“clean, comfortable, cozy”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East
Ranked #1 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed November 3, 2010

stayed here one night and everything was well maintained, clean and welcoming-breakfast area was large and well-stocked-over all very positive experience

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
CX_GAMI, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2011

Dear rosemary60,

Thank you for choosing to stay with our hotel. It means a lot of us that you would write a review on TripAdvisor expressing your opinion of our hotel. If you come into town again look us up! We would love to have you stay with us again. If you have a facebook account, you can become our friend with just a couple clicks. We would love to fill you in on local activities that you may want to come into town for.

Ian Kirkwood
Front Desk Manager
Country Inn & Suites East
3251 Deposit Drive
Grand Rapids, MI 49546

Reviewed November 2, 2010

Though my wife and I put great stock in TripAdvisor reviews as we travel throughout the country, we are often wary of places that seem too perfect like the Country Inn and Suites East in Grand Rapids with its overwhelming number of 5 or 4-plus ratings. Still, looking for a hotel that would be closer to our family than the many that are clustered along 28th Street, miles to the south, we decided that we probably could not go wrong giving the CIS a try. What a great decision! The Country Inn and Suites is everything that previous writers have noted and then some. Anyone with a need to be the eastern sections of Grand Rapids, indeed, anyone just passing through on the adjacent I-96 freeway on his or her way to Detroit, would be foolish to look elsewhere.

The CIS East may not be perfect for what, today, passes as mid-priced accommodations, but it comes close. The hotel is conveniently located, welcoming, and pleasant inside and out. The staff is overwhelmingly friendly, the rooms comfortable, the complimentary breakfast filling. The beds are excellent, there were extra pillows in the room (something we always request) and the front desk staff was very solicitous to please even to the point of calling our room once we'd checked in to make sure we were comfortable and all our needs fulfilled. We were especially pleased by the bathroom with its large counter and superb lighting and the modestly large flat-screen television was a nice bonus.

We wouldn't be truthful, however, if we suggested that there was nothing that needed tweaking. Regular rooms do not have a mini-refrigerator or a microwave in them; they should. While the breakfast each morning was good, offering as it did a diverse selection of both hot and cold foods, it would have been far nicer had the eggs, for instance, been "real" instead of the pre-packaged egg patties that too many motels seem to have adopted of late. The selection of teas and coffee was good but could have been better. Hot chocolate, especially late in the evening in conjunction with the hotel's freshly baked cookies, would have been a nice treat as well.

There are certainly cheaper motel-hotels in the Grand Rapids area than the CIS East but few if any that excel in as many ways as it does. Because of family, we come to Grand Rapids often and when we do, we know where we'll stay from now on.

Dear BigP,

Thank you for writing such a great review for our hotel on Trip Advisor! I means a lot to us that you would give you honest opinion of our hotel. Thank you for choosing us for your stay while in Grand Rapids. It means a lot to us that you would pick our hotel over any others in Grand Rapids. Our rates are a little bit higher than other select service hotels in Grand Rapids. One of the main reasons that we are a little bit more is that offer such a large breakfast with multiple hot dishes and cold options. We try to accommodate all guests’ feedback into our hotel. I have notified our breakfast attendants of your comments about fresh eggs. Fresh eggs each morning with our breakfast would be a great piece to add to our breakfast line up. Our breakfast attendants have a great time coming up with new ideas for our breakfast in the morning. If you have any suggestions for them I would love to pass them a long!

You are correct that we do not have refrigerators available in each guest room. However, we do have a suite upgrade option where guests can upgrade to a studio king suite for just an extra $10 and it provides a larger room, refrigerator and microwave and much more! We also have one bedroom king suites available for $20. These rooms are my favorite because they include what the studio suite has, but also an extra television and a solid door between the living room and the bedroom. Once again, thank you so much for your comments BigP! We’re happy to have you stay with us. Come back again soon! We would love to have you stay with us again.

Ian Kirkwood
Country Inn & Suites East
3251 Deposit Drive
Grand Rapids, MI 49546
1-616-942-7000

Reviewed October 19, 2010

I always use Trip Advisor when booking hotels but this is my first time writing a review. After returning from a wonderful night at this hotel I wanted to share my experience.
We booked the movie and dinner package to celebrate our 28th anniversary. When we arrived at the hotel we found we had been upgraded to a king suite at no charge. Fresh cookies at the reception desk was a nice touch. The room was very spacious and absolutely spotless. The sitting area had a couch and chair , a large TV, fridge and microwave. Dinner was at Bostons, great pizza and salads and the 25 dollar credit was more than sufficient for 2. The 20 dollar credit for the show also was enough for beverages since we went to an early movie. The bed was so comfortable as were the pillows, I can't remember ever sleeping so well in a hotel. The blackout drapes provided complete darkness in the room. The breakfast in the morning was very good and plentiful, eggs, sausage, biscuits, gravy, bagels, cereal, fresh fruit, pastries and waffles. Checkout time is noon which I loved I always find 11 is rushed. All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful with all our questions. The hotel was very easy to find and in a nice upscale area, we felt very safe the whole time. We travel quite often and have to say this property far exceeded our expectations on all accounts. I am already looking forward to a return visit.

2  Thank ontariorose48
Reviewed October 18, 2010

We stayed at the Comfort Inn and Suites this past weekend for the Grand Rapids Martahon that my husband participated in. We arrived on Saturday night and we assured upon our arrival of a late checkout of 2. This would allow my husband to take a shower after the race. When we arrived all 3 of our keys did not work. My poor limping husband had to wait while my dad and I (6 months pregnant) tromped downstairs to get another key. Of course, when we complained about this they response was "I have not idea who would have told you a 2 o'clock checkout. We NEVER do that!" I was livid. We arrived at 1:20 and spent 10-15 of those precious minutes dealing with non-working keys. If you are not supporting the marathon don't claim that you are. I would never stay here again, Unecessary stress on both me and my husband. And RUDE on top it all. Yuk.

2  Thank BUNNY0406
CX_GAMI, Guest Relations Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2010

I apologize for your issues with the your stay in Grand Rapids during the Marathon Weekend. However, according to the name of the hotel you listed on your review you did not stay with us. We were not the host hotel for the event, however, we still had some marathon runners stay with us. Each runner was given an extended check-out compliments of the management, and on the day of the race we even opened our breakfast early for our runners to get some food if they wanted. We would however, love to have you stay with us next year during the Grand Rapids Marathon weekend so we can show you why our hotel is #1 in Grand Rapid with guest satisfaction and our numerous postive reviews we have received.

Reviewed September 6, 2010

We came to Grand Rapids to visit friends. This hotel was nearby and very comfortable. We had a couch and a king sized bed in our room. It was the best nights sleep we had in our trip to Michigan.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bwilson648
Reviewed September 1, 2010

This hotel is awesome in all categories!

I travel quite a bit and all the staff here, not just a few, are fantastic. They will go out of their way to assist you and are simply friendly and pleasant.

The rooms are modern, clean and up to date. There was no issues with wifi so it was easy to work in my room.

I'm not a big breakfast eater but the spread this hotel puts out is outstanding and even tempts me. It isn't a tray of muffins but a full hot breakfast with eggs, sides, freshly made waffles, yogurt parfaits, oatmeal...you get the idea.

All in all a great hotel and a great value.

I would

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank KfromBoston
Reviewed August 23, 2010

This was an all round great hotel but the things I loved the most were...

* Good sized suites, really clean!

* Friendly staff who go out of their way to help. All were great but in particular Kaylee was EXCELLENT

* Complimentary freshly baked cookies on reception

* Coin operated guest laundry (really useful when you're packing light!) - $1.50 per load to wash/dry and 75c for Tide/Bounce

* Really convenient for the Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park (but don't make the mistake of thinking you can walk there just because it looks close on the map...it may only be a short 20 minute walk but the USA was made for cars, not pedestrians!!!)

Some tips:

* Taxi to downtown GR is approx. $13 plus tip
* There is a Malarkey's across the car park within walking distance which looked like a sports bar type restaurant
* You can get takeout (pizza, pasta, burgers etc.) delivered to the hotel from Boston's, another local restaurant
* Breakfast downstairs is free - sausage, bacon, muffins, toast, waffles, juices, coffee, yoghurt, cereals etc. plenty of choice

I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business