“Going Downhill Quickly”

SpringHill Suites Grand Rapids Airport Southeast
Ranked #22 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed September 19, 2011

My wife stayed at this hotel about 18 months ago and had a great time, so we decided to stay here to use a free night we had and take in some local sights. The hotel was fairly new 18 months ago, but looks somewhat run down now. We had problems with the pool being cold, our shower leaking and noisy motorcycles constantly coming and going. The food was decent and the staff relatively friendly, but I can't say that we would ever stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed August 11, 2011

I booked a meeting through Marriott corporate for this hotel in June. Meeting room was lovely. Every thing went very well.
However, as a Gold Rewards member I watch points and nights closely. Took two phone calls, two emails and a return special visit, along with three complaints to Marriott corporate to get my points and nights...two months later.
Is this a symptom of a serious customer relations problem?
I'll have our company meetings at another Marriott property.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed June 2, 2011

We just spent two nights here (the hubby, our 3-year old and myself) to attend a graduation. I picked this property because of the rate, and it exceeded my expectations!

First, let's just get this out of the way. It's tricky to find the first time you arrive. You'll read that in other reviews, and it's true. It's behind the Target, okay? And when you get back to it, you'll be thrilled--there's a lovely water setting behind the hotel (we saw swans, geese, ducks and a turtle) and a water preservation area across from the hotel entrance (nothing to look at but a big hill...but the kiddo and I hiked up the hill, and it was beautiful--full of animals).

The "suites" are more like a bedroom and a living room slightly separated by a wall, and unfortunately, there's just one t.v. to service both areas. This is the typical SHS set up, so it didn't come as a surprise to us, but you should know this going in.

This was the first SHS I've been to with an actual bar, something I would have taken advantage of if we'd been traveling without our child.

The pool was an appropriate temperature, and the hot tub was extremely hot. The lobby offers plenty of seating, and there's a computer with printer for business needs. The breakfast offered turkey sausage, eggs, make-your-own waffles, plenty of sweet roll choices, cereal and milk. The oatmeal was delicious--not instant!

Most importantly, the staff was great. Everyone we encountered was friendly and service was prompt. We would definitely stay here again. 28th Street is an easy drive to all Grand Rapids offerings, and there are plenty of restaurants and stores right on the strip.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank travelingtab
Reviewed May 23, 2011

This is the M-F business, S-S softball tournament hotel. The rooms were great, fresh, new, and comfortable. Free wireless internet, which I loved. The staff was very friendly. We stayed 4 nights, which is probably unusual for them. Everyone knew who we were after a couple days, and were greeting us by name. Felt a little like a B&B.

The breakfast each day was pretty good.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2011

Once you get to SpringHill Suites by Marriott Grand Rapids Airport/Southeast you'll find that it is a good place to stay, especially if you are traveling on business and need to be near the airport. It is close to the main east-west road into town and an Interstate exit is very close. The problem is finding the place.
You have to drive through an array of restaurant entrances and a shopping mall parking lot, before turning off onto a little side street by a pond into what seems like nowhere. This little road eventually winds its way past the back of a huge Target store and you see an entrance to two hotels, the SpringHill Suites and a different one owned by Hilton. When you know how to get there, the hotel is fine, the staff is okay, and the rooms are clean.
One problem I had in my room was that the toilet was clogged and would not flush when I arrived. Other than that, I'd say this is a reasonable place to stay in Grand Rapids.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 26, 2011

Stayed here for one night as my son was in a concert at the DeVos Center. 15 min drive to downtown. Very clean (my number one requirement). Hotel accomodated our needs by placing us in a handicapped accessible room (as one of us had a broken ankle), and gave my mother an adjoining room, which made it nice to be nearby. My only complaint is that the poor desk clerk also had to double as the bartender, and on a Friday night, closing the bar at 10pm is a little early. Other than that it was a good value.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 18, 2010

I travel a lot for my job and stay in a lot of places, the newly renovated SpringHill Suites by the airport is one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in. The room was comfortable, the bed was as comfortable as my bed at home and the down pillows I had in my room gave me a great nights sleep. The high speed internet works great and each room has a flat screen TV in it. I do wish they had more than 36 channels, and the travel channel was not on their lineup, but I was able to find something while doing my work.
There is a nice breakfast area where they serve a complimentary hot breakfast, and at night there is a bar for happy hour.
I only stayed here because my normal hotel was booked, I think I will make this my normal hotel now in Grand Rapids.
Nice place at a nice price...very impressive.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business