“NIce place for young families”

Holiday Inn Express South
Ranked #21 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We stayed one night at this hotel, Holiday Inn Express South. It was just me and my 9 year old daughter. The King room with jacuzzi was nice - not HUGE - but nice. Bed was comfortable -but needed 2 more pillows - a King size bed should have 6 pillows.
The pool area is nice- there is not a place for swimming any laps - but that is okay with us. My daughter enjoyed the calm water slide and the small kiddie area was nice.
I LOVE the idea that NO ONE under 16 is allowed in the hot tub -- not even a foot!!!
And the lifeguard monitors that -- makes it nice!
I wish they would monitor the little kiddie area more often. There were some bigger kids trying to walk UP the slide -- and then they slid down the middle portion of the slides. Not only is it rude for the other people that follow the 'common sense" rule of slides are for DOWN ONLY - but it could cause for an accident and possible injury.

One area that I did report to the front desk - is that we saw a few ants in a couple ares of our room -- and also one insect/bug. The staff indicated that with the hotel a WATERPARK there may be an increase in bugs. Seemed like an odd response --- I was expecting "Thanks for bringing it to our attention, I will pass it along to the management"

Room Tip: Room #124 closest to the pool -makes it nice with families -- but you also get the loud people talki...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Stephanie B

Reviewed April 7, 2012

Room was average, Breakfast buffet was nothing to write home about. The Big Dip Waterpark was a JOKE!! Lifeguard had to keep turning the water on for the big slide to even run! Only 1 lifeguard on duty and this was SPRING BREAK! Kids were out of control in the pool area, doing flips in the pool, and the so called lifeguard just sat there and watched them do it! The lifeguard was more concerned with keeping the under 16 children out of the hot tub. My 6 yr old takes a hotter bath than the temperature of the hot tub! We will never stay at this hotel again! Terrible experience, would much rather spend a little more $ and go to Splash Universe in Dundee! And if you do choose to stay here, be sure to book your room in advance around special holidays, as they rates do go up drastically!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express South, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2012

Pam48415,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed April 6, 2012

We had a great time! Stayed over one night for the kids during spring break. Got to the hotel an hour early and they let us check in early. That was awesome! Our room was clean and roomy for the four of us. We have older kids (16 and 15 yrs) and they enjoyed the water park and the hot tub. The breakfast buffet was wonderful, but I would suggest getting there early, between 7am and 8am. By 8am it was very busy and filled with guests. Overall, our stay was wonderful!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 24, 2012

This goes down as the worst hotel property I have ever been to in my entire life! They told us that check in would be at 4pm and we couldn't get into out room until 5:25pm because of the long line! When we finally got into our room it was dirty and there was trash all over the place! We had to go back downstairs and they assigned us a new room, we didn't get into our final room until 5:45pm. We went to the waterpark and staff was absolutely horrible. The lifeguards were not paying attention to anything and one of them was falling asleep. I asked the lifeguard a question and he just kind of ignored me and walked away, he had long brown hair. Then when we finally went to our room to go to sleep, there were kids running around until 1am! We were not able to fall asleep and we had to wake up early to leave for our trip. We called customer service several times, but they never resolved the issue. One of the times the kids even banged on our door and ran away!! This woke my wife up! After a really long night, we woke up in the morning only to find a hair in my biscuits and gravy. It was a long gray piece of hair. I literally almost threw up. I couldn't take it anymore and I asked to speak to a manager. After patiently waiting I finally got a chance to speak to the owner, he was Indian and I could barley understand what he was trying to say to me. He did not do anything either to make my stay more accommodating, so I just took my kids and wife, we packed our bags and left. We're never coming back to this place, and we're telling all of our friends to never step foot on there. RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Do not go here!!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank John A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express South, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2012

John A,

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed February 2, 2012

If you're coming to Western Michigan, Grand Rapids or Kalamazoo area, this is the place to be, especially if you are traveling with Children. Starting with the built-in waterpark, you are near the John Ball Park & Zoo, Meijer Botanical Gardens, and a short drive down to Kalamazoo to the Air Zoo, as well as all the art museums, and the city-scene downtown Grand Rapids! The rooms are clean and the staff is very friendly. The rooms on the third floor are 'loft suites' with a second-floor bedroom and rough-hewn wood bunk-beds with it's own bathroom, as well as a master bedroom, and living room area, with a fold-out couch. The only downside I found is they have very limited parking.

Room Tip: If you have kids, try to ask for a loft suite.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 12, 2012

We selected this hotel thinking it was a good place for families, given that there is a water park at the hotel. The water park is small, good for families with small kids during a slow, non-crowded stay. We stayed in a standard room - a king size bed with a sleeper sofa. One disappointment because it was not communicated on the website: they would not provide a rollaway cot because it would violate fire codes. Another item not communicated ahead of time: a $100 security deposit is required at checkin. We stayed over the New Year weekend, and it turned out that there were special activities on NYE for the family to celebrate. However, I believe that the staff was overwhelmed with the large number of people during the holiday weekend. This showed up in a number of ways: no early check-ins, our keycard expired at the end of the 1st and 2nd days without explanation, did not clean the room unless I called to request a cleaning, the same hot breakfast was served all 5 days of our stay. The hotel is probably fine for a one- or two-night stay during a slow period. But we will not likely return since we stay for many nights when we are in town visiting family.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MamaMay0402
Reviewed December 1, 2011

We stayed one night with our 3 boys. Ages 10y, 13y, 16y. The hotel needed some cleaning. It looks newer from the outside but the inside is pretty worn. The staff was very nice and helpful. No complaints there. Our room was a double. Standard room. Standard size. The bathroom had a sour smell but wa clean. The room wad clean too. A little outdated but we didn't feel like it was dirty. The Hallway was very noisey with kids running through the hallway, but that is a parent problem, not a hotel problem. The pool/slide area is small. The kids liked it though, but were bored pretty fast. I think it's better for smaller kids. They have a large eating area upstairs from the pool. Good for parties. I not it was worth the price we paid. Won't stay there again unless t price comes down.

• Stayed: September 2011