“The Death of a Family Dining Icon”
Review of Village Inn Pizza

Village Inn Pizza
Ranked #578 of 966 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We've been going to the Village Inn for years and we are sad to report that the old place is now gone.

Gone is the family friendly atmosphere, a place to take your kids and enjoy their company and FAMILY time.

Some pluses and minuses.

Plus- they have remodeled. It is wonderful how they have opened the place up and made it feel a lot more modern.
Minus- it feels like every square inch is now filled with TV screens. Gone is the family atmosphere in lieu of a sports bar.

Plus- the pizza is still the same- fantastic.
Minus- You can't enjoy it because they have the SPORTS up so loud you can't carry on any kind of a conversation.

When I say it is loud in there I am not kidding. It is obnoxiously loud, you can't talk or hear anyone besides the TVs and the people hooting and hollering because some overpaid sports team just made a shot.

They are trying to get money from travelers and entice them in to this place by telling them to stop in for a drink before their flight.

Well, their drinks are overpriced for bottom shelf CRAP.

The waitress was fine and friendly- until I returned the overpriced drink that was only HALF full.
Then she made herself scarce until we wanted our bill.

All in all I was very sad throughout the whole meal thinking about how this iconic family dining establishment has been transformed into nothing more than an over priced sports bar.

That being said, I am sure they are thriving. But in this family's dining experience, it is a place to avoid like the plague.

The ONLY reason I gave it even two stars was because the food was really good. But it just served as a reminder of all that has been lost in this change.

Good-bye to an old friend. We are truly sad to see you go.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Ok food. Kids taco only with drink for 3.99. Could have got a better taco at Taco Bell for $1.00. The spaghetti dinner was $10 for no salad or side just noodles and sauce. Not good. I would not go back.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I love this place. I used to eat there before they remodeled once in awhile, now I am there once per week, sometimes to sit at the bar and sometimes with the family at a big round table.

The place is full of TV's and really really big screens, they have to be the largest in the city , wood floors, and comfortable seating.

The mix of people are from the 20's to 60 and 70
depends on the night.

We usually go for Thursday nights for half off Martini's and different food each time
they have awesome pizza, had the deep dish and the thinner crust.
I have had their Burgers, Burritos and their Cherry chicken salads, all excellent.

The staff is friendly and willing to please.
The sound is rich and high end , the music is great
but does not blast you out of there
all of these things keep me coming back

Reviewed January 4, 2013

First time here since the remodel. WOW, what a difference. LOTS of big screen TV's. Good food , good prices, good service. May be a new Friday night habit.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Tucked in among the strip malls on 44th east of Kalamazoo is a gem. We had a 22 person party early on a Saturday and these guys nailed it! We had prearranged for our pizza order with Jason the night before, called before arrival and within minutes after everyone's arrival, everything was ready! Amber, our waitress, was EXCELLENT!!! She had everyone's drink orders as they came in, was on top of refills like no one's business! The entire staff was accommodating, gracious, helpful and great to work with. And the pizzas were OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!! The large screen TVs located everywhere (!) kept us all updated on the Olympics but weren't a distraction or so booming loud that you weren't able to sit and talk. I've read that they did a renovation recently and they did a great job by taking everyone's needs and wants into consideration (TV in the restroom? YES!!!!). Thanks guys for making our out-of-town gathering memorable and easy!!