“Cupcakes”

Ranked #138 of 950 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed September 22, 2012

How can you not like a place that gives you a cupcake with your order? Other than that, this is just another local eatry with a loyal following. There are no surprises here - except the piano player in the entrance.

There are newer reviews for Arnie's Bakery Restaurant

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I only got take-out at Arnie's, so I really can't speak to the service. I got a baha fish taco salad to go and it was pretty good. The salad had beans, corn, tortilla strips, and fresh salsa. Everything was really fresh, and the fish was well cooked.

I also got a cupcake to go and it was VERY good. It was fluffy and moist with a good raspberry filling and just the right amount of frosting. The prices for everything were very good ($5 for 4 gourmet cupcakes!). The service provided by the girls in the bakery for the take-out order was good - efficient and everything in the order was correct.

I hope to take some of their products with me when I leave town!

Reviewed September 14, 2012

I'm giving the newly opened Arnie's Restaurant on Leonard St. NW a 4/5 rating because my experience surprised me, based upon what I've read. I went to lunch with my mom and brother, and we were delighted at the decor of the building. They weren't extremely busy, and we had to wait a moment to be seated, but the service wasn't anywhere near as bad as other reviewers have mentioned. I had the pick two for $8.99. I chose the half deli sandwich (which was HUGE), and the half country chicken salad (also ENORMOUS). My mom and brother also were very happy with the food, although the fries could have been a little hotter (still, not bad). The only suggestion that I really have is that they slice their tomatoes for the sandwiches/burgers, not chop them. I can't wait to go back and try something different. Our server was kind, not pushy, and the free cupcake was awesome! Definitely decent quality food and service for the price!

Reviewed September 12, 2012

A decade or more ago, the food here was really great, and the prices were too. The food and prices now, are just good, but not exceptional, as they once were.

This place is still a worthwhile stop, especially if you've never been to Arnie's before. I've never had a bad meal here, and with most meals, you get a "free" cupcake (are they really free, when the prices have risen to where they are?).

Search around online, or in local coupon books, and you may be able to get a good deal... but at the standard menu price, it's a little high for what you get.

It seems like the cakes, in the bakery section, have gotten smaller than I remember getting in the past.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Went back to the newly renovated Arnie's on Leonard. Very nicely decorated. A bit confusing because the front part is a deli and the back a restaurant and we went on a busy Friday night and couldn't figure out why all those tables in front were open. The hostess stand seemed confused and overstaffed.

Was truly disappointed with the French Dip. Was all bun and hardly any meat. I think the bun got bigger and the meat smaller simultaneously. And it was that burnt brown deli meat, not the fresh medium rare real roast meat I grew up on going to Arnie's as a child and teen. The soups were OK, but nothing to brag about. The cupcakes we got to go and were small and uneventful. The whole thing was overpriced, too.

Also, the tables were too close together for the wait staff.

Please bring back the real medium rare roast beef that you used to pile high, Arnie's!

Would only go back to buy some deli bread.