“Not what it used to be:(”
Review of Louis Benton Steakhouse - CLOSED

Louis Benton Steakhouse
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Ionia Avenue
Description: Welcome to Louis Benton Steakhouse and LB's Lounge. We are a classic American steakhouse with a heavy Chicago influence. Come enjoy an exciting and comfortable atmosphere, where big steaks are served, and bold wines are poured. Feel free to loosen your tie, and be yourself while enjoying a world class experience delivered by our warm and friendly service professionals. As one of the only Blues venues in Grand Rapids, we offer a relaxing setting to come and let loose. Reminiscent of the great clubs of the Windy City, we are proud to feature some of Michigan's top blues artists. Inspired by blues guitar legends such as BB King, Muddy Waters, and Buddy guy, our ambiance will take you back to when the simpler things were appreciated. When life gets hectic, it's nice to know there's a place you can come to just breathe, relax, and enjoy life. That's what we do here at Louis Benton Steakhouse and LB's Lounge, we hope to see you soon!
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I have been going to Louis Benton for over 9 years for special occasions such as birthdays and anniversaries. We have always been extremely satisfied with the service and the food. Unfortunately, this year the food was mediocre at best. I know that the restaurant is under new ownership and they have made some changes. They took the best tasting cold spinach dip off the menu and replaced it with a hot spinach dip that you can get at any TGI Friday's or Applebee's. I had the red snapper and it was dry and pretty tasteless except for the spices on the very top which were pretty much just hot not flavorful. My husband had the Roquefurt Steak Pasta, the pasta was bland and there wasn't much sauce on it at all.

Our service started out good but then began to get very slow. Two tables that came in after us received their entree's before us. We ordered our dessert to go and it seemed that the waiter forgot it so we were just going to leave without it after waiting 10 min. One of the hosts chased us down as we were leaving and said the waiter had remembered our dessert and gave it to us.
We had ordered the cheesecake and when we ate it later we found it tasted like cardboard and we ended up throwing it away.

I am a little sad at these negative changes as this was sort of "our special place" and I don't think we will return. This is a higher end restaurant so you expect higher quality service/food.

1  Thank lovintraveling

Reviewed January 9, 2013

We went to Louis Benton for a nice New Years Eve Dinner, it started out ok the water tasted bad so we had to buy bottled and the waitress commented that people had complained about that before. The service was ok until a table that was bigger came and then it was like the waitress and her helper disappeared. We have had dinner at Louis Benton before and have had little problems here and there, but nothing like this. This was our last time to spend that much you really do expect something special.

1  Thank taximom43
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We went with 8:45 reservations by the time we got seated it was 9:30. By the time we got water even 15 minutes had pasted. We just finished and it is going on 11:15 and we didn't even have drinks.

Besides the time the food we pretty good I had the snapper is it was a bit dry not worth the price. The steaks that the others in my party it were good except they messed up the 2 steak orders doneness.

The restaurant is rarer nice atmosphere except it is really dark inside. There is an another area connected and they share a restroom. The area is a club which is really loud and obnoxious when you are trying to have a nice evening out. I'm 24 so I can appreciate music, but there is a time and place.

Also, the staff seemed poorly trained when the waitress came to explain the menu she simply read the menu to us, really awkward.

The manager seemed to be used to this sort of mannerism. I would never recommend this restaurant without a complete turn around in management.

1  Thank R5swank
Reviewed December 16, 2012

My wife and I dined at Louis Benton on Dec 14 and we enjoyed a wonderful evening. We were promptly seated & shortly thereafter welcomed by our server, Kate. Having read other reviews of this restaurant we were a little apprehensive as to what to expect. What we experienced turned out to significantly exceed our expectations! Kate "walked" us through the recently new menu and answered our questions as to the preparation of the steaks. A loaf of very tasty warm bread was served along with our calamari appetizer to start our dinner. We both had the lobster bisque soup which we considered outstanding. My wife had the prime rib and I had the ribeye steak and we ordered a side of the sauted mushrooms. Both entres served hot and medium rare as we had ordered. We both enjoyed the ribeye best, the prime rib wasn't quite as tender or flavourful as the steak (even though still good). Dessert was taken back to our nearby hotel as the dinner was very filling. We thought the atmosphere in the restaurant was very warm & inviting, highlighted by a beautifully decorated Christmas tree for the holiday season. We had alerted our server that we weren't in a hurry & she perfectly timed serving the various courses. Kate's personality & friendly service was another highlight. We'll definitely be returning to Louis Benton in the future.

1  Thank JerryHGrandRapids_MI
Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Best New York strip I have ever had. I am not a fan of ny strip but have it a chance and it was fantastic! Great potatoes too. The iceberg lettuce wedge is good salad