“Don't expect anything good!”

Holiday Inn Express South
Ranked #21 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
“Don't expect anything good!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Booked my reservation online to save time. When the plans changed I tried to cancel one night and was told by the management that we could cancel no problem but no refund would be given. This was about a week from the date of our stay. What I found out later was there was a college graduation that weekend so they would have double dipped the room. We obviously stayed the extra night and when we arrived at 11:00 PM they had "no clean room for us" even though we had a reservation!!! We had to settle on a lesser room with no price adjustment. The pool was freshly painted which ruined swimsuits and the elevator broke. After we left I discovered after checking my credit card statement that they charged me an additional $50.00! When I called they said it was for the rest of the reservation! I did finally receive a credit but not after several phone calls. Long story short, STAY AWAY!!!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Mdp1178
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express South, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Mdp1178,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back.

Ferdinand G.
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Northern Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Well, It's a Holiday Inn. High-traffic hotel. The "waterpark" is not a waterpark. It is a couple of small pools with some water sprays, toddler water-slide and one adult water slide. There are a lot of people in these pools. Too many people. The lifegaurds seemed to watch the pools pretty well, although the guy monitoring the adult slide was sitting on the railing at the top of the slide, with one leg dangling over the edge (25 ft up), hardly an example for others.

The rooms were clean. The hot breakfast that is included with your stay is actually pretty good. There were scrambled eggs, sausage, pancakes, muffins, biscuits w/gravy. cold cereals, instant cereals, yogurt, milk, and a few other things.
UNFORTUNATELY... the hotel does nothing about guests who come directly from their rooms in the morning and proceed to the breakfast room in their pajamas, many BAREFOOT! This was disgusting. There is a small sign on a table when you enter the breakfast room that states people must have shoes on, but without enforcement, the sign is no good.

The $25 charge per person for the waterpark is outrageous, because its really just a couple of pools with slides and some spraying water.

The beds were worn and the televison stations were limited.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express South, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Tarsu,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am pleased to know you find our hotel to your liking, it is always a pleasure hearing we are doing it right. We value you as our Priority Club Gold Elite member. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations and for that please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience the breakfast area may have caused you. I appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services.

I hope this would not deter you from choosing us again in the future.

Krysllin G.
East Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

I brought my family here for a few days as a mini getaway. The hotel is beautiful, clean, and pleasant. The water park is little, but wonderful! The breakfast is one of the best Hotel breakfasts we've had in a long time.
On the downside, the halls are VERY noisy, especially if you stay anywhere near the pool, which is where my handicapped accessible room was located.
When I called to make the reservation, I informed the CSR that we would have 5 people - 2 adults and 3 children. I was told that my room rate only included 4 water park admissions. I said that was fine, because I am disabled and in a wheelchair, so I would likely not be able to use the pool anyway. She said I would have to pay an additional $20 for entry if I would like to use it.
When we got there, the clerk at the desk gave us 5 bracelets for the pool. I didn't question it, but I guess should have. I decided during a quiet time in the park, that I would use the hot tub for a short time. I wheeled myself into the area, and had my husband help me into the tub. I couldn't stay very long, and then went back to my room. In the morning, the itemized bill had a $40 charge for 2 additional days of wristbands for the aquatic center. I went to the counter to debate this, as I had asked upon reservation. The manager/owner informed me that it wouldn't have mattered if I used the pool or not, because since there were 5 people on the property who slept in the room and ate breakfast, that $40 was part of the fee for the extra person! He was unbelievable rude and literally yelled at me, following me down the hall yelling at me! They then DEACTIVATED our key cards before we had even checked out, and before the 11:00 checkout time!
A different woman at the counter DID remove the $40 charge from my bill in the long run, but I still called the corporate hotline. I was told by a representative then, that ALL CHILDREN STAY AND EAT FREE in every Holiday Inn in the country. She was very kind and said she'd issue a refund check for half of the cost of one night stay to try to make amends for the situation.

What it comes down to here, is that the property was lovely, most of the staff was wonderful and went out of their way to be helpful to me and my family, and the corporate customer service person was immensely apologetic and kind. However, I will NEVER stay there again and would not recommend it to anyone. I don't take kindly to people lying to my face, making up there own rules when they clearly are not the standards of the company, and actually raising there voice and YELLING at me. When I told the man that I would be reporting this to corporate Holiday Inn he shouted GOOD! at me! Never again. Absolutely Never Again!

Room Tip: Avoid staying near the pool if you can! LOUD!!!!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Andi C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express South, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Andi C,

Ferdinand G.
Trenton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and I were pleasantly surprised as I booked the the room before reading the rating as my grandson's hockey team was staying there. The rooms were very clean the the front desk was very accommodating. Nice breakfast also. Would definitely recommend the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel with my family/extended family and had an excellent time! The water park was amazing for a small scale water park, the kids loved it. The rest of the family was very happy we chose this hotel. We had great service, the rooms were clean and nicely decorated. We were quite impressed as we are from the Chicago area. We were not from the area so we asked for a local authentic Italian restaurant, the desk attendant recommended Russo's Pizza in Wyoming MI., They were excellent very authentic, homemade great Italian food! We had Cannolli's, Pizza and homemade Lasagna,,,Yummm. Thanks Russo's and Holiday Inn for recommending them. We will definitely come back and stay and eat Russo's food again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Caledonia, mi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

I also had problems with being reimbursed They say one thing....and do another. I was overcharged and was told it would be taken care of ....but never was. I emailed and called many, many times and was promised it would be handled. I would not trust this place. I can't believe they treat people so badly. STAY AWAY!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Julie415

Travelers are raving about these Grand Rapids hotels

Macomb, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

I enjoyed my visit. I was checked in and off to my room that was spotless. My room faced the freeway, but the road traffic was not noticeable. In addition, the hotel is about 3 minutes from Hwy. 131 and it's a 9 minute drive to downtown Grand Rapids. I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Coming from 96 on to 6 you then have to go through a residential area but it wasn't bad.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hampton Inn Grand Rapids-South
Baymont Inn & Suites Grand Rapids SW/Byron Center
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Grand Rapids East

Been to Holiday Inn Express South? Share your experiences!