“Dont bother!!!!!”

Holiday Inn Express South
Ranked #23 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed June 24, 2010

OK,so I called to make reservations and was quoted a price so I made my reservations. After our stay was over I went to check out and found I was billed waynover what I was told. The lady working at the front desk was less then helpful! I refused to leave until it was fixed so after she talked to her manager it was taken care of. I called after we arrived home and spoke to the manager and was told the price I was quoted did not include wrist bands for the pool?In the end she apologized and said she would honor that rate at any time if we were to return......So I called last week because we were going to be in town for business once again and I was told that they would not honor the price I was once again quoted but they would some other time?what? If your looking to stay here its not worth anything over 100$ a night!Trust me!And to have to pay to use the waterpark that includes 2 water slides is a rip off!!!!Not to mention they rent it out for parties on weekends and it is so packed you cant even enjoy it!Save yor money and stay at a different hotel!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank lexie44
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express South

Reviewed May 5, 2010

Only received 2 wristbands for waterpark, I had to purchase a third for $10 (which we only spent a hour, because it was so packed). We were on the 4th floor where people where slamming doors and kids screaming in the hallways after 11:30pm. The floor periodically vibrated as though there were an earthquake. I was very disappointed for the price we paid and would not go back.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank ma2lilgal
Reviewed April 15, 2010

This hotel is a nice hotel although i recommend you to NEVER go on spring break, yes i figured it would be busy, but this place you couldn't even find a seat at breakfast, swimming was unsatisfactory, this place is meant for little children, for teenagers and adults...that is a no.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 28, 2010

Found bedbugs in 2nd-floor room! Really nothing else to be said.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank busines3
hiegr, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express South, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2010

The Holiday Inn Express South is a brand name leader in it's market. Please be assured that the hotel takes it's pest control program very seriously!

We utilizes a nationally known pest control company to manage our ongoing monthly maintenance program in all guest rooms and common use areas of the hotel.

While we pro-actively take every precaution necessary to prevent pest issues, we cannot prevent isolated instances where something may unknowingly be brought into the hotel. If this does occur the problem is immediately eliminated.

Reviewed March 28, 2010

After reading all the negative reviews, I was expecting the worse, however I had a great experience. I booked the room using Priority Club's Point Breaks program. Check in was smooth and friendly. The room I was given was clean, large, and very nicely furnished with king bed, desk, chair/ottoman, fridge, microwave & coffeepot. The indoor waterpark is small but it was also a lot of fun. I went down the waterslide about 30 times and loved it. The chlorine can be a bit harsh on your skin after a couple hours so be careful. Breakfast was not quite as good as some other HIX I have been at, but still decent for a free hot breakfast. Overall, I can't figure out how this hotel ranks so low.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2010

Now, let me first put out there that I redeemed my Priority Rewards points and got 2 rooms for two nights for free. So my level of disappointment has to be great to rate this stay horrible. We stayed on a Fri & Sat night.

The hotel is actually located in Cutlerville, about 6-8 miles from Downtown Grand Rapids. The hotel is right off the highway and you can access Downtown within 5-8 minutes.

With that being said, we were assigned two "King Bed Leisure" Rooms. These rooms consisted of a King bed a mini fridge, a tube TV (with horrible recpetion - but had AV jacks for portable DVD players), and a small desk area. The room states that it is a room for 4, but there was NO PULL OUT COUCH. I guess they expected all 4 of us to sleep in the same bed. Which we attempted with horrible results for my back.

Overall,the room was a little small for a family of 4 with luggage. But like I said, I go the room for free, so I aint complaining too much.

Accompaning me (age 37) was my wife, 5 year old daughter, and 3 year old son. The other party we brought with us also included 4 people of about the same age. The rooms only came with 2 water park passes. You needed the passes to (I think) enter the entire pool area. However, no one ever checked until there was in injury to a child and the mgr. was on site. Other than that, the 17-19 year old "life gaurds" could really give a crap if you had them or not. Additional passes could be purchased for $20.00 each.

The water park was small, if comparing to Great Wolf Lodge, but for the age group of our kids it was perfect. The pool was 3.5 feet deep, allowing my daughter to swim freely and rest by standing. The pool was not huge, and if 15 or so people were in it, it got a little crazy. They had a hot tub which worked as anticipated. Kids were not allowed in the hot tub and the "life gaurds" enforced that rule. There also was a mini-lazy river. This was a "whirlpool" that you basically floated around in a circle. The kids loved it and parents did as well. The big slide was great!! You had to be 48'' tall to ride it and they did enforce that as well. Only single riders, no sitting a child below 48'' on your lap.

The air temp in the pool/park area was a little chilly. My 3 year old was chattering due to the low air temp. The kids play area with the wading pool was nice and it had two little slides. It also had some levers and wheels to turn to turn on/off the water.

Peak hours at the pool were around 11-12 noon. The pool opened up @ 9 am and the slides @ 10am. If you are an early riser, I suggest to hit the pool as soon as it opens to avoid the masses. The pool seemed to thin out around lunch time until 3-4pm when the new hotel guest were just starting to check in.

Overall the pool/park area was great for our 5 and 3 year olds. The only thing I would complain about was the air temp, which was a little cold. I would not suggest taking children in the 12-17 year age as they would get bored fast. Plus during peak hours, the pool gets a little full.

Breakfast consisted of waffles, yogurt, milk, cereal, scrambled eggs, bagels...etc. It was great to start the day with a free breakfast.

The staff were great to deal with, and the fish tank in the lobby was a favorite for the kids. Elevators were operating, and the grounds and hotel overall was very clean and we had no issues with room cleanliness.

The fitness center consisted of 2 treadmills and a rowing machine.

Over all, I would say it was a great stay for us (it was free), but for $100.00 + a room I would rather stay at Great Wolf Lodge as 4 passes are included with the room and there is alot more to do. But for a night or a quick weekend getaway with the kids it is fine.

I just checked the room rates and they run between $108.00 and $126.00 that is TOO MUCH for this hotel, once you factor in that you have to buy $20.00 additional park passes for EACH DAY you stay. If you can get it for $75-$85, I'd say ok...but this $100.00+ business is unacceptable. If you can negotiate free park passes for your entire family..good. If not...go to Great Wolf Lodge...you will get more for yor money.

• Stayed: March 2010
4  Thank microbrew22
Reviewed March 4, 2010

I had a good time until I got home and realized the hotel staff had chemicals in pool to strong ,and my 4yr old ,7yr old, and self had burns on skin. Management said they were going to refund all of my money but instead over charged me. I then called and tried to have a civilized conversation with the head manager ,he called me a liar and claimed he never said that he was going to refund my money. I am currently dealing with the corporate office ,it is out of principle now not finacial gain !!!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
Ramada Plaza Grand Rapids
#40 of 48 in Grand Rapids
Hyatt Place Grand Rapids-South
Baymont Inn & Suites Grand Rapids SW/Byron Center

Been to Holiday Inn Express South? Share your experiences!