“Our new favorite hotel and chain!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East
Ranked #1 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Birmingham, Michigan
“Our new favorite hotel and chain!”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

We booked a room for a holiday weekend at the last minute, having never stayed at a Country Inn & Suites before. Now we think this is our favorite chain for family trips.

We upgraded to a suite -- living room with desk and TV, bedroom with two queen beds and another TV -- and that turned out to be a great choice. I had work to finish late at night, and I was able to get that done without disturbing the rest of the family. The wi-fi connection was good and fast, too.

Everything was immaculately clean. The beds were exceptionally comfortable and plush, equivalent to beds at much pricier hotels. We were in the middle of the hotel, near the elevators, and we never noticed any noise from the halls or other rooms.

The hotel is a five-minute drive from the Frederik Meijer sculpture gardens (which you absolutely should visit -- our 12-year-old, who hadn't wanted to go, said it was her favorite part of the trip). Many dining options are just a few minutes' drive further north. The front desk staff steered us to some good choices.

We loved the breakfast buffet. Juices, fruit, a variety of breads, eggs, sausage, cereals, biscuits and gravy, French toast -- you get the idea. If it's on a breakfast menu somewhere, it's probably on the buffet. A word on the coffee: Hotel coffee is usually not that great, but this was. Even better: The coffee is available fresh in urns in the lobby all day, along with chocolate chip cookies.

The staff was friendly, courteous and knowledgeable. The pool and exercise room were clean and well-kept. There's even a small arcade with pinball machines.

I chose the hotel based on the other raves on this site, and I can now say they weren't wrong. Great experience and a very reasonable price.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Marta S
CX_GAMI, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Marta S,

When we read comments like these it fills our hearts with pride! Everything you mentioned, I will be sure to pass on to my other employees, especially our breakfast staff who will be so happy you enjoyed their cooking. Please come and visit us again next time your in town, and we appreciate the recommendations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Barry County, Michigan
Reviewed July 10, 2014

A bit nicer than the norm of chain hotels of this price-range. Excellent on-site breakfast. Nice amenities. Very nice indoor pool, spa, and workout room. Courteous staff. Only negative observation is the air-conditioning unit has an incredibly noisy fan. I do not believe that it was a maintenance issue, but rather the design. Would recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Jonathan R,

Thank you for your comments about our hotel! We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay here. I have had maintenance upgrade our air conditioning systems in the rooms since your last stay. Please come and visit us next time your in Grand Rapids.
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night in a doble gueen room. The room was comfortable and clean, but you can tell it is getting old. This is especially apparent in the bathroom.

We enjoyed the pool and appreciated the laundry and complimentary coffee in the lobby. We liked breakfast, but missed more healthy choices like fruits etc.

The hotel is right off the highway, and a bit from downtown. There is nothing really close by. Ok for a night or two, but I would look for something in town if I was staying longer.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Clara H,

We apologize if you felt the room was getting old. Our hotel is only 7 years old and it is very important to us to keep and clean and tidy hotel. It is true there isn't anything in walking distance to do from our location, but in September/ October we will have a new restaurant opening right next door. Hope you stay with us again!
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

I highly recommend. I stay here often for work. The rooms are relaxing, clean and comfortable. The receptionists are remarkably polite and courteous. Rates are economical and well worth it. The only downfall with my stay this time is the restaurant in front is closed but will reopen in August.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Adamr,

Thanks for staying with us and we are glad your stay was nice and relaxing. For your information the restaurant in the parking lot of our hotel is slightly delayed and will probably open in late September or early October.
Bay City, Michigan
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I can never thank the staff enough for saving me in the middle of a Michigan Snowstorm.

I had stayed overnight for a morning conference and thoroughly enjoyed the peacefulness of this fine establishment. In the morning, I drove 12 miles to my conference and when it was over a horrible snowstorm slammed down on the entire city. I tried for over an hour to travel home from the West side to the East side of Michigan where I lived, but accidents, traffic and massive amounts of snow prevented my departure! Frustrated, nervous, chilled and tired,....I found my way back to the welcoming arms of the staff at Country Inn and Suites. They were concerned about my traveling and without having a reservation... they found me a room and even gave me the discounted price I had the night before. Shaking and cold, I went to my room and threw on my swimsuit. The pool was so relaxing, as I watched the huge snowflakes hit the windows outside. Inside the calm of the hotel I was able to de-stress and unwind after the chaos I had endured on the roadways.

This hotel is classy and the front staircase picturesque. The breakfast in the morning made you feel you were in a resort enjoying the smell of fresh coffee. There always seemed to be goodies available near the front desk. The ladies at the front desk are wonderful! Thank you for calming my frayed nerves and saving me from the frigid temperatures and defensive driving our Michigan weather decided to throw at me! This hotel is my haven! I SHALL RETURN, but in much nicer climate!

Room Tip: If you're traveling alone like I was, ask for the King size bed.....the bed was heavenly! I mus...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear Kellyp,

We are so glad we could further accommodate you during that unfortunate delay in your travel plans! Your comments about the hotel furnishings and our complimentary breakfast are much appreciate. Come and visit us in the summer some time and I think you will find the weather much more agreeable.
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We took a nice little mini vacation to Grand Rapids and stayed at this hotel. Overall I would say that everything was good. Room. Breakfast buffet had lots of selections and well-attended. Pool was nice - a little larger than the normal hotel pool. Room service was good - room was clean - nothing special but nice. I have only one complaint and that was the wi-fi. It was so slow that I finally took my tablet off wi-fi and used the 4G option.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DenisePatrishkoff
Dear Denisepatrishkoff,

We are glad you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast, rooms and swimming pool! On behalf of all our staff I would like to apologize for the internet being slow during your stay. We have spoke to our Internet tech support staff and that problem should be remedied for any future stays!
Milwaukee
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for our son's college graduation. The front desk staff was very friendly, even alerting us to the fact that the hotel was almost full so the breakfast area might be crowded the next morning. The hotel was full of people, but the staff kept up great. Breakfast was plentiful and well stocked. The rooms were very clean, beds very comfortable. I have come to appreciate the consistency of Country Inn & Suites when traveling!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Mrscold,

We at the Country Inn and Suites Grand Rapids East strive for consistency and good service and your comments show that we successfully did our jobs! We really appreciate your comments and hope to see you back again!