“Read all about it...”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East
Ranked #1 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed August 1, 2011

My husband and I stayed here 2 nights for a wedding. This Country Inn & Suites was situated between the wedding venue and Meijer Gardens, where the reception was being held, so rooms were reserved by the bride for wedding guests. We were given a "wedding rate" of $99, but we could have done almost as well with our AAA discount. We felt that this was pretty pricey considering the CI&S on 28th St. offered rooms for just $68. We weren't sure why the prices varied so much, but not being familiar with the area and wanting to stay with the other wedding guests we chose this hotel.
Check-in went smoothly in late afternoon. There were a variety of cookies and coffee available. We were on the 3rd floor. The hotel was quite full, but throughout our entire visit we never had to wait for an elevator, it never stopped on another floor, felt smooth and quick and only one time was there even another family riding with us.
Our room had a king bed, sofa, desk, desk chair, extra table-style chair, dresser and night stands. There is a large flat screen TV and plenty of channels. (Didn't notice a DVD player) The bathroom had a wall-to-wall granite top with one sink, complimentary toiletries, a hair dryer and plenty of towels. Pillows were plentiful too, but squishy feathers. (I wish I had brought my own) My dad, who was in a different room said he stacked his flat pillows. There is a full-size ironing board and iron in a small closet with a few hangers. Our room did not have a fridge and microwave, but my brother stayed in a "suite" which had a separate bedroom and sitting area and his did have them. (more $$) The bed was really comfortable; clean white sheets and a fluffy "down" coverlet. (Not sure what it was filled with) These rooms are equipped with updated wall-controlled thermostats, which make setting the temperature a breeze. The room stayed nice and cool, even with the 90 temps outside! Unfortunately, one of my two complaints about this hotel is the NOISY, and I do mean NOISY A/C/Heating Unit under the window. Due to the excessive heat outside, it cycled on and off a lot and each time it sounded like a helicopter taking off. Maybe not THAT bad, but it was really annoying. Let's get these two complaints over with now... the other one also has to do with noise. The doors are big and heavy and are really loud when anyone at your end of the hallway goes in and out of their room. When the hotel is full, this can be many times throughout the night. In addition, for some reason people talking in their normal voices in the hall can be heard in the room, so if children run up and down using their outside voices, it is especially bothersome. (This happened between 12-1am) For some reason the room isn't very sound-proof, so the lawnmowers on Saturday morning at 7am also didn't sit well with us.
BUT, if there's any consolation to being awaken at 7am, it would be to enjoy the fantastic breakfast which is waiting downstairs in the breakfast area. This CI&S is one of the best for breakfast . There are waffles, pastries, cereals, eggs (hard-boiled and scrambled), sausage, on Friday there was a "breakfast hash" and on Saturday, biscuits and sausage gravy. They offer juices, coffee and plain yogurt with all kinds of berries, nuts and other items to mix in the yogurt. The attendants are nice and at the top of their game. Complimentary USA Today's are available, as are several TVs. They have two adjoining breakfast rooms, so there is plenty of seating.
There is a small game room located on the ground level floor (lobby is on the first floor) with just a couple games and an air hockey table, which costs $1.00. There is also a laundry room on ground level. I didn't swim, but the pool and spa looked very nice and only 4-6 people total were in the area both times we peeked in. The fitness area had treadmills and an eliptical machine; I don't remember what else. Housekeeping did a good job. The water pressure was just okay, and a lower floor might be better. Our receipt was stuck in our door the morning of check-out.
We flew into Grand Rapids and did not have a car once at the hotel. The Meijer (which is like super Walmart) was over a 2 mile walk one way (and remember I mentioned it was in the 90's). There are no gas stations or convenience stores surrounding the property. There is one restaurant right next door, Malarky's, which is a restaurant and sport's bar. We ate there with others and it was very nice and very good. They even have booths which seat 10! You can check out the menu online. I had the Italian Grinder (served hot). The French Dip, and the hamburgers looked yummy too and the salads are large! Pricing for each was around $8-$10 and the kid's cheese pizza was only $1.99. Others in our party ate at the Twisted Rooster, which was about a mile from the hotel and said it was just "okay". They sounded quite disappointed.
In summary, aside from the noise issues, we enjoyed our stay at the Deposit Drive Country Inn and Suites, Grand Rapids, MI and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank 5StarDad-3StarBudget
CX_GAMI, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2011

Dear 5StarDad3starbudget,

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. You have by far the most descriptive review of our property. Thank you very much for writing a review on trip advisor about your stay. I appreciate your feedback very much. I'll be sure to let Malarky's know of your comments as well. It certainly was a busy weekend during your stay. Between weddings and baseball teams, we had a full house. In your review I know you pointed out the price difference between our property and the other CIS on 28th street. What I can tell you is that yes, we are the same franchise, but different category levels. The CIS on 28th street is a category 3, and our property is a category 4. Also, the CIS on 28th street is an older property than our own. I can not speak for the CIS rates on 28th street. Being the same franchise, we share benefits like being a Club Carlson member, but different owners for each property. Once again, I appreciate your nice kind words about our staff and property. Your review of our hotel is a great piece that really states our amenities and structure. It means a lot to me that you took the time to write such a lengthy review of our property. Come back again soon! ArtPrize is coming up very quickly in September and it is going to be a great month in Grand Rapids.

There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East

Reviewed July 31, 2011

Impressed from the moment we walked in the door. Very welcoming lobby and staff. Got right to our room which was very clean and comfortable.
Was in Grand Rapids for a wedding/reception and all the wedding party and wedding guests stayed there. Everyone was very happy with the accommodations. Surely to return the next time I'm in Grand Rapids.

Room Tip: King Suite was very nice!!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
CX_GAMI, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2011

Dear Traveler23412,

Thank you very much for your kind words about our property and staff. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Come back again soon! Grand Rapids is a great location for lots of activities. Call us and personally make a reservation at our front desk.

1-616-942-7000

Reviewed July 30, 2011

Hotel was nice - seemed new. Room was spacious and liked suite with sofabed for kis. Staff was exceptionally helpful and responsive to our requests. Son loved the pool, it was very nice. Only complaint was breakfast eggs, way too soupy! Breakfast staff also seemed to have trouble keeping items stocked to keep up with demand (i.e. silverware, etc.). This probably had something to do with fact that hotel was completely full and overrun with families whose kids were competing in a state little league baseball tournament. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
CX_GAMI, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2011

Dear Rsolomonic,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor about our property. Thank you for your nice kind comments about our staff; it is good to hear you enjoyed your stay. I appreciate your feedback very much. It certainly was a busy morning for the breakfast crew. We had a couple teams in house and as ever, children can eat alot! I apologize for the hiccups during breakfast. Come back again soon! ArtPrize in September is right around the corner and it is a great time to visit. You can visit their website here: http://www.artprize.org/

If you come into town again, ask about our Frederik Meijer Garden package. It was great meeting you during stay. I look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed July 27, 2011

The room was clean and comfortable. The staff was kind and helpful. No major complaints, except I thought the price was a little high for the location.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2011

I usually stay in another hotel in Grand Rapids, but I was visiting for a conference, and the hosting company has a corporate rate at this one, so I moved over.

Good things:
Excellent friendly & helpful staff.
Clean rooms with comfortable furniture.
Excellent bed.
Free internet with the option to be wired in, or wireless.
A nice breakfast selection each day, and somewhere pleasant to sit and eat it in.
Tea & cookies at the front desk was a nice touch.

Less good things:
Actually it's hard to think of any major negatives at all. If I'm stretching for a couple then:
The room info folder said there was info on running routes, which wasn't the case when I went and asked about it. Although the helpful chap on the desk (see 'good things', above!) after saying he didn't know of any information, did print me off a map of a place I could drive to locally.
I left something behind in the room when I checked out, and it unfortunately has been lost. Nothing precious or valuable, just a bit of an annoyance.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
CX_GAMI, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2011

Thank you for writing a review about our hotel Anne-Oxfordshire. I'm happy to hear you had a positive stay with us. I appreciate your feedback very much. As you know, communication is a big part of operating a business. Thank you for your comments about the running trails. I will notify our housekeeping manager of getting those in our guest folders. We do have running trail maps available at the desk, that the front desk clerk would be more than willing to print off. I'll be sure to make sure each of our representatives is up to date on where to find them on our computers. If you would like to have the items lost during your stay please call me directly and I will notify my housekeeping manager. My number is below.

Once again, thank you very much for your nice kind words. It means a lot to our staff members that you took the time to write a review. We look forward to seeing you again soon! ArtPrize is right around the corner!

1-616-942-7000

Reviewed July 13, 2011

I stayed in the hotel for 3 days. I enjoyed the complimentary breakfast every morning. It was well stocked with fresh fruit, bagels & muffins as well as hot food. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable...I slept well.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
CX_GAMI, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel! Its great to hear you enjoyed our breakfast each of the three days you stayed with us. Our breakfast attendants certainly do a great job! I'll be sure to show them your review! They will appreciate it very much. Come back again soon! Artprize is right around the corner.

Reviewed July 11, 2011

We stayed here for two nights on our way to Indiana. The hotel was clean and pretty quiet. Breakfast was good and was served on real plates with real cutlery, no styrofoam. Restaurants and shopping are all only a few minutes drive away. The pool was nice but in the basement so no natural light. The hotel is only 4 years old so everything was nice and new. The location felt safe and was still close enough to all amenities.

• Stayed: July 2011

Thank you for your nice kind words; its good to hear you enjoyed your stay. It means a lot to our staff that you took the time to write a review about our hotel. Natural light can be a little difficult down in the lower landing, thankfully we do have extra windows to let in light in the pool area to brighten up the area. Having our amenity items & meeting space on the lower landing away from the guest rooms is a great way to cut down on noises, but I do understand the lighting issue. The only window in the hallway is down at the opposite end of the building. I appreciate your feedback very much. We look forward to seeing you again soon. ArtPrize is just around the corner! It is a great time to visit Grand Rapids.