“Pleasantly surprised”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East
Ranked #1 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Even though located between two busy highways, I expected to hear traffic noise but didn't. Unfortunately, the walls between rooms and the hallway were the standard thinness/thickness so I clearly heard kids yelling and running in the halls one night and the crying baby next door. Nonetheless, the room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. I loved having a couch, flatscreen TV, microwave, and mini fridge available. The staff was especially friendly and helpful every time. Check-in and check-out was a breeze. The breakfast area was large with a good variety to choose from. My only complaint was the layout of the coffee area. The table was crammed into a corner and close to tables so getting to and around it and other guests was awkward. Short drive to Meijer and various restaurants. Cost at approx. 134/night was moderate, but I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if I have business in that area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
CX_GAMI, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear dbaron,

Thank you very much for writing a review about our property on Trip Advisor! I'll let our staff read over your nice kind comments. Come back again soon!

There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East

Reviewed April 20, 2013

My overall stay at the hotel was great but what blew me away the most was the breakfast. I had stayed throughout the week and left on the weekend. I just have to rave about how good the service and food was on the weekend! The breakfast staff worked so hard to keep food coming out and to keep everything clean even though it was very busy in the morning. The young blonde girl.. (I don't remember her name, I think it was Adriana) asked me about my day and what my plans were and she made small talk with me which made me feel like an appreciated customer. I will definitely recommend this hotel to anyone I know that is planning on making a trip to Grand Rapids. Also the rooms were clean and the front desk staff were very friendly.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
CX_GAMI, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear Happyreviewer29,

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! Arianna is a really hard worker and I know she will be happy to hear your high praise! I'll let her know of your great feedback!

Reviewed April 19, 2013

We drove in late and tired after a three hour trip through heavy rain. The clerk at the front desk was courteous, cheery and really raised our spirits. He made us feel welcome and at home. Check in was very quick and efficient. We were provided with a number of things to do in the area during our stay.

The room was great! It was larger than normal, nice high ceilings, and very clean. Breakfast was excellent in the morning -no shortage of food or choices.

The location of this hotel is very convenient as it is near the exit of an expressway and a major highway -perfect to get around.

Cost of this room was well worth it, especially in comparison with the hotels downtown. Would definitely recommend it for anyone visiting the Grand Rapids area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank USCanuck

Dear UScanuck,

Thank you so much for your nice review of our property! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I'll let our front desk staff know of your nice kind comments. I know they will be happy to read your review. Come back again soon!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I recently stayed at this property and it was a nice experience. Rooms were clean, breakfast had a huge selection (but wish more healthy options, and no biscuits and gravy -yuck!) Internet was decent and it had a pool, hot tub and fitness center, which we didn't use but looked inviting. Convienient location.
The only thing my group was disappointed about was that our arrival and check in process weren't the greatest. No one was at the desk when we walked in (understandable sometimes if helping other guests) but the man who came to the desk was obivously in the back on the computer playing games or listerning to music (we could hear it from the front) and seemed to jump and fly up front when we called hello. His name tag read manager but don't remember name exactly, Ian or Liam... After checked in, one of my group returned to ask a question about the area and the same man had his head down and was on his personal cell phone. Just a rather unprofessional experience from him.
However, in the middle of the night your desk person Jacob (i think) was great and answered our questions promtly and professionally. Such a great worker should be a daytime shift! Very good with guests.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
CX_GAMI, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Dear Sydney L,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay. I appreciate your comments very much. I will inform our breakfast attendants of your comment about the biscuits and gravy. I will also let our auditor Jacob know of your kind comments. I know he will appreciate your feedback very much.
I also appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns regarding your check in experience. I apologize if I gave the impression that I was using my cell phone at the front desk or playing video games in the back office. Our computer screen is below the front counter surface and I can understand that you could think I may have been looking at a cell phone. Also, many of my management tasks involve duties in the back office. I can assure you that I do not use my cell phone for personal communication nor do I play video games during my work hours. I will look at how I can change our set up so that each and every guest is aware of our efforts to ensure they are our top priority.
Please contact me personally the next time you are planning a visit to Grand Rapids. I will be happy to assist you with your lodging needs. Your feedback and my commitment to address these issues will make your next visit. That is my promise to you.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

The wife and I stayed overnight while in town shopping. First time at this property. Compared to other hotels in this chain it was the nicest property we have stayed at. Wehad a king suite that was very nice, quiet and clean. The breakfast was the best I have had at a motel in a long time. The breakfast hash was great and they had fresh fruit. Will definatly say here next the next timke I am though GR.

Room Tip: We liked the king suite, very quiet and nice
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Dave,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at our property. I'll let our breakfast attendants know of your nice kind comments, Dave! Come back again soon.

Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed overnight before a trip to Frederik Meijer Gardens. The pool was smallish but had tons if loungers and tables. The water temp was perfect for our 4yo, and everything seemed clean. There was a lot of long, curly hair in the water. The hot tub was nice and hot but foamy, which I think might be a water quality issue so we skipped it. Our king suite was on the small side but clean. We always need a kitchenette bc our food allergies make it hard to eat out, and this one was fine. The bad news -- the bed was like sleeping on the ground it was so hard. I like a firm mattress, firmer than almost anybody I know -- but this thing was like a brick. On the opposite end of the scale, the pillows seemed smaller than std size, and soft like a bag of oatmeal. It was not comfortable. The walls are very thin and the rooms situated such that your neighbor's TV is at the head of your bed. Our neighbors were not loud, they were just watching TV quietly. But it was still loud, as was the constant hum from I-96. All in all, it was nothing too awful, just average. Bring a pillow and some earplugs and you'll be fine.

• Stayed: April 2013
CX_GAMI, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear babylizzie,

Thank you very much for your informative feedback of our hotel, Babylizzie. I appreciate your comments very much. I will let our maintenance manager know of your comments on the pool & whirlpool. Unfortunately, we do not have kitchenettes in any of our rooms. We recently installed microwaves & refrigerators in all our standard rooms to help guests store items throughout their stay. I'm happy to hear you were in town to visit the Frederik Meijer Gardens! If you're coming into town again soon, we certainly offer a package deal that includes two tickets to the Meijer Gardens. We can usually get a free suite upgrade in there for you as well. The king suite that you stayed in might have been a bit small according to your comments, but we do have a larger suite if you're interested. Our largest room is a one bedroom two queen suite. It has two queen beds & a sofa sleeper that pulls out into a full bed. From your comments you made in the review I understand your child has food allergies, if you're ever wondering which items would be safe for your child please don't hesitate to ask the breakfast attendants in the morning. They would be happy to assist you!

Babylizzie, thank you very much for your review of our hotel. If you have any questions or concerns please email me. I noticed your comments on the bed being firm. If you have a moment, please message me what room and date of stay so I can let our housekeeping manager know, or you can call the hotel directly. I would be more than happy to speak with you! We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed here just on an overnight trip. It was very easy to find coming off 94 going east. Hotel was what you would expect for one in this price range - clean room, bed was good, bathroom facility worked well, AC/heat worked well. Breakfast was OK. Hotel is very clean. Staff is REALLY nice. All in all this was one that would be worth going back to. Fredrick Meijer sculpture gardens are right down the street to the north.

Room Tip: elevator is in the center of this hotel - parking is all around.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Hugh,

Thank you very much for your great feedback, Hugh! I appreciate your comments very much. Being close to Frederik Meijer Gardens certainly is a huge selling point. Next time you're in town, book our Local Attractions package. It includes two tickets to FMG. Artprize is a great time to visit because you can look over the art pieces and the park for the same price! Come back again soon, Hugh!