that end of town.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Reviewed December 26, 2011

I had an early morning flight so moved from a downtown location to the Hampton after returning a rental car at the airport. Hamptons, in my experience, are a mixed bag, but this location was either relatively new or recently updated. Very comfortable bed with crisp white linens, marble vanity top in the bathroom, flat screen TV, super clean, friendly staff. The airport shuttle runs every 30 minutes or on request. The price was a little high ($149) considering I spent $199 for the JW Marriott downtown the previous night, but it was definitely a good stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank SixthSister
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed November 13, 2011

I stayed at the Hampton Inn Grand Rapids for almost two weeks in October, 11. Hospitality, hygiene and courtesy levels were excellent . Like any other Hilton/ Hampton property, I would love to go back to them again where ever I travel.

Vish

Room Tip: Higher floors have less impact of the street lights coming into the room.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Charlevoix, Michigan
Reviewed September 22, 2011

My family and I stay here during our visits to Grand Rapids. The hotel is always clean and the staff is always very nice. We especially welcome the warm smile of the breakfast host Tammie. Richie who drives the van to the airport for visiors does an excellent job. Stay here with the utmost confidence.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Columbia SC
Reviewed September 21, 2011

I stayed here in my second visit to Grand Rapids, and I was so pleased with this Hampton Inn property that I'm staying there again on my next trip next month.

My room was exceptionally clean and pretty stylish for a Hampton. My king suite had a wet bar area that included a refrigerator and extensive counter space (and the counter appeared to be made of granite). The shower/toilet were in a separate room, and the bathroom counter/sink were in the main room, adjacent to the bed area. I also had a sofa, coffee table, and a desk. Towels and bedding were fairly new and spotless. I didn't eat the breakfast or any other food there, so I can't comment on that. Parking was plentiful the first night I was there, but it was tougher to find a spot the next night (but I did find one, after some cruising around the lot).

Personally, I like the location behind the Target, close to a few convenient places to grab food and drink (including a Starbucks and a good pasta-based casual restaurant -- its name escapes me). The hotel is an easy drive (about 5-10 minutes) from the airport. The property has a pond next to it, and I liked watching the ducks swim and frolic a little from my room window. I visited the Target to get a few bottles of sparkling water for my room's refrigerator -- convenient!

On my first visit to Grand Rapids, I stayed at the JW Marriott. It was a fantastic property that is certainly worth the price tag. But for a quick trip in and out of the city, someplace like the Hampton Inn is a great value. No paying for parking, internet, bellman tips, valet tips, etc.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I experienced the typically great HI hospitality. I arrived late and road-weary, but the evening mgr answered my many question patiently and with a smile and genuine warmth. I told her I was in race the next morning and asked if I could have a late checkout. She readily gave me a 2pm checkout to allow ample time to return from the race and take a leisurely shower. The overnight manager ensure fresh coffee (caffeinated) was prepared around 4am, seemingly because that's when I was awakening. Really, they treated me like royalty. That said, there were some disappointments. One, although it is a non-smoking hotel, they allow smokers to congregate around the exit/entrance doors (at least the side doors anyway). I used those doors frequently during my stay and always had to pass through a wall of smoke. Second, was the signage on 28th St. It was smaller than what a realtor might plant in the ground for a nearby open house. My Garmin even said it was on the left as I slowed to find it on 28th St. In reality, it was about a half mile off 28th St behind some big box stores and on the other side of a very tall berm lined with trees. They need larger signage at this HI with directions to the hotel off 28th St.

Room Tip: Walls were a little thin. If possible, get a room between two vacant rooms.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
gibbsama, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Grand Rapids Airport / 28th St, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
I'm so glad you took the time to leave feedback about our hotel. I am also pleased to hear that you were treated so wonderfully while you were a guest with us. I am however sorry you had issues with some of the other guests smoking so close to the doorways and that you had trouble finding us. The sign issue is something we struggle with constantly, but the city won't allow us to have a bigger sign due to limits it has put on signage on 28th st. That being said, I am still sorry you had trouble finding us, but I hope it was worth the search :) I also hope you will stay with us again in the future.

We Love Having You Here!

Amanda
Petoskey, Michigan
Reviewed August 12, 2011

First of all, this is NOT on 28th Street. It is tucked away behind a Bob Evans and to the side of a Target Parking lot OFF 28th Street. Finding it in the dark was the first obstacle. The next challenge was parking and finding the room. The desk clerk told us to park in the back of the hotel and go to our room on the second floor. He neglected to explain that the elevators are all in the FRONT of the hotel. So, we park in the back and walk all the way back to the reception area to go up to floor two. Next is the room itself. The sheets and bedding are so old that if either one of us turned at night the mattress pad pulled off the bed. By morning we were in a twisted mass of bedding. Also, the smoke detector batteries were apparently worn out and an eerie green light blinked all night right next to the bed. The towels were threadbare as well. We usually love Hampton Inns, but this one is off the list. The only saving grace was getting out of there and to the Bob Evans before an early flight.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dre51
gibbsama, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Grand Rapids Airport / 28th St, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
I received your comments this morning and I wanted to say that I am deeply sorry that you were so disappointed with your stay here. I'm very sorry you had trouble finding our location. We are constantly working on a solution for our lack of signage, but unfortunately at this time the city won't allow us to have a sign on the main road. We, however, could have done more to make you aware of the situation prior to your arrival.

I will be addressing the issue you had with the staff member with all of my front desk staff. They are expected to be more clear with everyone regarding room locations, elevator loactions, etc... It must have been very frustrating to park all the way toward the back of the hotel only to realize you needed to walk back to the other end to use the elevator.

I have brought your issues regarding the linen to our executive housekeeper's attention. Worn out bedding and towels should be disgarded and not used in guest rooms.

The issue you had with the smoke detector is unfortunately not something we are able to fix at this time. They all blink green when they are working properly. It blinks green when it is monitoring the air. I agree with you that it is especially annoying when you are trying to sleep and even more so when you happen to be in a room where the placement of the smoke detector is over or near the bed in your line of vision. We will continue to forward these comments on so perhaps in the future we might think about having those replaced.

I'm again very sorry you were so disappointed and I would love if you would stay with us again the next time you are in town. We would all love the opportunity to show you what we really have to offer.

Amanda